Hey, my first lesson, tell me wat u think please

Sorry, the palm mutes arent aligned properly

The Basics Of Death Metal

Tuning & Settings
For tuning, I believe for death metal you should always tune down. It just sounds heavier. Personally, I use Drop C (CGCFAD), but you could use D Standard (DGCFAD) or something similar. For settings, it’s simple: TURN DISTORTION/GAIN/OVERDRIVE RIGHT UP!!!!

Techniques
The two main techniques in death metal are tremolo picking and palm muting. I’m assuming you know how to do these, and exercises and riffs later will use these techniques, so if you haven’t got a clue there are good lessons about them on UG. Find them and brush up! Pinch harmonics are also used, but not as commonly as palm muting and tremolo picking. I will go into detail on using these techniques later, just wanted to warn you they’d be coming up.

Scales
The scales most commonly used in death metal are things like Phrygian, harmonic minor and more ‘exotic’ scales. Search around, I’m not going to tab them here, you can probably find them somewhere on UG.

Using Those Techniques
Right, now we’re going to get started on playing. First up:
Palm Muting
Obviously a crucial technique in death metal. It has to be very accurate and precise to work with the drummer going mad on the double bass. Try this (remembering we’re in drop C):
D|-------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------|
F|-------------------------------------------------|
C|-------------------------------------------------|
G|-3/6\3-3-3-3-1-0-000000-3/6\4-4-4-4-1-3-000000-0-|
C|-3/6\3-3-3-3-1-0-000000-3/6\4-4-4-4-1-3-000000-0-|
PM ------- ---------- ------- ---------
That is a heavy, aggressive sounding riff. Palm mutes can also be used more subtly, by hitting the open C and creating a ‘punch’ that keeps the rhythm going, like this:
D|-----------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------|
F|-----------------------------------|
C|-----7-6---5-6-------------7-8-----|
G|-----5-8---3-4-----4-3-----5-6-----|
C|-0-0-----0-----0-0-4-3-0-0-----0-0-|
PM---- - ---- ---- ----
This style of palm muting is more commonly used in melodic death metal, though.

Tremolo Picking
This the technique used to create the ‘chainsaw’ effect, born out of thrash metal. It is used as the base of a riff before it breaks out into a lead or more melodic riff. It also keeps the drummer alert or abrupt changes in tempo.
D|-----------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------|
F|-----------------------------------------------|
C|----------------------4----------------------4-|
G|------------------1-3--------------------1-3---|
C|-0000000000000000-------2222222222222222-------|
PM-------------------------- --------------------------
Tremolo picking is also used without palm muting the notes, to give a more ‘evil’ sound (from black metal) without losing the brutality of the chainsaw, like so:
D|----------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------------------|
C|----------------------------------------------|
G|----------3333----------33330000--------------|
C|-00000000------44445555----------444455553333-|

Pinch Harmonics
Pinch harmonics aren’t used as commonly as the above techniques, but a well-placed pinch sounds great. Use them to break up heavy riffs, like so:
D|--------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------|
F|--------------------------------|
C|-----------------3-5------------|
G|-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-3-3-3-3-3----|
C|-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-----3-3-3-3-3*-|
PM------- ---------- ---------

Bands To Hear
The most important an, in my opinion, best death metal bands are: Death, Nile, Obituary, Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse. Start learning songs by these bands and you’ll soon get the hang of death metal. Nile are more technical death metal, so they use the techniques covered in this lesson as well as other advanced techniques.
nice lesson even though Death metal is a extreme form of music, it very interesting to listen to
cool.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Not bad, but Death Metal rarely, if ever, uses drop tunings.
CC don't, Death don't, I don't think Morbid Angel do, not sure about Obituary and I've only heard one Nile song in a drop tuning (Lashed to the Slave Stick) but there are probably more.
And now i shall crit your lesson.

Hey, my first lesson, tell me wat u think please

Sorry, the palm mutes arent aligned properly

The Basics Of Death Metal

Tuning & Settings
For tuning, I believe for death metal you should Number 1 always tune down. It just sounds heavier. Personally, I use Drop C (CGCFAD), but you could use D Standard (DGCFAD) or something similar. For settings, it’s simple:Number 2 TURN DISTORTION/GAIN/OVERDRIVE RIGHT UP!!!!

1. This is true, however, i think it would be more aptly put if you mentioned lower than that. Drop B prehaps? Just because we're playing guitar.. doesn't mean it must be a standard six string? A seven string guitar with lowest string an A if feasilbe too.

