I wasn't too sure where to put this thread, so if it's in the wrong place - please tell me where it does belong, or move the thread if possible.

I've been playing around with the idea of working on my vocal skill for a while now and I really want to make it happen now. I want to amplify my voice so I can hear it from the outside. That way I can really see what needs working.

However, I dont know that much about the gear that is required. Do I need a mixer? What kind of mic? Ive heard good things about the SHure SM57 or 58. I need a monitor right? What kind is best?

Any help is highly appreciated cause I have no idea what I need. I would like to be able to sing and play guitar at the same time, and add some reverb and stuff.
a small guitar practice amp will suffice untill you decide to pony up the dough for a decent PA system. definitely go with the shure mic. Get one with the switch its like 10 or 15 bucks more but it has an on/off switch. if you dont. you'll end up wishing you did. trust me i have the 58 and it doesnt have one.
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Last edited by Head BANGER 81 at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Jehuty
Ah, I didnt know that was possible. How do I set that up then? If other people have some recommendations as well, that would be highly appreciated.

just get a cable that has an XLR plug on one end and a 1/4 inch on the other and plug it straight into the input. financial limitations force me to run mine through a POS yamaha amp.
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
We've got the SM57's at school, and they're really doing their job well.

just line them in to the guitar amp without any distortion or other effects (unless you want it )
You like it
Quote by linus.d
We've got the SM57's at school, and they're really doing their job well.

just line them in to the guitar amp without any distortion or other effects (unless you want it )

And that will really sound proper? Does the quality of the amp have a big effect on the output of the sound or is it mostly the mic?

Thanks for the help guys.
What do you mean by "hear it from the outside"?

If you want to record, get an audio interface with two inputs so you can plug your mic into it and sing and your guitar can DI into the other input. PreSonus has the Inspire 1394 if you can find it for $150. It's great for the price.

There are tons of choices for mics but IMO you should go with a dynamic like the SM58.

A sequencer such as Audacity or Reaper are low in price and can do a lot.

You will be able to hear yourself by plugging some headphones into the interface.

I dont suggest running your mics into a guitar amp. the ohms are different between a pickup and mic and you wont get a great sound...trust me, ive heard the output of an amp with vocals many times...mostly at small budget parties.

If you want to amp your voice get yourself a proper PA. Phonic make some fair budget kits....just get a good mic though as that also really helps your sound a lot. The switched mics tend to break down more often which is why most pro mics dont install that bit. It's not annoying at all for me to have mics without a switch. Many times I've seen someone sing into a mic or say something only to find that the switch was off and they would have to restart again...
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 11, 2008,