I want some scales that have that sad/emotional sound, but at the same time also sound dark

Are there any scales like this?
It's all about phrasing man. I was playing in E major earlier and I got some sweet sounds out of it.

I'd stick to the book and go with Natural Minor.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i like to transition from major to dorian mode...kinda gives a wierd vibe....Satriani's "Not of this Earth" and "Lords of Karma" are good examples.
Locrian.
EDIT: It's not a scale, it's a mode, but it'll work.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
minors

lots of minors
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
locrian mode or harmonic minor possibly
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Froboarder
Locrian.
EDIT: It's not a scale, it's a mode, but it'll work.

Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.
As much as it seems this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, he's correct, and correct most of the time at that.

In rock and metal, minor keys are typically written using a hybrid of the natural and harmonic minor scales and the minor pentatonic/blues. A common progression would be Am G F E7, or A5 G5 F5 E5 if you're playing with a lot of distortion. A typical soloing approach would be to use the A natural minor and blues scale over Am, G, and F, and then A harmonic minor over E7. The same applies to the powerchords.

The reason you change from natural to harmonic minor is because the natural minor has a v7 chord while the harmonic minor has a V7 chord. The V7 chord resolves back to the tonic much better than the v7 chord (E7 vs. Em or Em7 for A minor).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
As much as it seems this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, he's correct, and correct most of the time at that.

As sad as this is, that made my day. (I didn't go to homecoming or any parties, I've just been sittin on my ass all day)

Methinks a certain signature could use some "change we can believe in".

To actually elaborate on my other post:

The Locrian mode is really unstable and should only be used in controlled circumstances (a static chord or a simple pitch-axis progression or something of that nature). Since the mode is based off of the leading tone, it wants to "lead" up a half step to Ionian's tonic. Example: play Bmin7b5 and tell me it doesn't want to go to C major.

It's not practical at all really. It's the outcast of the modes. (see where my mildly homophobic post from before came from?)

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Froboarder
I'm...wrong?
Meh. Oh well.
Your posts in this thread contribute nothing and actually contains inaccurate information. Can you please just delete them?
Quote by Froboarder
I'm...wrong?
Meh. Oh well.
Not necessarily. If the TS is playing over a static min7b5 chord you're spot on!

You're right in the fact that Locrian sounds "dark".

Edit: ^Tis a bit harsh Sue, don't you think? If someone were to read the thread they would see that locrian isn't the choice.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Your posts in this thread contribute nothing and actually contains inaccurate information. Can you please just delete them?

I'm sorry?
Locrian is dark sounding, that's what he asked for, and I gave it to him.
My second post was asking for clarification about who you were talking to.
There's really no need to be a bitch, when all I'm trying to do is help out however I can.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by metal4all
If someone were to read the thread they would see that locrian isn't the choice.
That's because you quoted him.

Quote by Froboarder
I'm sorry?
Locrian is dark sounding, that's what he asked for, and I gave it to him.
My second post was asking for clarification about who you were talking to.
There's really no need to be a bitch, when all I'm trying to do is help out however I can.
Locrian is, for the most part, a useless scale, and almost completely useless in rock.

At the very least, delete your "I'm wrong?" post.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's because you quoted him.

Locrian is, for the most part, a useless scale, and almost completely useless in rock.

At the very least, delete your "I'm wrong?" post.

He didn't ask for rock. That's the thing.
Also, I deleted my post. Next time just ask nicely, please? I was very offended.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by o_hai_dere
I want some scales that have that sad/emotional sound, but at the same time also sound dark

Are there any scales like this?

Scales do not have moods.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Froboarder
He didn't ask for rock. That's the thing.
Read my post more carefully, please.

Moreover, for you to take offense to a post where I used "please" is ridiculous and effeminate.

Now you can be offended.

By the way, if you're going to be hanging out in MT, get used to me calling out anyone who posts inaccurate information. MT is a place for people to learn. While some post incorrect information with good intentions, many are quite flippant and that's when I turn into a bitch.

The only use for Locrian is over a m7b5 chord which would probably only ever be found in jazz. With few exceptions, you cannot establish a locrian tonality. Modal tonalities are hard enough to establish; locrian gives you the wonderful task of trying to make a m7b5 chord sound resolved.

Quote by Archeo Avis
No, they don't. However, many people associate certain scales with certain moods, hence this thread.

Don't just post that without any elaboration; it offers nothing to the TS.
Quote by Archeo Avis

They have sounds that are connected to moods because of how they've been used in the past.

Eg. Phrygian Dominant has a "Spanish feel" to it not because it reminds people of Spain, but because many Spanish guitarists have used it in their pieces.
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
They have sounds that are connected to moods because of how they've been used in the past.

Eg. Phrygian Dominant has a "Spanish feel" to it not because it reminds people of Spain, but because many Spanish guitarists have used it in their pieces.
Don't even try. He posts that same thing in every other thread asking this and we (all of MT) always end up in the same argument. He's as stubborn as me which I like and dislike but hey.

Edit: Whoa, you sigged me.

Present:

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Oct 12, 2008,
Don't even try. He posts that same thing in every other thread asking this and we (all of MT) always end up in the same argument. He's as stubborn as me which I like and dislike but hey.

The scale you use is next to irrelevant in the grand scheme of music. Different scales will not magically infuse your music with some specific emotion. His question is unanswerable. We get fifty of these threads a week, and we need to start closing them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.