Hey guys,

I have been considering selling my Les Paul since I never really played it much and it was collecting dust but I've had a change of heart as of late. I picked it up and started playing it and it has a certain mojo about it that I just love. Since I can't get rid of it, I figured I'd swap the parts.

What I have in mind right now is this:

Grover rotomatic tuners (silver)

Tone Pros TP6 and VTNA bridge and tailpiece (silver)

Gold pickup rings.

Either Dimarzio pickups or Voodoo pickups.

500K or 1meg tone and volume pots. ( I was also thinking of a no-load pot for the neck)

0.05uf Orange Drop capacitors

Tusk nut.

Does UG dig?

Any suggestions?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I wouldn't use 1meg pots. 500K are probably what you want. You can go lower for a softer, more vintage sound, but 1megs do not sound good in LPs IMO. Plus the taper is usually bad.
.05 orange drops aren't the best choice either. I'd use a mojotone.com Vitamin T .022 in the bridge and .015 in the neck. If you can't get those caps from mojotone then use those same values but with Mallory 150s.
I'd go for the locking rotomatics too, by the way. The regular ones are good but the locking ones make string changes a lot easier and ring a little better.
Tusq nut sounds cool but that's the one thing I haven't replaced on my LP so I can't help you there.
Quote by Roc8995
I wouldn't use 1meg pots. 500K are probably what you want. You can go lower for a softer, more vintage sound, but 1megs do not sound good in LPs IMO. Plus the taper is usually bad.
.05 orange drops aren't the best choice either. I'd use a mojotone.com Vitamin T .022 in the bridge and .015 in the neck. If you can't get those caps from mojotone then use those same values but with Mallory 150s.
I'd go for the locking rotomatics too, by the way. The regular ones are good but the locking ones make string changes a lot easier and ring a little better.
Tusq nut sounds cool but that's the one thing I haven't replaced on my LP so I can't help you there.

I have the 500k pots in right now actually. Are the stock Gibby ones fine or should I upgrade them? Any suggestions?

Would the .015 in the neck make it brighter?

I can get the standard Rotomatics for stupid cheap which is why I'm leaning towards them.

What do you think about a no load pot for the neck?

Thanks for the advice.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
No-load pots are more or less useless in LPs. They're good in Fenders where the tone is already bright and it adds a little punch, but the LP tone needs some loading of the signal right away or it gets too thin and trebley.
The stock gibson pots are OK, they're certainly farther down the replacement list than say the pickups or the tone caps. I tried a lot of pots and finally settled on the RS superpots for the volume and regular RS for the tone controls, all 500K. A good set of CTS pots is 90% as good as the RS stuff if you don't want to pay the extra it costs for those.
A .015 won't make the neck brighter, but it allows the tone control to be useful in the brighter range. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not, but the point is you want to keep the neck tone from not being muddy all the way down to 1-2 and then go into Woman tone right at 0-1, and I've found the .015 is the best value for that.
If you're going to rewire the whole thing I've got a wiring mod I can post. I tried a lot and it's the "best" one I came up with for clarity and versatility.
Edit:
here's the wiring.

If I were you I'd order from Mojotone, they've got all the right stuff for that mod- Vitamin T caps for the blue, tantalum for the green (those are treble bleed caps BTW, they keep the tone from getting muddy when you turn down the volume.) They've also got solid-core cloth wiring which sounds good and is a lot more fun to work with than the radio-shack stuff that's in there now.
I forgot to add that it's not a bad idea to remove the big plate that the pots are mounted on. It makes it a lot easier to swap out pots.
Quote by Roc8995
No-load pots are more or less useless in LPs. They're good in Fenders where the tone is already bright and it adds a little punch, but the LP tone needs some loading of the signal right away or it gets too thin and trebley.
The stock gibson pots are OK, they're certainly farther down the replacement list than say the pickups or the tone caps. I tried a lot of pots and finally settled on the RS superpots for the volume and regular RS for the tone controls, all 500K. A good set of CTS pots is 90% as good as the RS stuff if you don't want to pay the extra it costs for those.
A .015 won't make the neck brighter, but it allows the tone control to be useful in the brighter range. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not, but the point is you want to keep the neck tone from not being muddy all the way down to 1-2 and then go into Woman tone right at 0-1, and I've found the .015 is the best value for that.
If you're going to rewire the whole thing I've got a wiring mod I can post. I tried a lot and it's the "best" one I came up with for clarity and versatility. I'll dig up the picture, one sec.

