Okay, well I've been playing in a band (my first one) for about 8 or 9 months, we play pretty regular shows at bars/clubs in our town, and receive overwhelmingly positive reviews. We mostly play covers, simply because that's what most bar-goers seem to want to hear, but have a few a originals (I'm the primary songwriter). My problem is, being the front man, I have to deal with all of the drunk people when we take breaks and after the show. It's annoying as hell. How do you deal with it? I always end up trying to play 'ambassador,' being as friendly as possible and faking interest in their conversations. Sometimes it's fine, and some of the folks are a lot of fun to hang out with, but one drunk can really spoil the show. I'm so sick of hearing some drunk guys philosophy on existence, or taking advice from folks who spend the majority of their free time drunk at a bar. I don't care that you think the moon landings were faked, and I don't care that I'm not 'grounded' enough. Yes, it would be cool if you bought me a beer, no, I won't play Freebird. Pantera? That's not really our style, sorry (which is usually followed by begging). Etc. Etc.

So, how can I better deal with this? Just run away and hang out by myself during breaks? Just get shitfaced enough to not care?
"Ain't got no time to grow old"
- Bradley Nowell (R.I.P.)
Eh. I'd endure it until they've bought me a drink then **** off as fast as possible.
Stop being a spoil sport and tell em to piss off. If your a cool band you'll be a bit risque and punch a few people
the trick is to be pro-active rather than waiting for them to get some momentum, cos if you just sit there they'll tell you their entire life story. cut them off early on, don't get into anything too deep and be as energetic as possible. also, try going around and talking to different people, it'll stop you getting bogged down so much and it'll get people interested in you and the band. if you're by yourself at the bar you're gonna attract the loners.
Strats -> Twin = sexwaves
Yeah, it's a bit of a funny one this.
If you are on stage and a drunk starts being loud and obnoxious, then you not only have the right to give it too them with both barrels, it's positively expected of you, but whatever you say to them, it must be entertaining because that's what the audience is expecting.
Off stage though, it's all different because you are no longer speaking into a microphone.
The entire audience can no longer hear every word you say to the drunkard and laugh at him when you've made him look like an idiot, you no longer have an entire room full of people backing you up and legitimising whatever you say to him so you have to smile, put up with him, try not to look too much like he's a pain in your arse, shake his hand, make your excuse, then split.
It's all about conveying the image that you are basicaly a jolly good sport.

Generaly offstage you need to seem like a nice guy and at times it can really push you to your limits, but you can't overstep the mark, you can't turn around to the pissed up little fu*ker and say ''Y'know what? You are the most annoying little tit I have ever met.'' and punch the pillock, because stuff like that starts rumours about you, how you're a bad tempered nasty piece of work who starts fights in venues, and that can have quite a bad affect your bookings.

In any genre that involves contact with the public, your reputation is extremely important. Build upon it, make sure people can only say good things about you, and your rep will do good things for you.
Give people amunition to use against you and they won't hesitate to use it, a bad rep can be a death sentence for a musical career.
Oh, and remember that everyone there is jealous that you're in a sick band and up on the stage. Whoever's playing the music - so long as it goes well - owns the room.

Everybody likes talking to the coolest guys in the place so if you give em your undivided attention, even for a few seconds, it'll make them feel better about themselves. So look em in the eye, be free with the niceties, call people "champ", etc. If you do that then you can get up and go talk to someone else without seeming like a dick.
Strats -> Twin = sexwaves
Two words.... "customer service."

Yep. Anyone in business will tell you (and your band is a business that services customers, yes?) that polite, friendly customer support and a great company image are so very, very important.

These people, annoying, drunk, whatever you want to call them are going to be the ones at the end of the night who will buy your CD, buy your merch, and go home and tell their friends about you. They're also the same ones who will bring more friends next time the choose to come and see you.... if they choose to come back.

Great advice, all three posts above.

If you keep it short, and make that person feel good about themselves and you in that short one-minute conversation or whatever, then you win in spades. You're the center of attention. They won't be surprised if you need to go talk to another friend/fan in the crowd, or to the bar owner to take care of some business, go to the can quickly before you have to get ready for your next set, or whatever. If you've made them feel good, not only will they not be surprised, they'll be happy to let you go off knowing that he/she was one of the lucky ones who got some attention from the busiest guy in the room.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Pull an Akerfelt.

Point at him, stop talking, stare at him and say "Shut.... The ****.... Up" Then continue what you were saying.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.