how would you guys deal with it?

im talking about booing, not paying attention, just disrespect and bad mouthing?
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
id say just keep playing/rocking out
dont let em get ya down n give them a reason to stop bad-mouthing ya

it is a talent to put on a good show without a crowd getting into it, gigs are much easier with a good crowd, but yeah just give it your all for those crowds you gotta put a bit more effort in!
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
I'd be hoping and praying that somone in the audience will try and heckle us, that at least is a situation that you can do something about by giving them a few heckler putdown lines, and if your good at doing that, it can quite often turn a hostile audience into an audience that is on your side.
But the worst is an audience that simply ignores you, doesn't applaud, doesn't cheer, basicaly doesn't even acknowledge that a band is on.
In that situation, it's all about damage limitation. You may feel like yelling down the microphone at them and telling them not to be so fu*king ignorant, but that just makes you look like a crybaby, so you suck it up, play your set, think of the wages you're getting for the gig, then get the hell outta there as soon as possible and never play there again.
A couple of thoughts here...

This is really very, very rare. Unless you totally suck *really* hard, people are collectively polite enough to not behave that way. You'll get mostly ignored with a smattering of polite applause as a usual worst-case scenario.

Usually there is more at work beyond totally sucking:
-wrong band for the wrong crowd. If you're a Jonas Brothers style boy pop band and they throw you on with a Motorhead tribute.... you're f-ed.
-you show contempt for the crowd, so they're showing contempt for you
-you totally suck but come off like you think you're the most awesome band in the world
...that sort of thing.

If it does happen, try to hang on for a couple more songs and win them over with your absolute best stuff that you think will please them. Failing that, do everyone a favour, thank them politely for listening, and cut your set short.

If audience response isn't what you hoped for, here is a real-life story that can provide you with some hope...

I went to a day-long rock festival. The crowd was fantastic for every single band, such that every single band got an encore. The second-last band wasn't even done their last song when the crowd started forcefully chanting the name of the headlining act. When they finished, there was only louder chanting for the headlining act. No actual cheering for the band that just finished.... never mind an encore. It wasn't that they sucked. They were, in fact, easily among the best of the bands that day - even better than the headliner that came after. The problem wasn't them. It was just that the audience was excited about something else, and really wanted that instead at that time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

If it does happen, try to hang on for a couple more songs and win them over with your absolute best stuff that you think will please them. Failing that, do everyone a favour, thank them politely for listening, and cut your set short.
CT

I respectfully disagree Chris.
If you've been hired to play a gig, then more often than not you are hired to play for a cirtain amount of time, cut that time short and you're effectively in breach of contract.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 12, 2008,
Fair point. I think it is more usual for an opening band to get slagged than a headliner, though. As an opening band, nobody would probably care - even the club owner - if you cut your set short. The alternative would be to drive away customers. Nah... get on with who the patrons came to see.

I remember seeing LA Guns open for AC/DC. LA Guns was getting a polite but disinterested response from the crowd, and proceeded to slag the crowd for being a bunch of boring pussies or something. From then on, they had lost the battle, even though they kept playing. I'm sure the audience would have rathered they just get off the stage and bring on AC/DC.

If YOU are the ones the patrons came to see, then there is a bigger problem. Maybe once you cut your set short, a short conference with the club owner would be in order to see where to go next. Does he/she want you to get back up there and keep playing and risk driving away customers, or would they be willing to suck it up right along with you and just throw some music on?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Fair point. I think it is more usual for an opening band to get slagged than a headliner, though. As an opening band, nobody would probably care - even the club owner - if you cut your set short. The alternative would be to drive away customers. Nah... get on with who the patrons came to see.

I remember seeing LA Guns open for AC/DC. LA Guns was getting a polite but disinterested response from the crowd, and proceeded to slag the crowd for being a bunch of boring pussies or something. From then on, they had lost the battle, even though they kept playing. I'm sure the audience would have rathered they just get off the stage and bring on AC/DC.

If YOU are the ones the patrons came to see, then there is a bigger problem. Maybe once you cut your set short, a short conference with the club owner would be in order to see where to go next. Does he/she want you to get back up there and keep playing and risk driving away customers, or would they be willing to suck it up right along with you and just throw some music on?

