Page 1 of 2
And belive me its sound 200 time better and less fizzy.

Btw i wasnt using my podx3.

So ug do you remember the first time when you realized that high mids sound way better then scooped mids.

Btw my setting was : 5 mid 5 contour 6 treble 3 bass Max gain.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
jeez, you didn't really spike the mids. usually its more like mids-11 bass-0 treb-9 gain-16
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
I have my treble 7, bass 7, mids 9, and the contour is turned off
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
yeah mids are were its at. scooping them may sound good in the bedroom but not on stage, your sound gets lost in the mix
On my 6505+ (which has naturally high mids) I usually keep my EQ at
Pre 7-8
Low 8
Mid 4-5
High 7
Resonance 7
Presence 8-9
ohai little sig.
i keep treble at 8.5, bass at 5, presence at 7, mids at 2.5, but on my eq, it's at the middle, high mids are at the middle and the low mids are lowered to give it a scooped mid sound without scooping the mids. i had to play with the eq for months to get a good sound. my mesa is REALLY REALLY middy, so it helps a lot that it has the 5 band graphic eq.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
my Marshall has more Mids than i know what to do with, so in order to get a nice warm lead sound i have my Bass at 10 my Mids at 3 and my Treble at 5.

on any amp other than my own this would probably sound terrible
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
high mids=generally great

on my shitbox excuse of an amp however, the only real way to get a decent tone is to scoop though
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
bass 6, mids 5, treble 5

best tone i can get out of my crate ss and multifx... basically my amp is all 5 and then my multifx is bass 2 mid 0 treble 0... but 0's for the digitech multifx is basically like 5 on an amp (midway)... so basically converted into any amp it would probably be what i put above (6,5,5)
bass- 7 lo mid - 8 hi mid -8 treble - 5 contour: on

I like my mids
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
depends, for cleans i tend to go about treble - 10 bass - 5.5 mid - 3
for distortion i go around treble - 8 bass - 6 mid - 7

i like my distortion smooth and my cleans to be bright and super twangy
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Quote by Waterboy799
my Marshall has more Mids than i know what to do with, so in order to get a nice warm lead sound i have my Bass at 10 my Mids at 3 and my Treble at 5.

on any amp other than my own this would probably sound terrible

Thats correct, Marshalls sound great with scooped mids. Think Ride the Lightning. I love the scooped marshall sound.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
the real problem with scooped mids is when your using a solid state amp or an amp with fizzy distortion. mine currently has both of them so i have mids at 10, ba.ss at 7 and treble at 3

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Also it depends on the amp design. There's different kinds of tonestacks; Marshall, Fender, Vox etc. They all have different EQ contours. If you use a Marshall tonestack and drop the mids to 0 and keep the other two high, you'll still likely have more mids than a Fender amp, same with a Vox tonestack.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
**** that, my mids are over 9000!

Seriously, though, I love the sound of dimed mids, especially when I hit it with my Big Muff. And the awesome feedback that ensues
treble noon, mids all the way up, bass noon, presence noon, and then through a celestion v30. Sometimes with the wah in that sweet spot for just that extra mid boost

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
treble noon, mids all the way up, bass noon, presence noon, and then through a celestion v30. Sometimes with the wah in that sweet spot for just that extra mid boost

That brings the to my face.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
yeah mids are were its at. scooping them may sound good in the bedroom but not on stage, your sound gets lost in the mix

on most amps, i dont think it sounds good on the bedroom or on the stage. on my amp, when i have em all the way down, it sounds like the amp is a mile away from you.

as for my settings, i tend to use bass 8 mids 6.5 treble 7 gain 5.5
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
btw, wheres dream pin? im sure he'll have something to say about this topic
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I have mids at around 4, only because it improves tone by reducing any unpleasant high frequencies, although, this may change as I've started to solely use my drive channel, and cranking the power amp while reducing the pre-amp, allows my OD to kick in without any fizz, and with improved tone (clean channel doesn't give me such control over pre- and power levels).

Bass at 10.
Treble at 4 (or 5).

I still have a lot of treble with these settings, but everything is sounding fantastic. Great tone still.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Demonikk
On my 6505+ (which has naturally high mids) I usually keep my EQ at
Pre 7-8
Low 8
Mid 4-5
High 7
Resonance 7
Presence 8-9

Pre = gain? If so: damn dude, thats way too much!

Anyway:
My 6505 settings are:
Gain: 3
Low: 6
mid: 9
high: 2
Resonance: 7
Presence: 3

So you notice i rather like my mids all the way up and go easy on the highs. This results in a sound that cuts through very well, and doesnt hurt your ears at the same time. Thats also why i try to keep the presence low. I used to turn it up till 8, and people kept saying that the sound was too harsh. Thats because when you are in front of your cab, you let it blow underneath you. You dont realise how harsh it all sounds. But for the audience, its pretty bad.
I dear alot of you to sit down in front of their cabs, on 3-4 meters away from it, and play. Try to lower the highs and spike the mids. You will see that your tone will get alot better.
I use greenbacks (G12H30) with that, and it sounds AWESOME!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by MrCarrot
^ G12H30 =/= Greenback.