2. Well, yes. This is almost a redundant statement. Of course there will be distortion. However, settings doesn't just refer to overdrive/distortion etc. Do we scoop mids? Is the lows really full? These are questions that must be asked.

Quote by --ATREYUROCK--

Techniques
The two main techniques in death metal are tremolo picking and palm muting. Number 3 I’m assuming you know how to do these, and exercises and riffs later will use these techniques, so if you haven’t got a clue Number 4 there are good lessons about them on UG. Find them and brush up! Pinch harmonics are also used, but not as commonly as palm muting and tremolo picking. I will go into detail on using these techniques later, just wanted to warn you they’d be coming up.

3. What if we don't? Could we get a breif explanation?

4. Link please? It would be most appreciated to not have to stray away from the page as much, as a link will open in a new tab. (or window)

Quote by --ATREYUROCK--

Scales
The scales most commonly used in death metal are things like Phrygian, harmonic minor and more ‘exotic’ scales. Number 5 Search around, I’m not going to tab them here, you can probably find them somewhere on UG.

5. Refer to 4.

Quote by --ATREYUROCK--

Using Those Techniques
Right, now we’re going to get started on playing. First up:
Palm Muting
Obviously a crucial technique in death metal. It has to be very accurate and precise to work with the drummer going mad on the Number 6 double bass. Try this (remembering we’re in drop C):
D|-------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------|
F|-------------------------------------------------|
C|-------------------------------------------------|
G|-3/6\3-3-3-3-1-0-000000-3/6\4-4-4-4-1-3-000000-0-|
C|-3/6\3-3-3-3-1-0-000000-3/6\4-4-4-4-1-3-000000-0-|
PM ------- ---------- ------- ---------
That is a heavy, aggressive sounding riff. Palm mutes can also be used more subtly, by hitting the open C and creating a ‘punch’ that keeps the rhythm going, like this:
D|-----------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------|
F|-----------------------------------|
C|-----7-6---5-6-------------7-8-----|
G|-----5-8---3-4-----4-3-----5-6-----|
C|-0-0-----0-----0-0-4-3-0-0-----0-0-|
PM---- - ---- ---- ----
This style of palm muting is more commonly used in melodic death metal, though.

6. Oh my. Double bass = orchestras, Jazz fusion bands, The Living End, sometimes blues. I would love to hear a drummer go mad on that upright bass, but perhaps he could be going mad on the double kicks?

Tremolo Picking
This the technique used to create Number 7 a the ‘chainsaw’ effect, born out of thrash metal. It is used as the base of a riff before it breaks out into a lead or more melodic riff. It also keeps the drummer alert
or abrupt changes in tempo.
D|-----------------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------------|
F|-----------------------------------------------|
C|----------------------4----------------------4-|
G|------------------1-3--------------------1-3---|
C|-0000000000000000-------2222222222222222-------|
PM-------------------------- --------------------------
Number 8 Tremolo picking is also used without palm muting the notes, to give a more ‘evil’ sound (from black metal) without losing the brutality of the chainsaw, like so:
D|----------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------------------|
C|----------------------------------------------|
G|----------3333----------33330000--------------|
C|-00000000------44445555----------444455553333-|

7 a. The what? Chainsaw effect? How so. How is it like a chainsaw?
b. I assume you meant of. Not that i'm nitpicking.

8. What? "Evil"? How so. Could you describe.

NB. I am helping you try to improve this lesson on the basics of death metal. So please to not get upset if you don't like my corrections etc.

Pinch Harmonics
Pinch harmonics aren’t used as commonly as the above techniques, but a well-placed pinch sounds great. Use them to break up heavy riffs, like so:
D|--------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------|
F|--------------------------------|
C|-----------------3-5------------|
G|-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-3-3-3-3-3----|
C|-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-----3-3-3-3-3*-|
PM------- ---------- ---------

Bands To Hear
The most important and, in my opinion, best death metal bands are: Death, Nile, Obituary, Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse. Start learning songs by these bands and you’ll soon get the hang of death metal. Number 9 Nile are more technical death metal, they use the techniques covered in this lesson as well as other advanced techniques.

9. What is technical death metal? A brief explanation of how it differs perhaps?

I hope you enjoyed my crit, and you'll make a few changes if any, and this might be better later on.
I hate my username, it all happened in a rush

████████████████████████████████████████████
Last edited by bLiNk182fOrLyF at Oct 12, 2008,
Nice 1, I love Death Metal, I think that if you want to learn to play this style you also need to listen to Decide, especially there very first album and Entombed.
Too generic.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Seems to be good. Please submit it with "Approved" mark in the title, to make me know, that I've already seen it.
fgsfds