CT

I see your point, but the way I see it, you've been hired to do your thing so you do it, to the letter, unless the guy who's paying your wages tells you to cut your set short. And if he does decide to cut your set short, he'd better damn well still pay you the fee he promised.
Part of the job of whoever books the bands for a venue is to make sure that the band they book is suitable for the venue. As long as the band haven't turned up pissed or are substandard for some other reason that's obviously the band's fault.
If the band perform up to their normal standard, they have held up their side of the deal and if they don't happen to suit the particular crowd at a venue, then that's the fault of the booker for not checking them out properly.
yeah cutting your set short would throw everything, as the night is all timed etc

when i saw trivium in 06 (this was my first show, i was a late bloomer into heavy music) but sanctity were the first openers and a guy near me yelled in between songs "you suck" and "get off the stage". I think that there are always people like this though at shows, cause a few shows later a guy threw his shoe at the headliners(trivium) so yeah.

Im not sure if i disagree with Slacker by having comebacks at the audience, if it was one guy then yeah thats fine, if it was me though i wouldnt abuse them or anything id ask em to come up and try and do it better. I doubt that they would and if they did the audience supporting you would boo em just as bad
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Part of the job of whoever books the bands for a venue is to make sure that the band they book is suitable for the venue. As long as the band haven't turned up pissed or are substandard for some other reason that's obviously the band's fault.
If the band perform up to their normal standard, they have held up their side of the deal and if they don't happen to suit the particular crowd at a venue, then that's the fault of the booker for not checking them out properly.

Therein is the heart of the matter. If the band genuinely sucks ass, then yes, it is the bands fault that they suck. However, it is a shared responsibility, because it is the job of the booker to screen these things. The other possibility is the band misrepresenting themselves.

If the problem is the band is poorly matched to the gig, then that is the booker's fault too.

Either way, if a band is being mercilessly flamed by a crowd, that band should not have been there in the first place.

CT

ehh i would probably just keep playing and act as if it was a crowd of girls screaming for my sex hah

if anything ask a heckler to come up and try to do better..and if he tried push him off stage..lol
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
I've played a few shows like that, you just perform like you always do really. You definitely need to be able to play through something like that and still give a good performance, because as a gigging band it's going to happen. And besides, the shows we played that were like that still had one or two people that were really into us. They paid money to get in, so give them a good show!
We're only strays.
Sure, not every crowd is going to love you... or even like you for that matter. However, if the crowd, as a group, really hates you... you have a big problem. I'm not talking indifference. I'm talking like you have a whole room full of people shouting at you to get off and shut up and you suck and blah, blah, blah. I have personally never seen that, never mind been part of it, and I've been playing in bands, on and off, for over 20 years.

I'm sure it happens, which is why we're discussing it, but it seems really, really rare, and I expect only happens when something in the planning process got really screwed up.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Sure, not every crowd is going to love you... or even like you for that matter. However, if the crowd, as a group, really hates you... you have a big problem. I'm not talking indifference. I'm talking like you have a whole room full of people shouting at you to get off and shut up and you suck and blah, blah, blah. I have personally never seen that, never mind been part of it, and I've been playing in bands, on and off, for over 20 years.

I'm sure it happens, which is why we're discussing it, but it seems really, really rare, and I expect only happens when something in the planning process got really screwed up.

CT

yeah i have never seen it happen..it was just a question i thought of..like how would you handle it

i guess you could just ignore it and stuff...though if someone throws a drink at your guitar/ instrument...that would be something way different to handle...
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
I think you should always stick to your set list, even if the crowd isn't that interested. Just don't go into any prolonged encores or anything. It's always good to have a band member who can counter hecklers with other witty remarks. Sometimes that can get the crowed on your side.
I have a friend who was booked for the just plain wrong crowd. He started playing and withing minutes he actually cleared the bar. Keep in mind that he'd good, it was just the wrong style for the people there that night. I think that's much more likely to happen than them getting hostile. They'll just leave.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
you could always do what the vines did...

? fill me in please
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Slacker...care to share any good heckler put downs you've come across over the years? Not that I'm gonna make a habit of slagging of all my audiences, just think it could be funny...anyone else used some particularly memorable ones? If this is kinda stealing the thread and taking it off topic sorry...ignore me!
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
Quote by amazing FretMan

if anything ask a heckler to come up and try to do better

Don't ever say that on a stage. It can seriously backfire on you, especialy in a venue frequented by musicians, and it's embarrassing when someone gets up and blows you so far off the stage that you go into orbit.

Me and the rest of Slack Babbath were at a gig in a local pub a few years ago and there was an absolutely awful band on, someone shouted something and the guy on stage said 'If anyone here thinks they can do better, come on up and have a go.'
So someone started chanting 'Babbath, Babbath, Babbath,' and before you knew it, the whole audience were chanting it.
We had to get up and give 'em a couple of numbers because it was the only way to get the crowd to stop chanting.
As I passed the mic back to their singer, I said, 'I bet you don't use that line again.'
He replied, 'Are you kidding? I got to sit there and watch you guys and still got payed for it.'

