Hi,

On monday i am going to buy a new acoustic guitar.
I mainly play Metallica, The Unforgiven and fade to black etc.

- So i was wondering: Does James Hetfield play Western guitars (Steel-strings), or does i mainly play the songs on spanish/Classical guitars (Nylon-strings)?

- Peter
I think he plays a nylon string on the unforgiven and a regular acoustic on fade to black,nothing else matters and other songs like that.
I would go with the nylon string(just my preferance)
GEAR

ESP LTD F-155 DX BASS
Epiphone Thunderbird bass
Samic cr1 bt bass

Dunlop bass crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Bass Overdrive Pedal
Boss bass chorus
Zoom 607 multy effects pedal

Ashdown 180 watt bass amp
Mega 30 watt

METAL UP 'UR ASSS
Steel string I would say from what I've seen. I've never seen anyone play on a nylon string unless its classical. Anyway, the sound of a steel string is so much nicer.
Thanks, for the quick reply.

So is steel-stringed acoustic-guitars primary played with a pick or is it just as common to use finger picking?
^--Both are very common.

If you're wanting to play Metallica songs on an acoustic then a steel string would be better suited.
It's just as common to fingerpick as it is to play with a plectrum and really comes down to preference.
I saw a video of a live concert and they just turned off the distortion and played with their electrics. I think a nylon would be better for like the intros, but if you wanted to play whole songs acousticly, steel would be better. Both would work though.
I feel that steel strings are more versatile really so I'd go with those.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!