Yes they are. These are the Heritage series Greenbacks. Also called greenbacks. Hence the green back of the speaker...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Yes they are. These are the Heritage series Greenbacks. Also called greenbacks. Hence the green back of the speaker...

on my AD30:
gain - 5 or 6
Treble - 8
Mid - 10
Bass - 1
and on my EQ pedal i have the middle 3 frequencies at +15 and everything else is at 0 with the level raised about +4
Keeping it real since '92
MrCarrot, you are twisting my words. I said:
Quote by LP_CL
I use greenbacks (G12H30) with that, and it sounds AWESOME!

Meaning: 'I use greenbacks (the heritage series G12H30, not the Classic series G12H without the green back, not the Classic series G12M25 or G12M20, which would be stupid cause my amp is 120W)'
There is only 1 speaker called G12H30 with a green back, which also is referred to as greenback heritage speaker.
Everybody has known what im talking about when i say greenback G12H30 for the past 3 years, so dont act like a dumbass/wiseass.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
MrCarrot, you are twisting my words. I said:

Meaning: 'I use greenbacks (the heritage series G12H30, not the Classic series G12H without the green back, not the Classic series G12M25 or G12M20, which would be stupid cause my amp is 120W)'
There is only 1 speaker called G12H30 with a green back, which also is referred to as greenback heritage speaker.
Everybody has known what im talking about when i say greenback G12H30 for the past 3 years, so dont act like a dumbass/wiseass.

It is not a greenback.
Celestion DO NOT call it a greenback (or mention the word) on thier website.
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/index.asp

The greenback name is only given to ONE speaker - the G12M.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Iceman 420
Bass-12
Middle-5
Treble-6
Presence-1

The Peavey's pretty middy all by itself, so yeah.

Yeah, they are VERY middy. Hah, those are almost my exact settings, except I usually have the presence around 5 or 6 to cut through a bit more.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Simsimius
It is not a greenback.
Celestion DO NOT call it a greenback (or mention the word) on thier website.
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/index.asp

The greenback name is only given to ONE speaker - the G12M.

If i may be the wiseass now:
There are 2 speakers that they refer to as Greenback:
The Heritage G12M20 and the Classic G12M25

Do you guys even know where the name Greenback came form?????
Right, because the speakers have green backs. Nothing less, nothing more. So tell me, why shouldnt i be able to call the G12H30, which has the bloody same color on the back, a greenback? Oh, right, because celestion didnt write the word 'greenback' on the page off the speaker.

No one, ever, has pointed me on it. Never.
I say it on an American forum, and i got commented on it.
Is it because americans are ignorant?
Is it because americans are close minded?

you tell me...

EDIT: bloody hell, you're Brittish. You should come off your island more often. Helps to stop inbreading.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by LP_CL

Right, because the speakers have green backs. Nothing less, nothing more. So tell me, why shouldnt i be able to call the G12H30, which has the bloody same color on the back, a greenback? Oh, right, because celestion didnt write the word 'greenback' on the page off the speaker.

you tell me...

EDIT: bloody hell, you're Brittish.

UG is a russian forum.

The G12M was produced BEFORE the g12H. IIRC.

So, the G12M has a greenback, and the nickname "Greenback" was used as a nickname of this speaker type, even though a lot of them had a different colour back. The G12H is not a G12M, so it is not a Greenback, as the greenback name is used for the G12M, describing specifically this speaker type, dispite that fact that the G12H also has that colour (but produced after).

When someone says "greenback" they think of the G12M, not the G12H.
Even saying "Greenback G12H", not a lot of people are experts on celetion speaker names, and assume that that is the "G12M".

I understand you calling the G12H a greenback, but it really isn't - the greenback and G12H have a different sound.

EDIT: That "insult" wasn't a good one. Try again.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by LP_CL

you tell me...

EDIT: bloody hell, you're Brittish. You should come off your island more often. Helps to stop inbreading.
*reported*

that's just offensive for no reason
Quote by LP_CL

Put your Big Mac down and get your hand out your sister's batcave, you overweight unintelligent moron.

Not nice when someone throws it back at you, is it?

Greenbacks aren't called G12H30s.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Oct 12, 2008,
In fact, let me explain again:

Imagine there's a blue car, a fast sports car, and it is called the "Blue" car.
If someone else produces a slow, cheap, car, that is also blue, but called the "Eco-car", would you still call it the "Blue" car? Would you, if asked what car you have, say "I have the blue car", instead of "I have the Eco-car"?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Page 1 of 2