Hello,
I have been recording for about a year, using a boss micro br to record then mixing/editing my songs using mixcraft, this has provided alright quality for the amount of gear I have, but I want something that will get better recordings initially as i find the br to be very noisey at times, especially when using the built in mic.

Recently, I bought an old Power Mac G4, it's not the faster of things, but it came with cubase which is a step up from mixcraft on my pc

I basically want something i can record directly from the source to the mac without having to export it to mp3/load it on my pc.

Its not the fastest of computers, so it can't be anything too complex.

I was thinking getting a yamaha MG124C
http://www.yamaha.de/yamaha_europe/uk/20_proaudio/10_mixers/10_no_category/10_analog_mixers/40_mg_series/30_MG124C/index.html

and an m-audio audiophile 2496
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html

and obviously some microphones, but i am just focused on the actual recorder at the moment.

With this set up, would i be able to mix the tracks in real-time?
I’m sorry I’m asking so many questions, I’m just confused with all the different methods.

My budget is around £250-£350
If there are any other questions, please ask, sorry it's so long!
Well, there are cheaper alternatives, and those G4s are pretty decent...I can have them running Reason and Pro Tools without a sweat. What exactly are you recording, and are you planning on doing live stuff with that mixer?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I run a Yamah Mixer and 2496 combo myself however I dont suggest going for that...It has quite a few limits and even I am looking for a new interface once I get the money.

Also +1 on Fast Finger's comments
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Well, there are cheaper alternatives, and those G4s are pretty decent...I can have them running Reason and Pro Tools without a sweat. What exactly are you recording, and are you planning on doing live stuff with that mixer?

At the moment, i'm recording my band, using midi drums, but i guess eventually i'd like to be able to fully record a drum kit, and maybe a gig, but that's not a priority whatsoever.

So, i'm not really using it for live work, 90% it will be for the studio.

Quote by moody07747
I run a Yamah Mixer and 2496 combo myself however I dont suggest going for that...It has quite a few limits and even I am looking for a new interface once I get the money.

What sort of limitations does it have?

Thanks to both of you.
Well, the limits Moody is saying is that, compared to Firewire interfaces like this (which I recommend, and it can do drums in the future), when you record you'll only have a stereo signal to work with. That's fine if you are experienced with panning and levels, but if you want control over each microphone track after recording, go with a digital Firewire/PCI interface. As for your MIDI drums, get this.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
exactly as Fast Fingers said. I dislike that everything is mixed down...
Also there isnt enough outputs on this card to really work with monitored mixes.
Lastly, its a RCA unbalanced jack without any preamp.

Overall it's better to go with an outboard interface such as a firewire based model.
Yeah, I think i'll go with the FP10 faster fingers suggested.
How much money would it cost to buy microphones for micing a drum kit/recording guitar/bass and vocals?
I'll probably get a Shure SM57 for the guitar, but i'm completely lost when it comes to recording drums/vocals on which mic to use, i've read bits of tweaks guide, so i'll re-read it again.
Thanks to both of you!
Tweaks guide should go over and help you with mic choices but there's a section on their boards that goes over drums and such:

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=48&sid=768ff6e3a44dd904631be2c829a1c5bc

It's not going to be cheap so expect to pay quite a bit if you want good drum mics...probably over $700

Most studios use LD Condensers for vocals as they sound best in that application. You do need a quiet location to use these type mics though as they will record a whole room.

The 57 is nice to have in any setting as it works fro a lot of things such as toms, snare, guitar cabs and some vocals...although I would not suggest the 57 for vocals if you have a condenser.