So I am going to college next year. Yesterday I took a tour of a local college that seemed interesting to me. After concluding the tour, I decided that this was a place that I would really like to go to for college. My mom, who had accompanied me on the tour, told me afterwards that she wouldn't plan on me living on campus. I was quite surprised to hear her say that. My sister is currently a senior in college, and she lives on campus. Her college is about 40 minutes away. The college that I toured is about 30 minutes away. When she started going to college there in 2004, my parents and she decided that it would cost too much money in gas to commute back and forth every day. Obviously, gas has risen a lot since then, and I would have to pay a lot more to commute back and forth from the school I want to go to than she would have had to back then. My sister goes to a private school, and it costs between $25,000-$30,000 per year. The school I want to go to costs about $16,000 per year, including the cost of the dorm.

So I guess my question is, do you think this is unfair? My mom said it doesn't have anything to do with our financial situation, so I know it's not that. I'm not someone who likes introducing myself in the class room, so chances are I wouldn't meet many people at college if I didn't live on campus. I told her that, but it didn't really seem to matter to her.

I haven't applied yet, but the requirements for acceptance are I believe a GPA of at least 2.5 and at least an 18 on the ACT/865 on the SAT, so it should be easy.
If she doesn't want to pay for a dorm on campus, offer to get a job and help pay for it.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Hmm...that is rather weak of your mom. I personally don't like dorms (I'm a germ freak), but it's a great place to meet new people and make new friends and get some hot lovin'.

Has she said why she doesn't want you to be in that dorm? Also maybe you can look for out of state colleges. Then she can't really do anything.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by dudetheman
If she doesn't want to pay for a dorm on campus, offer to get a job and help pay for it.

I've been trying to get a job, but I haven't had any success. I don't think that would change her mind, anyway.

It's really annoying because she says stuff like "Well, let's not make any desicions yet." but also keeps saying stuff like "When you commute there and back..".

Has she said why she doesn't want you to be in that dorm? Also maybe you can look for out of state colleges. Then she can't really do anything.

Just the closeness, apparently. Yeah, that is true, but you gt a discountifyou go to an in state college. Plus, I would like to be able to go to a college where I could live at home if something bad happened.
I have no idea what a GPA is but whatever. I suppose your mom likes you more and that's why she is willing to pay the gas money for you and not your sister. That way your mom sees you everyday and not your sister. Just a theory.
Quote by freedoms_stain
It's not really a matter of what's fair is it? It's a matter of what your parents can afford.

Well, like I said, she said it didn't have anything to do with our finances. Of course, she could be lying, but I hope she would be honest with me at this point in time.
Is there any way you can find out why she feels this way? Maybe she just hates the thought of her bouncin baby boy leaving the nest (Mine did ). In that case it could be worked out by you guys having an open dialogue.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
pay for your own college and live on campus. you're an adult when your in campus stop mooching off mommy
Quote by Spamwise

Just the closeness, apparently. Yeah, that is true, but you gt a discountifyou go to an in state college. Plus, I would like to be able to go to a college where I could live at home if something bad happened.

To each his own I guess. I'm about 10 hours away from my house right now.

Nothing really bad happens...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by terrencemaddox
Is there any way you can find out why she feels this way? Maybe she just hates the thought of her bouncin baby boy leaving the nest (Mine did ). In that case it could be worked out by you guys having an open dialogue.

That could be. I hadn't really thought of it. It's not like I couldn't come home on weekends, though. We don't really see a whole lot of eachother as it is, though. My parents get home from work around 7:00-8:00 PM, and i live in this room in the basement, so we live pretty seperate lives.

I brought this situation up with my dad last night, and he didn't really say anything..

pay for your own college and live on campus. you're an adult when your in campus stop mooching off mommy

It's difficult to do that when you aren't able to get a job.
Quote by huevomax
I have no idea what a GPA is but whatever. I suppose your mom likes you more and that's why she is willing to pay the gas money for you and not your sister. That way your mom sees you everyday and not your sister. Just a theory.

umm?
Quote by SenorSmiley

How exactly do you propose that high school seniors today raise the tens of thousands of dollars per year needed by themselves?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well, actually, I don't think it is that she doesn't want me to live off-campus. I just remembered that we were talking about touring other campuses that are farther away, and she mentioned that I would have to live on campus if I went to those places..
Quote by metvettefreak
screw her and live on campus

I wouldn't advise that, trips home might get awkward.
Quote by monkeysintheday
you're 18 at least right? Or you will be, your decision.

I will be in Januay, yeah. It isn't when they're the ones paying for it.

I wouldn't advise that, trips home might get awkward.