is it possible to splice a guitar cable to a 1/8th audio cable for a pc for software like guitar rig?
why wouldnt you just by a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter at radioshack? theyre like, 3 bucks.

or better yet just get a line 6 toneport.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
but the software comes with tone port making it expensive :S
and i'm lazy to buy an adapter so I'd rather splice two cords together I just need to know if it will work the same
Quote by 877O
and i'm lazy to buy an adapter so I'd rather splice two cords together I just need to know if it will work the same

Really.
That's a total oxymoron.

Go buy an adapter.

I highly doubt it's more difficult to do that than it is to attempt to splice two completely different types of cables together. Also, if you mess up, then you're out a guitar cable that costs $20+, just go buy the little $3 adapter.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by 877O
is it possible to splice a guitar cable to a 1/8th audio cable for a pc for software like guitar rig?

You can buy a cable for that instead of splicing but either way you will have loads of latency.....get yourself a proper interface for amp software. They are called Audio Interfaces and are sold at most music stores. You can learn about this in my UG videos and at Tweak's Guide linked in my sig.

Also go to R&R for info on interfaces

It's quicker to buy an adapter or cable than splice...

Edit:
Quote by 877O
You must splice pretty slow then dude, it definitely wouldn't take ME a few minutes to drive to radioshack and buy one, plus wasting gas, even tho I get free gas but that's not the point. What's the point of running out and buying something when you have all the right tools to do it faster and for free... even tho I didn't get an answer in the time it would take to buy one, yet I got 3 responses -.-

I splice quickly however there's a RadioShack only 2 minutes from my house...

Even if you splice you are still running though a stock card which will give you latency and crap results...It's better overall to get an interface. You wouldn't need any adapters for your guitar with an interface either...
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Really.
That's a total oxymoron.

Go buy an adapter.

I highly doubt it's more difficult to do that than it is to attempt to splice two completely different types of cables together. Also, if you mess up, then you're out a guitar cable that costs $20+, just go buy the little $3 adapter.

it really is harder to go out and buy one. more time and more money. Well I guess we can forget about time. But I have an extra guitar cable and one side is messed up I have to straighten it out a certain way when playing for a signal, so I figured I'd cut it up. I splice wires all the time I just never done it with a guitar cable.
Quote by moody07747
You can buy a cable for that instead of splicing but either way you will have loads of latency.....get yourself a proper interface for amp software.

Also go to R&R for info on interfaces

It's quicker to buy an adapter or cable than splice...

You must splice pretty slow then dude, it definitely wouldn't take ME a few minutes to drive to radioshack and buy one, plus wasting gas, even tho I get free gas but that's not the point. What's the point of running out and buying something when you have all the right tools to do it faster and for free... even tho I didn't get an answer in the time it would take to buy one, yet I got 3 responses -.-
Last edited by 877O at Oct 11, 2008,
It's $3 just buy it.. Also, you'd **** up your sound card, just putting the guitar in as a straight forward input, if the factory sound scard doesn't blow, it'll just sound horrible, get yourself a sound card made for music, from guitar center or something, (this is more money) it's going to look like a mini keyboard.
Zealous Sheep
i do it all the time, its easy as to connect 2 different cables. All u need is to strip, chop, twist and tape.

U may aswell just do it, but yeah u will definately have latency problems, i did exactly that, chopped my guitar lead, and joined it to a 3.5mm rca, hooked it up to my shitty computer with fruityloops- amplitude, but i had to have it on the lowest quality settings in order to get tollerable latency, it really isnt worth it.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by 877O
]

you'll get a hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sound

go buy an interface....
or at least an adaptor....