The official website was very vague as to whether it was truly possible to use the D-Tuna system on a string other than the E... has anyone tried this?

I'm also wondering if the D-Tuna could be set to drop a half step, as opposed to a full step.

My projected setup would be a 7-string tuned usually to AEADGBE. A D-Tuna would be set on the 7th string, the A, to drop a whole step down to B, creating standard 7-string tuning. Another D-Tuna would be set up on the 6th string, the low E, to drop down a whole step down to D for Drop D if I ever wanted power chords in the upper octaves. And finally, there'd be one last D-Tuna system set on the 3rd string, the G, to drop down a half step for F#- baritone tuning.

Thank you.
Thats just a mess. I don't think it's worth the hassle.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
do you gig? if not, then you dont really need 2 guitars for drop D and standard...just tune the one string. as for the 7 string, just get a 7 string. you can play drop D with a 7 just fine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hassle and surrounding situations aside, is this setup possible?

See originally I was considering the Variax but there were a lot of complications, including more options than I needed, shady palm muting, subpar tremolo. Is the D-Tuna really that complicated to use (setup aside, is it easy to flick that switch?)? Because really I'd only need those four tunings, Drop A7, Standard 7, Baritone 7, and Drop D and I'd prefer that range (7 strings, 24 frets) to the Variax (6 strings, 22 frets).
Just learn to play drop d in drop a tuning. btw, you got it backwards, dropping the b down yields drop a, not the other way around. I'm intrigued with the g to f# idea, though I don't see a practical application for it...
My mistake... I meant initially it would be B, then dropped a whole step to A.

The whole point of having a 7-string in AEADGBE is the ability to have a full chord set with the top 6 strings, and then easy power chords with the bottom three strings. The problem with this setup is that you can make simple rhythms in the lower octaves, but more intricate chords can only be done in standard tuning octaves. In a studio environment it'd be great to drop the A and G for BEADF#BE for extended baritone tuning, which allows for chords based off standard tuning positions.

So pretty much it'd be all the tunings you really need, power chords and full chords on two octave levels.
In a studio environment you might as well just tune the thing down yourself rather than buy some fancy tool. Just write the whole song in that tuning, or even multiple songs. I've heard songs with complex chord work done in drop a, but it was fingerstyle jazz... it's still possible, you just have to think outside of CAGED.
Wouldn't that be a pain in the ass with OFR? Not to mention in a live situation you could change tuning pretty easily from song to song... some quick tugs and you're ready to go.
Oops, didn't consider the OFR... I don't have much experience with FR-style trems, so I don't know tbh. Sorry. If you played multiple songs in that tuning in sequence you'd only have to retune twice, once down and once up or vice versa, maybe only once if your set is split half one tuning and half the other. Honestly though I don't know.
No worries... I'm still wondering if this is at all possible. I'm waiting for someone to just say, "No it doesn't work well on a string that low" or "No, only whole steps, at least proper whole steps, are possible." According to the FAQ the D-Tuna system can work perfectly well on a guitar tuned a half step down from standard, should work with strings within the guage range of .009-.012 (well within range), "will change the pitch of any string but it is designed for the low 'E' string only"... one of the questions asks why a full drop is not occurring, and it starts a troubleshooting... but really the answers are vague, if there at all.
If it works for 9-12 it'll work on low strings as long as you have it strung with said gauge, it's the tension range more than anything really. So it'll work on a low b string, the question now is if it can do half steps or only whole steps
The say nothing about half step drops, except in this trouble-shooting document:

"Why can't I get a full step drop?
There are few things to check. First tune the "D" string. Then fine tune the "E" (using the D-tuna fine tuner). Back the fine tuner on the bridge off, then retune the "D" at the headstock. Did you use the right length locking screw? If the head sticks out of the D-tuna completely, it is too long."

Now I don't have the system or OFR in front of me so I don't really know what all these terms are referring to (e.g. fine tuner and locking screw) but I'm thinking you could adjust the screw to get a half-step... questions:
1. Is that even possible
2. If so, what measurements would get an exact half step? Trial and error? Screw it one turn here, one turn there?