Hey all, with the aquisition of a new job, I've also been looking into new amps. Now I've always wanted a Fender SuperChamp, mostly because of the price and the tube wattage is just right for me. But then, when visiting Musician's Friend, I saw these Crate Vs. 18 watts. $150. Top seller. All tube. And so I was thinking to myself that these had to be the cheapest tube amps ever. Decent reviews off of that site too. So i was wondering as a potential buyer and amp-noob, what's UG's view on these?
MY STUFF

Epiphone Les Paul Standard-Ebony
Silvertone 10 wt Amp
Digitech RP50

Quote by AmonMortem
This is the Internet. Men are men, and girls are FBI agents in disguise.

Member #19 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
i have no idea but i was gonna buy one just cause they were so dam cheap. crazy good deal. a couple months ago they were twice the price.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
things are bad ass, ive got the halkstack, its ballin
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
ive tried both amps, and altough the fender isnt a genuine tube amp its the definate winner.
Super champ XD for the win.
i like the 1st channel cause its non digital, pure analog, the 2nd channel is the digital voicing with tubes, you wouldnt tell its digital touch from how it sounds.
ive heard wonder stories of this amp with tube changes and a cheap 50$ speaker swap.
oh, btw, is there a cheap way to make the 1 channel amps 2 channels?
MY STUFF

Silvertone 10 wt Amp
Digitech RP50

Quote by AmonMortem

Yeah those Crate V's are great deals, I have a little 5w palomino which is similar to the V's and when it cost 200 bucks it still sounds amazing for such a low price.

And yeah, get maybe a distortion pedal or an overdrive pedal, and it will be like having multiple channels.
So all in all; SuperChamp VS. Crate V + Distortion pedal
MY STUFF

Silvertone 10 wt Amp
Digitech RP50

Quote by AmonMortem

Go superchamp, with that crate you get what you pay for and it definetly doesn't have that warmth tube amps usually have. It's better than a low to midrange solid state, but it's not the sound you should be getting with a tube amp.

Go fender for sure.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
Go superchamp, with that crate you get what you pay for and it definetly doesn't have that warmth tube amps usually have. It's better than a low to midrange solid state, but it's not the sound you should be getting with a tube amp.

Go fender for sure.

the crate is a tube...

depends what kinda music you play man. the crate is more of a rock amp with mid range gain level. throw an OD on top of it...youre into the hard rock realm. try one out...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
the crate is a tube...

depends what kinda music you play man. the crate is more of a rock amp with mid range gain level. throw an OD on top of it...youre into the hard rock realm. try one out...

I know it's a tube amp. I said it's not as warm as tube amps usually are. you get what you pay for with it. I was going to settle for it a few months back untill I found my deville cheap used. I was kind of upset with it because it didn't sound all that "tubelike", as much as I wanted to, I couldn't buy it for that reason.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
everyone's ear is different. just gonna leave it at that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Crates have reliability issues. They're Chinese made.

I'd get the Superchamp.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman

I'd get the Superchamp.

Superchamp XD is also Chinese made, not mexican.

In any case, the thing with tube is that, if it screw up (even a very bad one), you can mod it to make it good. However, if a solidstate is fried, that's that.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by l3p4rd
I know it's a tube amp. I said it's not as warm as tube amps usually are. you get what you pay for with it. I was going to settle for it a few months back untill I found my deville cheap used. I was kind of upset with it because it didn't sound all that "tubelike", as much as I wanted to, I couldn't buy it for that reason.

Subjective evaluation of tone is subjective.
Quote by imgooley

Subjective evaluation of tone is subjective.

And quoting Static X, Marshall MG's tone is crushing. See? Purely Subjective
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by dudetheman

I'd get the Superchamp.

Wow we have about 3 or 4 Crate V threads every week. I do not recall one single thread where someone had a problem with it. Where do you get the reliability statement? The old SS crates from 10 years ago yea. Not the V series.
The SuperChamp XD is a good amp as well, so TS you need to try them both and see what you prefer. The SCXD has a lot more options/effects, the crate is pretty straight forward.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Whatever, personally I think it sounds like poo. Suit yourself.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Jestersage
And quoting Static X, Marshall MG's tone is crushing. See? Purely Subjective

Quote by gregs1020
Wow we have about 3 or 4 Crate V threads every week. I do not recall one single thread where someone had a problem with it. Where do you get the reliability statement? The old SS crates from 10 years ago yea. Not the V series.
The SuperChamp XD is a good amp as well, so TS you need to try them both and see what you prefer. The SCXD has a lot more options/effects, the crate is pretty straight forward.

+1...that is what i was gonna say basically.

also the Crate would break up sooner then a Deville for example.
Quote by MetalMan-93

I'm questioning how it warmed up so fast, even if it's already warm, I've never gotten sound that fast when I turned a tube amp back on.

That probably didn't make sense, I can't see straight I'm so tired.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
i think the fender is the better amp, hands down.
just cause something is tube it dosent mean it makes everything else that isnt tube complete shit.
the crates are cheap tube amps, and they dont sound all that amazing.
the fender an the other hand isnt all tube, but at least to me it is the clear winner for versatility and a really good tone.
id chose fenders modelling amp over line 6's any day, id have to say the super champ XD is on par or even better than the flextone.
Quote by THEKID546

the crates are cheap tube amps, and they dont sound all that amazing.

My Palomino is made by Crate and is fukin amazing when cranked. I am a tonefreak and am very picky about tone too.
^yes man thats awesome, right here where talking about crate V's and those where some amps i was willing to vouch for, but these new crate V's are nothing like the palominos.
and you owning one and all you should know.

Most of the thing I noticed with the current V's is the speaker. I run mine through a Palomino cab, and it sounds pretty good.
My V18 sounds nice once you dial it in properly, I don't think it sounds particularly sterile or or cold at all. It's not a high quality tube amp, but it feels very organic and musical, much moreso than anything else I've tried in the price range.

Mine does constantly smell hot, it frightens me, but I haven't had any actual performance issues yet, even when playing for hours on end. I'll probably install an 80mm fan or two into it before too long.