Unfortunately for him though, the landlord overheard what he said. He got two rounds of drinks in for us and took it out of their wages.

Quote by Imafrog
Slacker...care to share any good heckler put downs you've come across over the years?

Heh heh, yeah, go on then, it's been ages since I posted this anyway, so it's time I blew the dust back off it again.
Some of you will have seen this before and for that I sincerely apologise, but for those that haven't.....

Welcome to heckler putdowns 101. Otherwise known as 'The List'

This is my own personal onstage list of heckler putdowns that I have collected over the years. I have it right next to my set list on stage so I'm always prepared and never stuck for something to say.

1. I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent! (always start with this as it also gives fair warning)
2. Aww. I remember my first beer too.
3. Didn't your parents ever ask you to run away from home?
4. There's an alcoholic who doesn't want to remain anonymous.
5. You shouldn't drink on an empty head
6. Now I know why some animals eat their young.
7. What holds your ears apart?
8. Do I come to your place of work & tell you how to sweep up? (or you could replace 'sweep up' with 'flip burgers' or even 'suck dick')
9. Go and lean against the wall in the other room,... that's plastered too!
10. Was your mother a weightlifter? No? How did she manage to raise a dumbell like you then?
11. If I could find enough wood, I'd board your mouth up!
12. I can't believe it. A hundred million sperm...and you were the quickest?
13. Do you still love nature, despite what it did to you?
14. If brains were bricks, you'd be homeless.
15. Are you from the shallow end of the gene pool or something?
16. Why don't you take a piggy back ride on a buzz saw?
17. With a face that ugly, you could put your nose in your ear and blow your brains out.
18. If I wanted to hear from an arsehole I would have farted.
19. I'm sorry, I don't know how to deal with you, I'm a musician not a proctologist.
20. On a scale of one to ten.... you're an dickhead.
21. You're ugly, your dick is short, no one likes you, shut the f**k up.
22. I've seen better faces on a clock, and even then, a cuckoo came out of it.
23. You couldn't get laid in a brothel with a fistful of twenties.
24. Save your breath, you'll need it to blow up your date later.
25. Look man, I grew up in... (name an area with a bad rep near to where you're playing) I've already been through your wallet, I know where you live, now shut the f**k up.
26. Good to see you again, I see you've gone back to wearing men's clothing.
27. (To a man who has just implied that you're gay) You want to know if I'm gay? Why don't you and your girlfriend bend over and see which one I f**k?
28. I could have been your father.... but my brother beat me to it because he had change for a dollar.
29. You'll never be half the man your mother was.
30. I got into this business because I thought it would be a bit of a fanny-magnet, but I didn't think I'd come across as big a c*nt as you.... Then say....I apologize for calling you that. I'm sure you're not a c*nt. You probably don't have the depth or capacity to give pleasure.
31. Hey, I like doing my act the way you like having sex.... alone.
32. You're the load your momma should have swallowed.
33. How did you get here? Did someone leave your cage open?
34. I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.
35. I don't know what makes you so stupid.... but it's really working!
36. He's so empty headed, if you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean.
37. I honestly don't think you are a fool.... but then what's my opinion worth against thousands of others?
38. Do you know what you have in common with a sperm cell? You both have a 100 million to one chance of becoming a human being.
39. If you want to be on stage we can switch places..... you come up here and entertain the audience, I'll go down there and act like an arsehole.
40. Is that a foreign T-shirt? No? Oh, it's just that I've never seen 'c*nt' spelled that way before.

With this list comes great power, and as all Spider-Man fans know, ''with great power comes great responsibility'', so I'm trusting you guys not to abuse that power. ( Yeah, right.)
As always, it's important to mention that putting down a heckler is an artform. It's not just as simple as hurling abuse at the guy, it needs to be handled with finness and style and also with great timing.
To start with, look at the list. A lot of those will not be suitable for every audience or venue, use some of them in the wrong venue and you might be barred for life, or if you use number 28 for example (which is basicaly calling the guy's mother a prostitute) you better make sure he ain't some hardcase that's gonna hospitalise you, or even worse, that his mother isn't sat next to him. So read your audience first.
The last thing you want to do is get into a slagging match with someone.
The audience is there to see you play not blurt out a tirade of abuse and besides, you don't wanna use up all your lines in one go.
Just say the line and while the audience is laughing, dive straight into the next song, that way the heckler doesn't get the immediate opportunity to answer back, which will put him off his stride.
Also, if you play there again and you get another heckler (or even the same one bent on revenge, it happens, believe me.) try not to use the same lines you used last time.

