So through a bunch of finagling and whatnot (I love craigslist) I now have a BH5H Little Giant Head and a Valveking 112, both stock.
I also have a home-made 212 cab with an Eminence Red Ryder and a Black Shadow out of a Mesa Cab (I believe it's basically a G12t-75).
My guitar is a BC Rich NJ Series Virgin with the Seymour Duncan "Distortion Mayhem" humbuckers (I'm pretty happy with it).
I am pedal-less because of my said finagling, so am looking to fix that.

I'm looking for an 80s rock type of sound (think the opening of "Hell on High Heels") with the potential to do some heavier metal.

So my question is this: what do I keep/sell/buy/trade/etc??
What would you do in this situation?

I could sell one or both of the amps, upgrade the speaker in the VK, mod the BH, basically anything is possible. I do not plan on gigging soon, but definitely plan on recording, so low-volume good tone is preferred.

any input is appreciated!
A VK will definitely do 80s rock. You can hook it up to the cab (provided the two speakers add up to 16 ohms) and that'll disable the stock speaker.

It'll get into metal territory with an overdrive pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yup, they're both 8 ohms, so that would definitely be possible.
...and then I could sell the BH for some pedals.

Things I want (in order):
-Nice overdrive
-eq
-wah
-delay

thanks for the opinion!
Quote by Jack Carver
Yup, they're both 8 ohms, so that would definitely be possible.
...and then I could sell the BH for some pedals.

Things I want (in order):
-Nice overdrive
-eq
-wah
-delay

thanks for the opinion!

How are they wired? 2 8ohm speakers in series is 16 ohm and wired in parallel they are only 4ohm.
The DigiTech Bad Monkey is probably the best overdrive <$100... I own one myself and many others swear by it. I like it just as long as you don't dial any gain in with it - that tends to mud up one's tone.

As for EQs, look into a 10-band equalizer - I believe MXR makes one - you'll need it to dial out some bad frequencies the VK projects.

I have a Dunlop Classic Crybaby, but I don't really like it that much - if you rock it back and forth (while hitting the most bass/treble) you get this crackling noise. Other than that it's great, and that crackle is unnoticable with some distortion. Perhaps look into a 535Q or a Morley Bad Horsie...

As for delay I use a Boss DD-3 but I dunno if you want analog or digital.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta

I have a Dunlop Classic Crybaby, but I don't really like it that much - if you rock it back and forth (while hitting the most bass/treble) you get this crackling noise. Other than that it's great, and that crackle is unnoticable with some distortion. Perhaps look into a 535Q or a Morley Bad Horsie...

I believe the reason you don't like your wah is because it has a phasal inductor (spelling?) it's old circuitry and stuff like when the first crybaby came out.. The ORIGINAL crybaby is the one that is famously used by hendrix and a bazillion other... the classic sounds horrible. get the original crybaby if you get a wah. highly recommended
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
I believe the reason you don't like your wah is because it has a phasal inductor (spelling?) it's old circuitry and stuff like when the first crybaby came out.. The ORIGINAL crybaby is the one that is famously used by hendrix and a bazillion other... the classic sounds horrible. get the original crybaby if you get a wah. highly recommended

I like the sound, I just don't like the crackling... that and the treadle moves much more quickly than I'm used to.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

Aren't the wahs with Fasel inductors supposed to be the better ones?
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
How are they wired? 2 8ohm speakers in series is 16 ohm and wired in parallel they are only 4ohm.

They're wired however I want them to be wired
Actually they're in the 4-ohm configuration right now, but I have the soldering iron and extra wire to switch.

I've been checking out that MXR 10-band eq and it definitely seems like what I want.

As for the overdrive, does anybody have any comments about the difference I'd hear going from a Bad Monkey to a Tubescreamer to something like a Fulltone OCD?
Will it blow my mind? Or just be subtle. I do need a couple more cables, so maybe starting with the bad monkey would be a good choice.

And I might be able to ask Santa for a wah pedal
About the amps: If it were me, I'd sell both of them and get some sort of JCM clone, like a Windsor or a Mig.

But I don't know
Quote by Jack Carver
They're wired however I want them to be wired
Actually they're in the 4-ohm configuration right now, but I have the soldering iron and extra wire to switch.

Alot of people don't understand how ohms work and hook speakers with the wrong load to their amp. Then their amp tears up and they don't know why. I just wanted to make sure you didn't f**k up your amp.
Yeah, that's true, thanks for checking!

Quote by imgooley
About the amps: If it were me, I'd sell both of them and get some sort of JCM clone, like a Windsor or a Mig.

But I don't know

Was thinking of this also.
Could I get some high-gain sounds with a pedal and cranking the preamp gain on a Windsor, or would I want to get an attenuator?

thanks so far everybody!