Page 1 of 2
And I had a good trial and error session with some of the basses.

My top 3 were:

The Ibanez BTB575FM.

I. Loved. It. The neck was perfect and the tone was beautiful. A bit pricey however at $780 (I've a relatively low budget).

The Ibanez SR505

The look and feel of this make's body was amazing. I tried both the 5 and 6 string versions, and, unfortunately, while this had my favorite tone, the neck was still a bit big for my tiny hands. At $580, it was a pretty well priced bass.

Lastly, I went out on a limb and ignored the hideous Fender headstock and tried out an American Standard Jazz 5 String

I liked it, but the next was oddly large for a jazz bass. I can't remember the price...but I believe it was about $530.

The point of today's recap is to get some feedback; what are your experiences with this instruments and which would you suggest or recommend?
Last edited by Royal Celebi at Oct 12, 2008,
If you liked the 1st Ibanez the most, i would save up for that one
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
ive heard better things about sr then the btb series
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
1st one i dont like the huge hooks cause i play a right handed bass upside down so it gets very annoying.
2nd is good
3rd the neck is disturbingly huge.

and if your on a budget i recommend the 2nd one or something that sounds like the 3rd one cause ive played basses that have smalled necks but have same ton sometimes even cheaper.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
American Standard for $530? Are you sure? Is there somthing seriously wrong with it?

If your sure and there's not get it.

It's a great bass and it's at least half the normal price new. And if it's used it's still a pretty good deal.
I highly doubt you saw an american standard for $530 unless it needs some serious repair. Also I don't understand why you thought the Jazz bass's neck was thick. Seriously, the jazz bass neck profile is very slim in comparison to most basses. Maybe it was a lemon? I don't know which of the three basses to reccomend you because you haven't told us what type of sound you're looking for. Those three basses sound quite different.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
I highly doubt you saw an american standard for $530 unless it needs some serious repair. Also I don't understand why you thought the Jazz bass's neck was thick. Seriously, the jazz bass neck profile is very slim in comparison to most basses. Maybe it was a lemon? I don't know which of the three basses to reccomend you because you haven't told us what type of sound you're looking for. Those three basses sound quite different.

He's playing it next to Ibanezes. Even a jazz feels thick compared to them.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by matosh.lee
3rd the neck is disturbingly huge.

Fender 5 stringers have a width of 47.6mm at the nut.
The Ibanez SR505 is 45mm.

Hardly that much of a different, yes you would be able to tell but its not "disturbingly huge".

TS, its probably a Standard Jazz V or a cheap MIM Active Jazz V. Both are still very worthy instruments.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Honestly, with either the Jazz or the SR, you'd be able to get through any gig.
Quote by gm jack
He's playing it next to Ibanezes. Even a jazz feels thick compared to them.

no. i played one. it think. its like a 6 string even thought its a 5
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by matosh.lee
no. i played one. it think. its like a 6 string even thought its a 5

he never said you didn't. he said you played an Ibanez, then that bad boy, making it feel thicker than it was.

but anyways, you sound like you like the Ibanezes anyways. decide if that BTB is worth dropping the extra money for.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The first one look's the best, to me anyways.. although the second one is rather nice too!.

but that fender, it's horrible. the head stock looks like an after thought of the whole design.. like "hmm we need an extra tuner".. "meh just throw it on somewhere".
I guarantee. Guarantee. Guarantee. There was no American Standard 5-string Jazz for $530. If it was, buy it, and immediately double your money.

That said, that BTB (that exact model) is the closest Ibanez I'd ever consider, besides maybe the ATK.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have an SR 500 and its lovely. Really playable and you can get a lot of different tones out of it. Don't know about the 505 but it can't be any different.

The BTB looks good but also looks kinda bulky, as does the Fender. I'd go for the SR obviously as i have one.
Quote by FenderAmpeg93

Ibanez's make most necks, even jazzes, feel like tree trunks.
I think the BTBs are one of those love them or hate them basses. I played one while I was shopping for my current bass, and they have really wide string spacing and a long scale. If it didn't feel right, though, you can't really force it.

I own an Ibanez SR-305, little brother of the 505. Usually goes for $350, I got it at GC during a labor day sale for $260. I'd highly recommend the SR, but if the 505 is out of your reach then consider a 305 or a 405.
I'd say save up and get the BTB, you've tried it and love it, I don't see why you should look for a cheaper alternative?

Unless you know it's good as the BTB or better.
I'd recommend the SR. Don't own it but I've tried it out in the music store several times and I love it!! Saving money for it right now.
Ohhhh so many opinions...I don't really know where to start...I guess I'll go with sound for now:

-I play mostly metal/hardcore, stuff like Breaking Benjamin, Enter Shikari, Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine, etc. etc. Although I do play some mellower things such as The Killers and Three Days Grace. I'm looking forward to writing my own stuff eventually, centered around [death] metal.