That would be great! Hopefully it's not too complicated as it's difficult to work on my Les Paul since there are no back cavities.

Any recommendations for pickups?

Right now I was thinking Bare Knuckle Pickups Black Dogs or Cold Sweats and I'm not quite sure what I want for the neck.

I want a very warm, almost single coil tone so I was thinking a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I've got a SD custom shop JB in the bridge and an APC custom PAF in the neck. I think you'll find that with the treble bleed caps and any good PAF copy in the neck that turning down the volume and adjusting the tone a bit will give you a really nice single-coil sort of tone. Pure nickel strings really help with that since they're output is a bit lower and they ring really nicely in the neck position a la SRV. PAFs are really the way to go in a LP neck IMO.
The bridge pickup is really to taste- PAFs are good, JBs are awesome if you get the right wiring and adjust them properly, those bareknuckles should be great.
What LP do you have that doesn't have a back cavity?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I want a very warm, almost single coil tone so I was thinking a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell.

Huh? Do you mean bright? The reason I sold my les paul is because it was warm... If you want a single coil tone then perhaps some seymour duncan phat cats? Basically P-90s in a humbucker size.
Quote by supergerbil
Huh? Do you mean bright? The reason I sold my les paul is because it was warm... If you want a single coil tone then perhaps some seymour duncan phat cats? Basically P-90s in a humbucker size.

Bright was what I was going for but I had a little brain fart.

Not looking for a P-90 kind of sound. Had an SG with P-90s and I didn't like it.

Quote by Roc8995
I've got a SD custom shop JB in the bridge and an APC custom PAF in the neck. I think you'll find that with the treble bleed caps and any good PAF copy in the neck that turning down the volume and adjusting the tone a bit will give you a really nice single-coil sort of tone. Pure nickel strings really help with that since they're output is a bit lower and they ring really nicely in the neck position a la SRV. PAFs are really the way to go in a LP neck IMO.
The bridge pickup is really to taste- PAFs are good, JBs are awesome if you get the right wiring and adjust them properly, those bareknuckles should be great.
What LP do you have that doesn't have a back cavity?

Les Paul Supreme. The cavity is where the jack plate is. Not fun to work on. I can hardly reach in to work on the pots. Pure nickel strings I'll check out. I'd like the pickup to sound single coilish at full tilt as well. I'll definately try to pick up those caps. I'll see if I can pick them up from Mojotone. What's the delivery time like?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Mine came in three days, I'm not sure what shipping time to Canada would be.
I figured it was the Supreme since that's the only Paul I know of with no back cavity- but you said you hadn't played it in a while, and I don't know anybody with a LP supreme who doesn't play it every day :p
If you want single-coil tones through the whole range of the volume you can either use a PAF and lower it a bit more than usual and use nickel strings, or get a P-90. I haven't tried the HFH.
Quote by supergerbil
How about seymour duncan p-rails?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/movies-static/p_rails_videos.shtml

Humbucker tones and real single coil tones...

I was thinking about the P-rails. The only problem is I don't want to do any routing for the mini toggle switch. I suppose I could wire it to a push pull pot.

Quote by Roc8995
Mine came in three days, I'm not sure what shipping time to Canada would be.
I figured it was the Supreme since that's the only Paul I know of with no back cavity- but you said you hadn't played it in a while, and I don't know anybody with a LP supreme who doesn't play it every day :p
If you want single-coil tones through the whole range of the volume you can either use a PAF and lower it a bit more than usual and use nickel strings, or get a P-90. I haven't tried the HFH.

Yeah, I never really liked how the guitar sounds, which is why I never play it. It plays well and resonates well though.

