Okay so i have a cheap strat knock off (by jay turser if anyone is familiar with that company), it was my first guitar, and now im thinking about possibly upgrading it and making it my main guitar if it turns out well. Im a complete noob when it comes to customizing guitars but Im thinking about switching out all the hardware, the electronics, pickups, tuners, etc, maybe adjusting the action a little and basically just keeping the body. I like the way the body looks, the paint job is fairly decent, and the guitar plays reasonably well already. It just sounds like crap when I plug it in. Now if I do all the upgrades will it still sound bad? Is it worth doing in terms of price, how much might all this cost compared to buying an actual fender? Any other comments or advice you guys have is also welcome?
If your gonna upgrade only get new pick ups, that way when you get a new better guitar you can put them in that one...if you can help it never use a knock off as your main guitar.
I think you'd be better off buying a real strat. The quality probably wouldn't improve dramatically if you upgraded a knockoff.
it's cheaper and more reliable to get a nice new one. That being said, it's never a bad idea to redesign your cheapo knockoff and make it your crazy, novelty guitar. Use it to have some fun, that's what i'm planning on doing.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by Steven E
If your gonna upgrade only get new pick ups, that way when you get a new better guitar you can put them in that one...if you can help it never use a knock off as your main guitar.

Well I wasnt for sure planning on using that guitar as my main one but i was simply saying that if it turned out well it could be a possibility. Also what really is the main diiferences between a guitar like mine and a fender? If my guitar is already set up relatively well then isn't the only real difference the hardware and electronics used to make it?
ok if you do rebuild it... sand of the headstock and put a fender decal on.... then take a permanant marker and write jimi hendrix on it...
then sell it to someone stupid at your school...
Alot of people mod cheap strats. If you do start with pickups and if it sounds bad don't put anymore money into it. You can use the pickups in a different guitar or sell them. My first guitar was a Dean strat copy. I've repainted it, put a new pickguard on it, put a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion humbucker in it and new volume and tone pots. It's a real good hard rock and metal guitar now. It's your guitar and your money if you want to go for it.
Quote by Steven E

wrong, sir.

if it plays well, and the guitar's built well, it'll sound fine. pickups are a good choice to start, but really, it doesn't matter whether your guitar has a certain name on it, it's about how it plays, and, in turn, how you play it.
------

Shwiggity.
It depends on the guitar, if it plays like crap it'll still play like crap, if it feels and plays fine but doesn't sound the best and doesn't stay in tune that well then upgrading is smart.
don't feel like writting to much so just say a few things...
You can upgrade it, go for it,
Upgrade pickups, tuners, bridge, electronics, and even a new neck if you want.
good luck any way, i'm always jelous of people who have cheap knock offs to customize
Get some EMGs. They're pre-wired, so should you get a real Strat, you can put them in easily. Still, the smiley says it all, real is better than knockoff-