I've been playing for over a year now on a sh**ty Stagg, and I think its time for a decent guitar. I play blues, and rock, and once Christmas rolls around, I'll have about $1,300 US saved up.

Right now, I'm really split between a Fender Stratocaster, and Telecaster. Whichever I get, It'll probably be an American Deluxe, or something like that (definitely American...no cr**py foreign guitar). I've also been checking out ebay and craigslist for deals.

Any suggestions for what I should buy? I'm also open to ideas other than a Strat or Tele, if you can make a good argument for the guitar...
check out G&L, I would take one over a MIA fender any day.
Also, what's your current rig look like, just asking?
I suggest either a Fender Strat or an Epi LesPaul, or maybe even a Gibson LP, if you can find one for that price

btw, don't be hating on foreign guitars, they're usually as good or better than american ones and are also cheaper more often than not
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Fender Strats definately look like the best idea, with a good Les Paul or 335-style guitar following. Perhaps an Epi Elitist LP or 335, if you really mush have American stuff. But sticking a Made in US sticker jacks the price up alottt. QC on low-end Gibsons seems to have gotten a bit more lax as of recent, while overseas guitar quality is seemingly getting better.
Whats a G&L, and whats a Fender MIA?

When I said foreign guitar, I was talking about some Mexican Strat ripoff or something...

Are there actually Gibson Les Pauls for that price? Cause thats like my dream guitar.

I don't need a new amp...just got a new one (in my profile if you're curious) and it suits my needs just fine.

Is everyone here for a Strat over a Tele? And why, if you are?
Quote by barahota
i would buy a line 6 variax & a pod x3 pedalboard

He'd need a bit more money for both and my 700 is MIJ. But, yeah his bases would be covered.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Merman_of_83
Whats a G&L, and whats a Fender MIA?

When I said foreign guitar, I was talking about some Mexican Strat ripoff or something...

Are there actually Gibson Les Pauls for that price? Cause thats like my dream guitar.

I don't need a new amp...just got a new one (in my profile if you're curious) and it suits my needs just fine.

Is everyone here for a Strat over a Tele? And why, if you are?

MIA is Made In America. G&L is another company started by Leo Fender and some other dude I can't remember. I'd actually recommend the ASAT Bluesboy. A Tele with a 'bucker in the neck.