Hey.
I was having trouble finding the right answers to this question and was hoping someone could help me understand this.

What is the deal with chords and their 7ths and 9ths and all that stuff? I know an Aminor has that little pinky on the g on the low e string. (I think) but why is that the 9th? What makes that addition the 9th? I know it has something to do with the scale it is in or something like that but that leads to my second question: Does this work for all scales then? If I am playing the a minor scale (E) 5-8 (A) 5-7 (D) 5-7 (G)5-7 (B) 5-8 (e) 5-8 how do I add the 7th or 9th to that? Does it still work if its not the open chord form?
Thanks for any advice.

J
Speaking in theory terms, a 7th or 9th chord means you take the scale of the chord (the chord's namesake), and add the 7th or 9th note of the scale and add it to the chord. Since a scale is only 7 notes long, a 9th chord would be the second note of the scale, one octave up.

In the case of C, the C scale is:

C  D  E   F   G   A   B 
 1  2  3   4   5   6   7 
[8][9][10][11][12][13][14]

For a C7, you take a standard C chord and add a B. For a C 9, you go all the way to B, which is the 7th note, go to the octave which would be back to C one pitch up, go up one more note which would be D, and that's your 9th note. Works the same for 13th chords etc.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 11, 2008,
Cause its the ninth note of the scale

Chords are made of notes from scales

Maybe its the other way around, point is, there interconnected.
Step one: stop thinking of frets as numbers, start thinking of them as notes.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
Step one: stop thinking of frets as numbers, start thinking of them as notes.

+1
7ths and 9ths are just the 7th and 9th notes of the scales....
and maj 7th is the 7#/8b note of the scale...
just dont think frets as numbers and the problem is solved...
Last edited by sbikram at Oct 12, 2008,
^--No such thing as a #7 or b8 im afraid. Maj7 chords contain the 7th. 7th chords contain the b7.
Quote by tom183
^--No such thing as a #7 or b8 im afraid. Maj7 chords contain the 7th. 7th chords contain the b7.

To add to this, a 7th chord almost always has the dominant 7. If you just say play a 7th chord, most ppl will play a dominant chord. You have to specify if you want a major 7