So, my parents are gonna buy me an amp to upgrade me from my dreaded Behringer. Suprisingly, my Behringer hasn't crapped out on me and I've had it for about a year. I bought it when i was a bass noob and didn't know too much about bass amps and thought they were all the same. That was over a year ago and now I'm very serious about bass so I need a nicer amp to compliment my nice jazz bass. I love my jazz bass to death. It's a 2007 FSR Standard Jazz Bass w/ an ash body. Anyways...I've narrowed my choices to these three amps. I'm not concerned with volume;just the quality of tone. It has to be loud enough to maybe jam with a few buddies. I play all types of genres but the tone I'm want is warm and punchy(think vintage P bass), but I want to be able to get a nice twangy sound like the bassist from Green Day. More specifically, Green Day songs like When I Come Around, Longview, She, Minority.(Check some Green Day youtube vids to see waht i mean) I have a Boss EQ pedal and a Digitech Bass Driver. My budget is $500. I won't be able to try out these amps Any advice is welcome!

Fender Rumble Series 2x10 I've heard the rumble series isn't as good as the Bassman series but I like this speaker configuration better than the Bassman next in my list.

Fender Bassman 1x12 (Well this amp has a USA Eminence speaker so that's good!) My view of 1x12's is probably biased because my Behringer is a 1x12 and I hate that b*tch so much. Although I love all the tonal variation this thing has, I'm not loving the fact that it's a 1x12. Like what are the pros and cons of a 1x12. Maybe you guys can convince me this amp is good.

Kustom 2x10
This has 2 USA Eminence speakers, so that's what attracted me to this and it's sorta ow price for a 2x10. Is this amp any good?
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Usually a 2x10 is punchier than a 1x12. It's pretty much just preference as to what kind of sound you're going for. I don't have any experience with any of those amps except the Fender Rumble. Mines a 1x15 and it hasn't let me down yet so it seems reliable. I've had it for about 1 and a half years.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant it hasn't let me down yet, not has!
Last edited by ccmetz2020 at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by ccmetz2020
Usually a 2x10 is punchier than a 1x12. It's pretty much just preference as to what kind of sound you're going for. I don't have any experience with any of those amps except the Fender Rumble. Mines a 1x15 and it has let me down yet so it seems reliable. I've had it for about 1 and a half years.
Alright, thanks for the input! Does anybody else have anything to say?
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I have the Rumble 100/210. It's a decent amp. But I have two big problems with it.
1. Tone is kinda bland
2. Not loud enough.

I played a few Kustoms and I wasn't really impressed.

Honestly, I would suggest trying to work something out (beg, split the cost, whatever you have to do) with your parents, ans steping it up and getting an Ashdown MAG or a Fender Bassman 250/210. A better amp, that you could gig with.
Quote by Captain Insano
I have the Rumble 100/210. It's a decent amp. But I have two big problems with it.
1. Tone is kinda bland
2. Not loud enough.

I played a few Kustoms and I wasn't really impressed.

Honestly, I would suggest trying to work something out (beg, split the cost, whatever you have to do) with your parents, ans steping it up and getting an Ashdown MAG or a Fender Bassman 250/210. A better amp, that you could gig with.
I appreciate the advice. Did you play the 2x10 Kustom. That one has USA Eminence speakers in it like the Fender Bassman series. Also what's your opinion on the Bassman series? Particulary the 250/210. I maybe could get my parents to spend a little more money and get me the 250/210 because, even though the Fender Bassman 1x12 is the same thing but is quieter, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 1x12 behind me.
Squier VM TB Bass
Unfortunately, I have never played that particular Kustom.

Out church used to have a bassman 250/210, though. And I have to say, I think it was one of the best amps I've playyed through. It was loud, tone was excellent. I especially like the FX blend knob. I hope to pick one up for myself in the future.
The only thing I can contribute is that kustom is lacking in tone, it's no good, don't bother.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120