If you dont like people wasting ur life talkin about their problems then i advise you not to continue..

Right well whats happened is that all of the picks that i usually use (Jackson 1.14mm) have been out of stock at my local store & all of mine are worn down like hell. So i bought some similar ones (Dunlop Tortex 1.14) & i couldnt play for s**t with them so ive had to use the old worn down Jacksons & been tryin out other ones for the last week.
But I cant pick at high speed properly with any of them & after 2 days of practice with them, i noticed that my general speed & accuracy had decreased a significant amount. This really demotivated me & because i couldnt run through my usually intense practise regime as well as usual, & had to try & slow everything down, i ended up playing for 30mins-1 hour a day whereas i normally practise for 2-4hours.

Last night I practised for 3 hours but to no avail as i was still playing like crap.
So over these last 5 days i have really lost my chops & my technique is all over the place especially with my picking hand as i cant seem to relax it like i used to.

This all just doesnt seem real to me that i could lose what ive worked so hard for in the last few months, within just under a week....& its not like i havent been playing guitar since ive still been attempting practise, but its just so incredibly frustrating that i cant play like i used to less than a week ago...& worst of all i dont know what to do

Really im quite desperate to return to form at the moment..seeing as i have a shred comp in about 2 weeks & im half the player i was a week ago...

So yer has this happened to anyone else & if so how did you 'get back on the horse' so to speak?

I know that was rather long & a waste of your time & life but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
i think its all in your head, i frequently switch between multiple picks and dont have a problem at all.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
i was sick and unable to play for a day and a half, and it did seem like i lost a months worth of skill in my tremolo picking. (didn't seem to really lose much by way of sweeping or in my fretting hand)

i just sat there and kept trying to shred for half an hour and it started to come back.

when i say half an hour, i don't mean i played songs that have fast parts in them for half an hour. i mean i pretty much (tried to) tremolo picked for half an hour. it came back eventually.

just sit there and pick til it comes back, and try not to let yourself get irritated (cause thats what worked for me)

edit: different picks do make a difference to some people. maybe not everyone, but at least to me and this guy here, the pick we use does make a difference in our ability to play.

edit2: if you believe that changing picks cannot make a difference, try going from a hard .7mm to a 2.0mm gator and then try and say there's no difference.

edit3: musiciansfriend should be able to deliver more picks to you before your contest (if your local store won't have any before then)
Last edited by SpeedLives at Oct 12, 2008,
I guess that's one of the good things about being a bass player, I'm not dependent on using a pick. But tbh, if you are stuck using these new picks, you'll just have ti practise more and more and get used to them. It wil definitely be frustrating for some time, but it's the only way really.
Stop masturbating with your picking hand!

But I think you may be over-exaggerating a bit. A pick isn't going to make your technique just suck. If you've got the fundamentals down, you should be easily able to adapt, imo.

I could be wrong, I dunno...
My favorite pick is a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm. Kick ass pick, there's nothing about that pick that should be messing you up for lead type playing. It's firm enough that it won't flex when you pick, and not so thick as to be annoying. Not an optimal pick for playing rhythm, but superb pick for lead, imo.

Yeah, I seriously don't know why you're having problems, but I really doubt it's the pick.

I only have one of these picks, I need to pick up more, I love it

Grep.
telling this guy that his pick shouldn't bother him isn't gonna help him.

whats more then just having to use a different pick, he also said some of his technique has withered away in the past 5 days, and he'd like to know how to get it back
thank you for clearing that up for everyone Speedlives haha

it is just my alternate picking thats got problems as my sweeping is actually fine & my left hand is only a little worse off

i have ordered more picks but theyve said that they will take about a week or so to get to me so i dont really want my playing to deteriorate even further during the next week

it might just all be in my head, but in any case no matter how hard i try i cant seem get my relaxed picking technique back for some reason..even when im going really slow i cant get the basic motions down like before

& yes i realise it may sound as if im exaggerating a little but you really have no idea how frustrating this is to lose a significant amount of skill & a good few months of progress in so little time..especially with a competition coming up that id really like to impress in

oh & Grep those dunlops picks arent bad at all since im now sort of used to them but its the fact that i couldnt get used to them at first & couldnt practise properly that has caused this problem..i also find that they seem a bit too square along the edges & dont grip the strings quite as well as the Jacksons

i know this all sounds a bit silly to most of you but honestly if i cant get it together today after 4 hours of practise then there might be a little more to it...& i will officially suck of course
Last edited by ultimate_syn at Oct 12, 2008,
what worked for me was to just keep trying to tremolo. maybe try repeating a 3 note per string run over 2 strings over and over again.

other then just continuing to try and alternate/economy pick, i wouldn't know how else to get it back.
good workman doesn't blame his tools. hahahah jks ~

u can blindfold yourself and draw from a jar of jacksons and dunlops picks then play...
If you feel that you've lost technical ability through a lack of practice, then you're probably right, and it's a natural thing. Paul Gilbert said (can't remember where), that practicing is like pushing on a big sheet of metal, you want leave an indent which becomes your permanent ability, but to leave that permanent indent you have to push a certain amount past the point you want to achieve, otherwise it's just temporary.
maybe its your guitar thats causing the trouble
it could need a set up
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
It's not unusual that some people need much longer to adapt to new parameters. I'm sure if you keep practicing, you'll gradually get back in the game.

