If you have your first finger fretting a note on, say, the e string, and your middle finger on the B string, and you're playing them simultaneously, how can you hammer onto another note on each string? Is it just practice at getting your ring and pinky fingers to be more independent and strong? Cuz right now it just seems absolutely impossible!
Notorious S.I.G.
probly easier if u barred the e and b strings, but yeah, just practice
Quote by ealtdharkon
Barre them? What if it's say, 5th fret on the e, but third on the b?

What you need, is tapping. Instead of hammering on to your other frets, bring up your picking hand and hammer on using fingers from there.

+1

Excellent demonstration of tapping (it's also quite depressingly good)
Victor Wooten - Norwegian Wood
I told you it was depressingly good
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by ealtdharkon
Haha, +1 right back atcha, I got that DVD for christmas =)

...and yeah, he is a bit good, isn't he.

Yeah, don't barre. Become Victor Wooten.

Edit: also http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-yQb-6UE8 = win. Do this.

I cry whenever I realize that I'll probably never be as good as Wooten.

and that guy is good. I can't even comprehend how his bass is set up, it's an upside down lefty? The higher strings are up top and the lower on the bottom. Did they change the way basses were made since I bought one last week?

EDIT: So this isn't just spam, learn to be like Victor Wooten, in mind and body. I commend you for embarking on this noble task
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Oct 11, 2008,
Yeah, actually Wooten is a good guy to listen to. Not just what he plays, but what he says.

...oh, and Jeff does have his bass strung "upside down", yeah. That way he can have the higher string notes ringing out easier, I suppose. Could be other reasons, I've never thought to ask him. Also, he tends to use piccolo strings, so he's in a very high tuning.

But who am I to talk, my bass sits on my lap, and I pretend she's a piano.
Quote by xenophon979
If you have your first finger fretting a note on, say, the e string, and your middle finger on the B string, and you're playing them simultaneously, how can you hammer onto another note on each string? Is it just practice at getting your ring and pinky fingers to be more independent and strong? Cuz right now it just seems absolutely impossible!

Your right, they are hard. Hendrix uses them often and i think theres a triple finger one in dee by Randy Roads (i think, dont quote me)

e|--------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---0h1-----0h2--------------------------------------------|
G|---0h2-----0h1--------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------------------------------------|

Try this but be sure to use your pinky and third finger, and they will get strong. After you master these move down the fretboard and start barring, but repeat the same pattern. I havent seen them anymore advanced than this though
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Wow those guys are amazing :0 Okay, well I suppose I have a quest to embark upon!
Ahh tapping! That is a good idea! And I guess I'll just focus on strengthening my fingers... Thanks everyone!
Notorious S.I.G.