Hey guys,

I am looing for somebody in the NYC area that would be able to do a setup for an Ibanez JS1200. I am 0-3 with the "guitar techs" from Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Guitar comes back worse than I drop it off. Fret buzz and the trem is adjusted on an extreme slant, much more than I would ever expect. If there is anybody local, please hit me up.

Also, if this guitar is just fighting my playstyle, meaning it's me and not the guitar, what other guitars would be close to the JS1200 sound as well as the fast fretboard and hot pickups, all in the pricerange of up to $2,000?

Thanks guys!
Dude, the JS1200 is a sick guitar, it just has to be set up right. Check the FR setup sticky at the top of the page, and I think there's a couple of tutorials for setting up a guitar in the Lessons section of the site.
I think the problem is the intonation saddles were set by the factory and each individual string height is different. Instead of adjusting string height then adjusting the trem, these guys are leaving the saddles as they are then trying to adjust the trem tilt. My E and A strings are a 1/16" height difference and my B and high E string mabe 1/8" difference. I didn't want to mess with this trem myself because I was afraid of messing it up, but at this point I have nothing to lose, heh.
Quote by ominous24
I think the problem is the intonation saddles were set by the factory and each individual string height is different. Instead of adjusting string height then adjusting the trem, these guys are leaving the saddles as they are then trying to adjust the trem tilt. My E and A strings are a 1/16" height difference and my B and high E string mabe 1/8" difference. I didn't want to mess with this trem myself because I was afraid of messing it up, but at this point I have nothing to lose, heh.

???

You can't individually adjust the saddles on an Edge Pro, only the height of the trem itself. The angle of the trem should be the same no matter how high or low the action. Just read the FR setup sticky and then do it yourself, it's not that hard (just time consuming) and you can't really mess anything up.
What I am noticing is each saddle is actually at different heights. Moving them front to back actually raises or lowers the string. My high E string is coming off the saddle much lower than the B string. I think this is causing this problem. When I get home from work I will mess with it and see if I can make some sense of it. As of right now the High E string side of the trem is flush with the guitar body, the low E string is 3/16" above the body. I would assume some tilt, but that is ridiculous.

I will post some pics in a few hours.
If the trem isn't level then yes, moving the saddles back and forward is obviously going to change the height. You shouldn't be messing with them though, they're for changing the intonation - altering the string height is just a side effect of the bridge not being level. They're supposed to be different, but again they aren't different heights, they're different lengths.

Don't do anything, just post the pics and we'll see if we can figure out what needs doing. Bear in mind that due to it's design the Edge Pro will look a little "slanted" when it's actually set up right, there's a notch along the top edge of the bridge plate near the trem post that shows you when it's at the right angle.

If the high E is too low that just means that the trem posts are at uneven heights.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I am hoping these photos show my pain. Again, this was after taking this to get Set up by 3 different techs. You can see how the low E string saddle is very low compared to the other strings on the more elevated picture. The trem is slanted a bit much.

As I am sure most of you would be I am pretty irritated at this and after looking deeply into it, I am about to exhange this guitar. It looks like much of the price is for the signature. There was an SV Prestige I seemed to like the feel of but wanted to go with the Satch.
The treble side of the bridge is too low, you need to raise it by using the allen key that fits the bridge post...it's got nothing to do with the saddles.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

The play of the G-B-E strings are perfect. The problem is the low E and A. Fret buzz up to about the 7th fret on those strings. Up around the 13th fret they start to gap probably as much as my acoustic. If I raise the treble end, won't that just decrease the play of those stings?
Last edited by ominous24 at Oct 12, 2008,
how is the curvature of the neck/truss rod? maybe take a pic of neck looking down as if you were playing the guitar.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by ominous24
The play of the G-B-E strings are perfect. The problem is the low E and A. Fret buzz up to about the 7th fret on those strings. Up around the 13th fret they start to gap probably as much as my acoustic. If I raise the treble end, won't that just decrease the play of those stings?

In that case the bass side is too low as well, so you need to raise both sides, but the treble side more. A picture of the side of the bridge would help a lot too...that's the one that will tell you if the bridge is balanced.

Check your neck relief too though, fret the low E simultaneously at the 1st fret and where the neck meets the body and check the gap around the 7th fret, there should be around the thickness of a business card's gap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well I took this to the Sam Ash where I bought it and asked for the manager. Being that I was about as stumped as could be because this was starting to defy logic, he could tell I was a little pissed. When he saw the slant on the trem he was shocked. He took the guitar and came back 20 minutes later saying there is an odd twist in the neck and that was causing the chaos.

He gave me the option of taking a brand new JS1200 out of the box or he said he would upgrade me to an RG3520ZH for the same price. I tried to get him to drop a JEM, but he said he couldn't do that far, heh.

I took the new JS1200 and right now it is playing like it was intended. I have 30 days to take him up on his offer of the RG, so I will decide eventually. I have never played the RG so any input would be great.

Thanks for the help on this guys, it was driving me nuts!