I'll probably end up getting the humbucker from hell and the BKP or a Suhr pickup.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
... Yeah, I never really liked how the guitar sounds, which is why I never play it. It plays well and resonates well though. ...
Blasphemy! I imagine one would audition such an expensive piece before buying, etc. I know the transparent finish is sexylicious; however, did you just buy it for the looks? Or was it such an awesome price nobody would have declined it?

To Colin: Very good walkthrough and explanation!

Quote by Ippon
Blasphemy! I imagine one would audition such an expensive piece before buying, etc. I know the transparent finish is sexylicious; however, did you just buy it for the looks? Or was it such an awesome price nobody would have declined it?

To Colin: Very good walkthrough and explanation!

It was more like I had it ordered straight from the factory because the store didn't have the finish I wanted and they sent me a turd.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It was more like I had it ordered straight from the factory because the store didn't have the finish I wanted and they sent me a turd.
But if you auditioned it, how could the sound, which is your issue, be so off from your initial auditions?

I'm suspecting you played it on some nice tube amps and when you got home and plugged it to your Marshall MG Full Stack, it sounded off. TBH, the Marshall MG has to go. There are lots of decently-priced tube amps, go here: Amps Q&A - Which Amp?

Good Luck!

Quote by Ippon
But if you auditioned it, how could the sound, which is your issue, be so off from your initial auditions?

I'm suspecting you played it on some nice tube amps and when you got home and plugged it to your Marshall MG Full Stack, it sounded off. TBH, the Marshall MG has to go. There are lots of decently-priced tube amps, go here: Amps Q&A - Which Amp?

Good Luck!

Are you serious? Have you checked my gear?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Are you serious? Have you checked my gear?
Nothing to be ashamed of, really. Most beginners get taken by the Marshall logo and not realize the huge difference between an SS amp vs. a tube amp ... I suppose you found the full stack impressive-looking.

Quote by Ippon
Nothing to be ashamed of, really. Most beginners get taken by the Marshall logo and not realize the huge difference between an SS amp vs. a tube amp ... I suppose you found the full stack impressive-looking.

Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by timi_hendrix
Ippon what the fuck are you chatting about?

I'm wondering the same
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by timi_hendrix
Ippon what the fuck are you chatting about?
I'm merely explaining to H4T3BR33D3R that a Gibson SG Supreme will sound off on his MG Full Stack at home if he auditioned it on a tube/valve amp ... and not to feel bad about buying an SS full stack, a common noob mistake.

Man Ippon, you totally blew my mind
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm so utterly confused right now
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I'm so utterly confused right now

You know what, you can't be half as confused as me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Roc8995

i spy ground loop?

or would that be if the top right and bottom left were connected too?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Ippon

Colin's posts were very helpful, though. Now I have some guidance on future experiments/tweaks. So it's cool.

Ippon......

Please go to the man's gear on his profile.

Unless you were kidding.....

But if you weren't......
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i spy ground loop?

Nope, it's dead quiet.
You can of course omit any one of those red wires and it will work. I put them all in because it looks cooler

Vitamin Qs. They're old (50s) mil-spec paper in oil caps, and they're triple-sealed. So yes, they are huge.
Do they make a noticeable difference to tone? (not to hijack TS's thread)
Absolutely they do. Different kinds of caps cut the treble very differently- ceramic caps have a very severe and complete attenuation, so they get muddy and are more or less unusable. Paper in oil caps mellow out the high end but don't seem to attenuate it completely, so you can turn all the way down to 0 on the neck pickup and it still won't be muddy. Tone caps are really cheap and they're the easiest way to improve the versatility of your guitar. Most people have the standard tone cap still in and never move the knob from 10 because it just gets muddy.
Here's a grid of the caps I tried (Y means I tried it) -
.015 .022 .033 .047
Y.......Y............................Vitamin Q
.........Y......Y......Y.............Bumblebee
Y.......Y.......Y......Y.............mallory 150
Y.......Y.......Y......Y.............orange drop
........Y...............Y.............green poly
........Y...............Y.............ceramic
Y.......Y............................."audiophile"
Y.......Y.............................Vitamin T

There's a blog in my profile describing the various tone caps and how to choose them, that might be a good thing to reference.