Now, if your favorite Jacksons turn up at the store just before the contest, you might have trouble readjusting to them. Mentally prepare yourself to play with the new pick.

Also, relax... there are plenty of contests. In a year from now you'll be laughing with this, if you even remember it at all.

No stress. Good luck.
Quote by Grep
My favorite pick is a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm. Kick ass pick, there's nothing about that pick that should be messing you up for lead type playing. It's firm enough that it won't flex when you pick, and not so thick as to be annoying. Not an optimal pick for playing rhythm, but superb pick for lead, imo.

Yeah, I seriously don't know why you're having problems, but I really doubt it's the pick.

I only have one of these picks, I need to pick up more, I love it

Grep.

I had some of those picks too and they seemed to be "sloppy", like turning in between my fingers when I was picking. I'm using Steve Vai's signature picks now (made from Ibanez). They got grip-balls or what you call them too, but they usually go away in the first 2-3 hours of playing. Superb pics imho, not a big fan of Vai but he surely does know how picks should be like Try them out
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
wow once again thanks for all of the help & advice

ive now actually adapted to the dunlops quite well but yes just as X_Op3th_X said they tend to move around a bit between your fingers whilst picking & arent quite as smooth as my beloved jacksons :P
i was actually trying to use those steve vai picks when this problem first arose & they were great but the 5th & 6th string were quite hard to work with & im not a huge fan of the rather large point

anyways last night i did manage to see some sort of improvement in my playing & so i thought that id share a short snippet of me playing a 'chromatic 1234' exercise so yer the clip is in my profile under 'playing skills'..so do check it out since it is a really short clip...
its not exactly my quickest or cleanest ever attempt at the exercise but i feel like i am sort of getting some of it back so i wouldnt mind some feedback on what it sounds like & stuff...might help with the whole self confidence thing you know

the main problem still seems to be my picking technique though as i used to have a really good almost all wrist motion which was pretty relaxed in general even at high speeds, but ive had to alter it to some extent now seeing as i cant quite get that motion back & i have noticed that i have some movement in the rest of my arm occasionally & i can feel a build up of tension sometimes as well...but i guess i cant really do much about that apart from practice eh?
some of my riffing has kinda gone to the s***s too..but oh well i guess ill get it all back soon enough just like you lot have said

& yer Withakay i guess youre right in that i should just chill out a bit & not worry too much about it all..hopefully by the end of the week ill be pretty decent again anyways

cheers
Last edited by ultimate_syn at Oct 14, 2008,
Wassup syn. Dude I had a similar problem like you but instead of a pic, it had to involve an acoustic guitar. My problem was that the action on an electric compared to an acoustic is so much easier. My rhythm chops and solos sounded like crap on an acoustic (my hands would get tired fast).... not what I was used to with my electric. So I took a break from playing electric and focused on getting my chops on acoustic. I practiced all my scales and modes, chords and inversion on an acoustic until I felt confident on it. Man a few weeks passed and I picked up that electric again... I WAS LIKE WTF WOW... dude practicing acoustic made my electric playing awesome. So I made practicing with an acoustic part of me regimen. I think that can apply to using different pics too.
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
i think its all in your head, i frequently switch between multiple picks and dont have a problem at all.

this.
^ +1

its all in your head and im wondering if you're picking technique could "use improvement" sounds like you're playing from the arm not the wrist. i play with only dunlops, but when someone gives me a diff pick it doesn't make any difference.
i dont really think you LOSE your skills y'know..
i'd suggest to switch between picks, or keep a huge stock of picks you are into..
you wont lose your skills, even after few days, you'll feel like you've lost it but if you keep on practising for a few hours you'll regain em in no time..
Your chromatic sounds good to me ^^ Just keep practicing with those pics

EDIT: Btw, I just found out the other day that for the past 6 years I've been anchoring -.- Never noticed myself, and was never told that I was. Check it out, maybe you have to start all over again, like me
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Last edited by X_Op3th_X at Oct 15, 2008,