That's right... another one!

Okay, to start off, i've got a Peavey Valveking 112, and i've done a number of mods to it, but i still just can't get "THE" tone out of it. So, i'm getting a job in May, and i'm just gonna save up and get the amp i need. I'm done fooling around with budget amps. I'm just gonna suck it up, and spend some cash.

Now, I want to get a certain tone (vids at bottom), and i'm wondering which amp i can get it from.
Now, these vids are of AFI, and i know Jade (guitarist) uses a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier with Marshall cabs... but i really don't want to spend that much money on a Dual Rec.

I want a head (for gigging purposes). I really don't care about price, just as long as it's cheaper than a Mesa/Boogie. But if buying the Mesa/Boogie is worth it, and is the only option for this tone, i guess i'll just have to save up... but i'm looking for a (kind of) cheaper alternative.
I'd like it to have a good lead channel, and an okay clean channel, doesn't have to be that great. But has to have pretty good distortion... just watch the vids.

I've been looking at a Marshall DSL50 for some time now... but i don't know if it would sound the same.

Basically, can people lend me some suggestions on an amp head that will sound similar to this video, or similar to a Mesa/Boogie?

(note: i don't want to sound "almost" like a Dual Rec, or "almost" like the tone in the vids... i want THE tone! If that means spending more money, then so be it. I just don't want to keep longing for that certain tone, i want it now.
But like i said, if there's an amp that will do that tone in the vids, please tell me, and i'll go try one out. )

Vids:
Main Distortion tone: linky (the band starts playing at 0:50, for impatient people )
Now, the clean tone: linky (there's a little bit of distorted parts in this song, too, which also sound like what tone i'm trying to get.)
EDIT: Here's another vid for the distorted tone. I actually like this tone a litte bit better, even though it's from the same concert. May just be the song, idk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5V5g0kdWqs

Thanks
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
possibly a mark IV?

Hmm... i've only heard of these like, maybe, once.

Do you know anything about them?
O O

___
Uhm.... Marshall cab with a Mesa Mark IV, as the guy above says. Or one of the two channel Randall MTC heads with a Blackface clean module and a Treadplate, 1086, or XTC distortion module.

The Mark IV is Mesa's most versatile head, and can achieve almost any tone with a decent OD behind it. Trouble is, it won't sound EXACTLY like a Recto, because, as people generally agree, it sounds better than a Recto. So the Randall might be your better bet. I'm getting the 3 channel head soon

Also, the Mark IV is now discontinued, but you can get them used for a very decent price on eBay.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Oct 11, 2008,
^ Yeah, you might want EMG humbuckers in your guitar to get that sound too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Jesus Christ, their singer sounds awful, like a whiny orphan...
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Quote by Habs
You are using single coil pickups...

I'm getting an Agile AL-2000 for Christmas... that should hold me untill i can afford a much better guitar.

EDIT: and @ Shinozoku: Do you mean the Randall MTS?
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 11, 2008,
hmm.... i just checked eBay or a Mark IV, and they're more than the Dual Rectos.
If that's the case, i'll just get a Dual Rectifier....

And i've got a question: How can a Dual Rectifier have 3 channels? Because i thought they only had two, but i saw one today on eBay with 3 channels. And yes, it was a Daul Rectifier...
O O

___
there are different kinds of dual rectifiers, also if i can make a suggestion that you put the extra $80 and get the Agile al-3000, it is really worth it. Going to be my next guitar X)
Correct me if I'm wrong, But doesn't it mean they have two rectifier tubes?
Quote by sesstreets
Correct me if I'm wrong, But doesn't it mean they have two rectifier tubes?

No, the Recto have nothing to do with the rectifiers, it's just to sound cool.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
You can get a Dual Rec used for like 1200-1300$ used I think. Thats really not that much for a really nice head.
Sig What?
Quote by Shinozoku
^ Yeah, you might want EMG humbuckers in your guitar to get that sound too.

i dont think Jade uses EMGs. i think he just uses stock Gibson Studio les pauls.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
i dont think Jade uses EMGs. i think he just uses stock Gibson Studio les pauls.

Yeah, he just uses stock Gibson LP Studios.

Trust me, I know exactly what he uses...
Quote by darth awsome
You can get a Dual Rec used for like 1200-1300$ used I think. Thats really not that much for a really nice head.
Yeah, i saw a few of them for new at about $1700. I only saw one used one, though. But it was $1300... so i know how much to save for now.

The Mark IV sounds like a good amp, but it's too pricy. I think i'll just get the Dual Recto, and get the tone i want, for less money.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 12, 2008,