I once saw a singer ask a heckler if the girl sat next to him was his girlfriend, the heckler said that she was so the singer asked if she was good in bed. Of course the heckler had to say that she was because she was sat right next to him, so the singer then said 'How do you think she got to be that good?'
Now, although this got a big laugh, the young lady in question ran out of the place in tears, which was unfair because it wasn't her fault that her boyfriend was a loudmouthed jerk. As far as the club owner was concerened it was a step too far and they never played there again.

The funniest one I ever saw was actualy a drummer I was working with one night.
Some guy who couldn't win at heckling had stood in front of the band, dropped his pants and showed the band his bare backside.
We kinda ignored it and got on with our set but a few songs later, our drummer suddenly stopped us mid song (something that is usualy a big no no during a gig)
He'd seen the guy walking into the gents, so he stood up, grabbed a spotlight, turned it until it lit this guy up in the toilet doorway and said over his mic 'While you're there, wipe your arse you dirty bastard!'
Nobody could play a thing for laughing for a little while after that one and the audience was in hysterics and believe it or not, the guy even bought us all a round of drinks afterwards because even he thought it was funny.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by Blaster Bob
I think that's much more likely to happen than them getting hostile. They'll just leave.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I said to cut the set short if it is really *that* bad. Disinterest is one thing. So is a handful of hecklers. A crowd that, as a whole, really hates you might get hostile. They may just collectively start leaving. You can bet that if you keep it up, they will only get more hostile, or if they haven't yet, will start leaving.

At that point, if I was a manager, I would hope for the band to just stop so my patrons would stay. I'd try to stop the bloodflow while I can, and meet with the band and the booker to find out what happened.

CT

Oh so what to do if the crowd is hostile? Well the Blues Brothers just kept playing like everyone loved them LOL. But they had chicken wire for protection. So without a shield against beer bottles, I'd say just leave. What else can you do?
We're only strays.
The majority of people will just leave instead of heckling. Whenever I go to local shows, there are usually four or five bands. If a band comes on that I don't like, I just go wait outside with other people who don't like the band until they are done.
Slacker, your a legend.

THANKyou!
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
Quote by amazing FretMan
? fill me in please

the crowd were talking at one of their concerts which was sponsored by Triple J (Aus Radio station).

Anyways...

Craig (Singer/Guitar) got really pissed off, cause the audience wasn't listening, so he started callin' them sheep, then yelling "MAAAAAA, MAAAA". Then the crowd began to chant back, and chaos broke loose. Im a little sketchy on the details, but Craig ended up kicking a photographer in the face.

Since then Triple J have banned them from performing at any of their concerts, as well as not being able to be played on their station again.

I think that's was the inspiration behind their next hit "Don't listen to the radio".

Hope i entertained.
Playing to no crowd is worse than playing to a hostile one

What if the problem is rather than a crwod being hostile, being a crowd that dosen't give a damn and is only seeing you because you are playing with other bands who are considered to be 'cool'?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Oh so what to do if the crowd is hostile? Well the Blues Brothers just kept playing like everyone loved them LOL. But they had chicken wire for protection. So without a shield against beer bottles, I'd say just leave. What else can you do?

I remember Dave Lee Roth when he was with Van Halen getting hit by a bottle at Donnington 84. (I think, memory gets a little fuzzy) He stopped the band dead and said 'Listen buddy, I know who threw that bottle and I don't give a damn because when this gig's over, I'm gonna fu*k your girlfriend!'

Quote by Imafrog
Slacker, your a legend.

THANKyou!

Anytime bud.
I think it's time I made a blog of that list.
a band I was filling in for were having a bit of a shit gig.

the first song got a polite applause and the second didn't even get that.

'that's what i like to hear... silence.

are we ****s or something?'

'yeah'

'cool, can we get a **** yeah?'

that got the crowd on our side. after that they were back on our side. ended up getting the best reception of the entire night.

I figure the best way to solve this problem is to not take yourselves too seriously and don't get angry with your replies. It only makes you look worse.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
my old band had a heckler at a rather large show and i steped up to the mic when he was yelling "play korn" and told him to shut the **** up, he rushed the stage but luckly like 6 people from the crowd tackled him before this huge drunken man could get up on the stage and kick my ass
89' fender strat
gibson sg specail with grover tuners
standard tele
ibenez gio bass
takamine eg334sc
72'martin d-15
skbps-45 board, lots of pedals
peavey tripple xxx head w/ marshall cab
Quote by axemanchris

CT

I have actually seen that.

I went to see GNR one night and they were seriously late.

Someone called up a local GNR band but they only knew one song...played it for a while, and got booed off stage...