K so I know how to partion my drive, instal ubuntu and everything and it appears as ubuntu instals grub bootloader, but if I don't like ubuntu, is there a way I can just use grub to boot vista and delete the linux partion? or do I need to use the vista cd to repair the MBR?
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
Quote by Survivalism
Why don't you just run the live CD to see if you like it first?

I don't need to instal it to preview it with the live cd?
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
I've done this and I regret it. GRUB refuses to be replaced so now the only way around it is to totally delete the partition and hope that when you repair Vista it fixes the MBR.

I haven't tried it yet but it might work.

Edit, No, you can just use the LiveCD, it's just like using the full version except it runs off the CD.

You can even download and install stuff. Only problem is you have to do it everytime you use it.
Quote by Ollieyoufool
I don't need to instal it to preview it with the live cd?

Nope; that's why it's a called "live." You can boot right from the CD. It's slow as piss but otherwise essentially fully-functional.
You're*
Quote by maggot9779
I've done this and I regret it. GRUB refuses to be replaced so now the only way around it is to totally delete the partition and hope that when you repair Vista it fixes the MBR.

I haven't tried it yet but it might work.

Edit, No, you can just use the LiveCD, it's just like using the full version except it runs off the CD.

You can even download and install stuff. Only problem is you have to do it everytime you use it.

I'm assuming if you load the recovery for windows and type fixmbr (y) it should do it, but if grub is so great I wouldn't mind just being able to load vista from that, even if I decide to delete the partion with linux
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
I've done this recently, on a really hot chick's laptop that I messed up.
Insert Vista CD, go to recovery, terminal. type BOOTREC /fixmbr

You could use GRUB to boot into Windows, but there's a long setup process for that, involving installing Grub in a separate partition. As of now, it's in the Linux partition, and will die when you delete Ubuntu.

edit: go here. http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#How_to_make_a_separate_Grub_Partition_
Last edited by 601210 at Oct 12, 2008,
After looking in to it, I don't have the vista cd (it was preinstalled on my computer) so I figure I should just leave it alone haha
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Ollieyoufool
After looking in to it, I don't have the vista cd (it was preinstalled on my computer) so I figure I should just leave it alone haha

I had that problem too. Think we used someone else's Vista CD.
And I *heard* that Microsoft has a Vista Recovery CD for download. Not completely sure, though.
Quote by 601210
And I *heard* that Microsoft has a Vista Recovery CD for download. Not completely sure, though.

Yeah I'm just not gonna fuck with it
Quote by darkstar2466

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by 601210

Yes you can download just the repair CD. That's how I fixed mine since my computer came with Vista pre-installed.

I don't remember the website but you can search on google for it.