Im getting my first tube amp soon, and its a real toss up between Peavey Classic 30 and the Laney VC30 212.

They both sound great, but i'm concerned about gain levels. I like the 'Pre' volume on the Classic 30, so i can crank it at lower volumes.

I play music like Incubus, QOTSA, The Mars Volta, Biffy Clyro, Rage Against The Machine etc so not really high gain, but for stuff like older Incubus would i need a boost pedal/OD? I currently use a cheap strat (although VERY good) and im planning on getting a new guitar sometime soon (Tokai Les Paul/Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar), if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Dave
sounds like just a bosting od pedal would be what you need, either amp is really good id personally go the laney as it has a nicer cleans, um there are heaps of TS clones around lots of overdrives you can look at, just go and play a couple!
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
What's your price range?
I was considering it, but the lack of indepth EQ and the fact that you cant switch channel put me off.
Get the VC30!
With an OD pedal, you can get those sounds.

It's a lot cheaper then the C30 too.

BUT, if you are not gigging, I say get the VC15.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Get the VC30!
With an OD pedal, you can get those sounds.

It's a lot cheaper then the C30 too.

BUT, if you are not gigging, I say get the VC15.

+1 for an OD for either amp. But in America the C30 is WAY cheaper ($600 as opposed to $1099 for the VC30, according to google), especially if you go used. As an example, my Classic 50 was only $350.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
+1 for an OD for either amp. But in America the C30 is WAY cheaper ($600 as opposed to $1099 for the VC30, according to google), especially if you go used. As an example, my Classic 50 was only $350.

But he resides in the UK, as he gave us a budget of around £300-£500.

So the VC is a cheaper.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
An OD seems to be the general consensus. What ones would you recommend? No real budget, but a price within reason. £50 - £120.
try both if you can- generally i prefer the vc30, but it depends where you are. you're in the UK, so the vc30 is cheaper and (subjectively, also dependent on music styles) better, so it's win-win. but in the USA, the classic 30 is cheaper.

also, the vc30 has a gain control too, no worries there. you can get low volume overdrive just like the classic 30.

EDIT: i'd also try some pedals through both amps, some pedals sound better through some amps than others etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?