Well I've been playing for close to two years now and I'm actually pretty good, but the only problem is that I don't know my freakin' notes on the fretboard.

I'm self taught, so my learning process has pretty much been;

1. Tinker around with guitar
2. Learn songs from Tabs
3. Rinse + Repeat

I'd really like to start learning Keys and Notes and stuff like that, so I'm not completely useless when I try to form a band.

Does anyone know a website that explains what notes are where, octaves and how they work, what keys are and what they do, and really all that good stuff. I guess you'd call it extremely basic/beginner's music theory?

If anyone could just direct me to a website, or just explain some stuff in terms I'd understand, I'd be extremely greatful.

Thanks,
Shaz.
Holy crap you have no clue how useful that will be to me. But I'm still looking for explanations on things like keys and where notes are on a guitar. That site will be great once I learn to read music (yup, still can't do that D.

Thanks!
Quote by Shazazmic
Holy crap you have no clue how useful that will be to me. But I'm still looking for explanations on things like keys and where notes are on a guitar. That site will be great once I learn to read music (yup, still can't do that D.

Thanks!

What do you need to know where the notes are on the guitar?

If you know the musical alphabet then you know every note on the guitar.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
What do you need to know where the notes are on the guitar?

If you know the musical alphabet then you know every note on the guitar.

Because all the site's examples are on piano. It shows me where the notes are on a piano, but I have no clue where they are on a guitar. I can kind of guess where they are based on their sound... I've kind of got this, no clue if it's right or not.

open - E
1st fret - F
3rd - G
5th - A
7th - B
8th - C
10th - D
12th - E
Quote by Shazazmic
Because all the site's examples are on piano. It shows me where the notes are on a piano, but I have no clue where they are on a guitar. I can kind of guess where they are based on their sound... I've kind of got this, no clue if it's right or not.
open - E
1st fret - F
3rd - G
5th - A
7th - B
8th - C
10th - D
12th - E

Do you know all the notes?

A ,A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#,

If you know that, and the names of the strings, then you know the ENTIRE fretboard my friend.
All on the E string...

A - 5th fret
A# - 6th
B - 7th
C - 8th
C# - 9th
D - 10th
D# - 11th
E - open/12
F - 1st
F# - 2nd
G - 3rd
G# - 4th

^ Tried that without looking at my fretboard... am I right?

I'm learning major and minor scales right now, and it's insanely easy to relate everything to fret numbers by octaves and stuff. It's hard to explain, but this is SOO much easier than I thought.
Quote by Shazazmic
All on the E string...

A - 5th fret
A# - 6th
B - 7th
C - 8th
C# - 9th
D - 10th
D# - 11th
E - open/12
F - 1st
F# - 2nd
G - 3rd
G# - 4th

^ Tried that without looking at my fretboard... am I right?

I'm learning major and minor scales right now, and it's insanely easy to relate everything to fret numbers by octaves and stuff. It's hard to explain, but this is SOO much easier than I thought.

Yep thats perfect. Easier to memorize the fretboard and figure it out now huh?
Thanks, guitarfreak777, and VIRUSDETECTED for the advice and the awesome website.

I'll be sure to post if I have any future questions
This lesson will go through intervals and keys and such: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

It taught me everything. If you have any questions, just ask.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Have a look at the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the colums section too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There is also some free software called "Fretboard warrior". Can't recall how it works exactly at the moment, but it's a start to learn some notes on the fretboard.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by steven seagull
Have a look at the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the colums section too.

+1