My cousin is getting into guitar but he bought a real shit amp. some 5 watt crate or something. Anyway he wants to replace it with a good 30-50 watt SS amp.

Now we live in Australia and tube amps are ****ing expensive. A ValveKing costs about $400 US right? Well there over $1000 over here.

So some good SS amps. NOT practice amps he wants a good amp that's gig worthy.

Price limit is $1000 and that is the very highest he wants to go. I'l have to ask, but i think he said his ideal price is around $700 AUD (Or $300-400 US)

He plays all sorts of stuff so it has to be fairly versatile. Good cleans, Good Crunch, Good high gain. The high gain can come from a pedal though, so it doesn't really matter about that.
He could look used for some type of higher wattage modelling amp on ebay or some other local classifieds. Something like a Cube 60, Vox AD50, Line 6 Flextone, something along those lines. If he still uses the other amp for practice and only wants the new amp for gigging, he could go tube if he looks used. I found my Laney for $900 on ebay, which would have retailed for about $2500 new. Don't just restrict yourself to SS just because of the prices though, there are plenty of other options.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Get an ausie tube amp,

go a wasp, there were heaps of them floating round in the 70's

you can pick them up for 700 with a cab
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Valvetronix FTW.
Quote by imgooley
Valvetronix FTW.

yeah, the valvetronix is definitely gig-worthy. Even when cranked to the max you don't get horrible power-amp breakup like you'd expect from a modelling amp.

I actually like the fender dyna-touch amps out of the low end solid state amps. they have a couple of deluxe 900s and a stage 1600 at college. There appears to be a bit of a reliability problem with them but that is likely to be because most students don't take good care of other peoples gear.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
yeah, the valvetronix is definitely gig-worthy. Even when cranked to the max you don't get horrible power-amp breakup like you'd expect from a modelling amp.

I think they underrate the RMS power of them. They are epically loud.
cube 30/60 has great high-gain, peavey vypyr you should look at, and the vox valvetronix is nice
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Final !mpact
Now we live in Australia and tube amps are ****ing expensive. A ValveKing costs about $400 US right? Well there over $1000 over here.

Shop around man, $800 here

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/peavey/index.htm

and if you go secondhand you can get a good tube amp under AU$1,000. I payed $700 for my JCM800 from a pawn shop and $800 for my 20W Mesa, halvies suggestions of the Peavey Classic and Laney amps are good ones too.

I know you said SS but it appeaars only cause you thought a tube amp was out of reach.