As for the American Standard, I'm pretty damn sure it was $530. It may have been used, I don't remember.
I'd like to make another comment, probably unpopular -

In my opinion, the BTB and the 'Fender'-clone ATK are the only Ibanez basses that weren't meant for guitar players (referring to neck dimensions and string spacing).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
If you're playing Killers, Bullet, BB, and Killers, I'd go SR.

Mike D'Antonio from Killswitch uses an Ibanez signature modeled after the SR. Bullet uses a Sandberg (the Basic series, similar to SR in my opinion) and Breaking Benjamin uses Warwick and Ernie Ball, and I think Ibanez is similar to Warwick IN SOME WAYS.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by thefitz

In my opinion, the BTB and the 'Fender'-clone ATK are the only Ibanez basses that weren't meant for guitar players (referring to neck dimensions and string spacing).

this may be true, and if so this is one time it actually worked pretty damn well, in my opinion.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Captain Insano
American Standard for $530? Are you sure? Is there somthing seriously wrong with it?

If your sure and there's not get it.

It's a great bass and it's at least half the normal price new. And if it's used it's still a pretty good deal.

Yeah, American Standards are $1000+
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Just wondering, threadstarter. About the BTB, you said "I. Loved. It." That's your answer right there, especially when compared to the descriptions of the other two. Unless your bass comfortably surpasses the $5k level, the time it takes to save up the rest of that scratch to get the BTB is negligable compared to the time you'll own it for.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

FYI, Fender jazzes were also first made for guitarists Thus the thinner neck then a precision.
Quote by rollininrhythm
FYI, Fender jazzes were also first made for guitarists Thus the thinner neck then a precision.

I'm pretty sure they were made for bassists that catered to playing jazz-styled walking lines, hence the thinner, faster neck to move around on easily and the name "jazz bass." I read that somewhere, I can't remember where though.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
If you think the Sr505 still has a big neck for your tiny hands you are either a midgit or looking for a neck with the width of a tooth pick. The SR series Ibanez basses have the smallest necks ever.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by Your41Plague12
I'm pretty sure they were made for bassists that catered to playing jazz-styled walking lines, hence the thinner, faster neck to move around on easily and the name "jazz bass." I read that somewhere, I can't remember where though.

No, precisions were made for bassists. Around the time the precisions and jazzes came out, bassists preferred the thick neck. It felt more comfortable because most of them were coming from the large upright bass necks. The jazz was made for guitarists. Ask any prominent bassist that played in the 50's.

Id recommend Jeff Campbell
Quote by rollininrhythm

It's a semantic arguement between 'made for' and 'meant for', but like it was mentioned in a previous post, Jazz necks feel huge compared to Ibanez necks, which are very, very, very thing, seemingly meant for guitar players whose thumbs are over the fretboard.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
It's a semantic arguement between 'made for' and 'meant for', but like it was mentioned in a previous post, Jazz necks feel huge compared to Ibanez necks, which are very, very, very thing, seemingly meant for guitar players whose thumbs are over the fretboard.

I think we can all agree that at some point, the guitarists point of view was put into consideration when making both the jazz and ibanezes.

But why not embrace it? Maybe thats the reason both of these basses are so great. (well, not so much the jazz, but thats for another thread)
Because I don't 'trust' those necks, and have heard some horror stories. I don't have much faith playing them. I'm talking 6-string mandolin 'meant for guitarists', not a bit more ergonomic 'meant for guitarists'. The necks just don't feel solid to me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Just wondering, threadstarter. About the BTB, you said "I. Loved. It." That's your answer right there, especially when compared to the descriptions of the other two. Unless your bass comfortably surpasses the $5k level, the time it takes to save up the rest of that scratch to get the BTB is negligable compared to the time you'll own it for.

Whatcha mean about the bolded?
He means that unless you are saving up very slowly for a boutique, custom built bass, the extra money saved to get exactly what you want is worth it, because you will use that bass for much longer for maybe another few months worth of saving.

However, that doesn't mean everyone should save for the best bass in the world, because if you get a much cheaper alternative that brings almost as much joy, the time saved from saving up for the mega expensive bass is used playing the best you would get.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
He means that unless you are saving up very slowly for a boutique, custom built bass, the extra money saved to get exactly what you want is worth it, because you will use that bass for much longer for maybe another few months worth of saving.

However, that doesn't mean everyone should save for the best bass in the world, because if you get a much cheaper alternative that brings almost as much joy, the time saved from saving up for the mega expensive bass is used playing the best you would get.

Ohhh! Ok. That's a good idea.

Thanks for the input guys!
Quote by thefitz
Because I don't 'trust' those necks, and have heard some horror stories. I don't have much faith playing them. I'm talking 6-string mandolin 'meant for guitarists', not a bit more ergonomic 'meant for guitarists'. The necks just don't feel solid to me.

Horror stories? Please elaborate.
Quote by rollininrhythm
Horror stories? Please elaborate.

I've heard stories about lack of neck stability, as well as some severe neck warping over time. Also, volute-less scarf joints.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i love the first ibanez. I played it also and i love that bass. once i get the money im definatly buying it. Has a great neck and tone.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
i suggest you should buy the american standard immediately, the price is a steal!
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Page 1 of 2