I am just wondering if there is an equivilent to the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz in a Precision layout?

I am looking to get a new bass, and don't want to break $400 on the bass. I also want to stay clear of mexican fenders....I had a Fender Standard Jazz, and I thought I paid a lot for the name.

Anyway, any help would be great.
Another question I had was this,

Is the Jazz tone inherently thin? I am comparing a tbird to a jazz bass, to considar getting as my next bass, and the Jazz tone sounds very thin.

I love the palyability and asthetics of the jazz bass (Especially the VM jazz!), but I love the warmth of tone that the Tbird has.
Quote by Anjohl
Another question I had was this,

Is the Jazz tone inherently thin? I am comparing a tbird to a jazz bass, to considar getting as my next bass, and the Jazz tone sounds very thin.

I love the palyability and asthetics of the jazz bass (Especially the VM jazz!), but I love the warmth of tone that the Tbird has.

You aren't EQing right. Jazzes can sound huge, but learn to listen to the bass. Let it speak to you and tell you what it wants and needs.
Jbasses have never sounded thin to me, they have the most balls out of any bass i've ever played.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I have the VM Precision Bass TB, and it's fantastic.
Playing it right now, in fact.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
For some reason, I don't like precision basses. I don't know what it is...part of me finds the instrument PLAIN looking. Petty maybe, but I never liked them.

I am going to try out the VM JAzz tommorow, compare that to the Tbird, see which I like more.