Page 1 of 2
...that I need a new guitar? I've been playing for over a year, and I'm stuck with a 100$ Ibanez. My mom and dad jsut say 'you already have a guitar you don't need a new one'. Even if I'll buy it for all own money they don't let me buy one.. What can I say to them so that they understand it's not funny with this guitar?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by sbikram
your parents are just like mine....

Sucks, doesn't it?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Play for them, but play below your standard and purposely mess up, then request they take you to the guitar shop just so you can have a mess around on a few guitars, pick up the one you want and rock, rock harder then you've ever rocked before and pray they should come to the conclusion that a decent guitar helps you play better and thus you will be allowed to have a new guitar
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
Tell them why and confuse them with specs and what not. If you show that yo uare dedicated then they might consider.
My brother says I don't have to get a new guitar because I already have two,
you could always argue, that you don't need a new car, you already have one.
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
your parents are just like mine....

same hero bro.

Well man maybe their right ive got a $300 AUS dollars Ibanez Rg170dx and im gunna upgrade in about a year, ive been playing for a year and a half, it fits the bill. you only need a new guitar if you want a floyd rose, or if the action isnt acceptable. if its the sound you want, replace the pickups, im sure your parents would understand.

good luck
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
you could sell your old one?

i mean, if you want a better one, you wouldn't have much use for it anymore, anyway...
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by jesus2nd
Play for them, but play below your standard and purposely mess up, then request they take you to the guitar shop just so you can have a mess around on a few guitars, pick up the one you want and rock, rock harder then you've ever rocked before and pray they should come to the conclusion that a decent guitar helps you play better and thus you will be allowed to have a new guitar

No offense but that would be bad if I did. Because one argument my dad has is that "son you need to get better to get a better guitar " even if I'm 4x better than my friends except for one (no ego )
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by jesus2nd

That might backfire, but still +1
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Just go impress some strangers in front of your parents or something...play in the street for that and get your dad to ask any stranger's opinion lol and so on...?
Quote by SOADriff
same hero bro.

Well man maybe their right ive got a $300 AUS dollars Ibanez Rg170dx and im gunna upgrade in about a year, ive been playing for a year and a half, it fits the bill. you only need a new guitar if you want a floyd rose, or if the action isnt acceptable. if its the sound you want, replace the pickups, im sure your parents would understand.

good luck

Or if you don't like the feel of neck, body, where hand is forced. Bridge might be in the way, might not hold tune. Theres many reasons why one might need a new guitar.
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Quote by beetroot10
tell them the sound qualtiy isnt good enough, you cant play songs you liek because its not the right sort of guitar?

Thanks, I haven't thought of that.

The pickups are noisy, I need to tune it every day, the sounds for my music style sucks etc..
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Maybe they are saying no right now, because they know what to give you for christmass. Keep whining their ears off, you'll get a 'yes, ok then' one day...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Okay this is how a conversation just went:

me-Dad why can't I buy own stuff for own money

dad-Because a new guitar is stupid and you'll burn all your money

me -No it's not stupid I want to play guitar and I want to buy a better one

dad -So how much is a guitar then??

me -Anywhere from 300-3000$

And he said neither yes or no...
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93

dad -So how much is a guitar then??

me -Anywhere from 300-3000$

And he said neither yes or no...

Well, thats a good sign (first him asking how much it was, and second him not saying no). Keeptalking about your wish. Eventually they'll give up and say yes.
Another thing you could try is saying you also would like to buy a playstation. With many violent games That'll speed up the guitar process i think.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Can you personally afford the new guitar you want?

If so just go and buy it its your money. Why even ask your parents if you're not trying to get them to pay for it.

I had to get a new guitar a few weeks ago and i just came back from town with it one day "look what i bought" i said and they were like "oh" w/e
Quote by LP_CL
Well, thats a good sign (first him asking how much it was, and second him not saying no). Keeptalking about your wish. Eventually they'll give up and say yes.
Another thing you could try is saying you also would like to buy a playstation. With many violent games That'll speed up the guitar process i think.

Yeah I've told him things like I don't put my money on alcohol and tobacco like everyone else so that's why I want to buy a guitar... Well I'll ask him again in aweek and see what he says

^No, not right now. But I'm gonna work this winter. And my band members say all the time: Hey just go buy it without asking, ot's your money... and when I have the money and if I'm still not allowed to buy one I'll do it anyway :P
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Or you could 'accidently' break your old one Just unscrew the neck or something.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
your guys parents are nice compared to mine.... i play a 100 dollar strat nock off thru an mg and they say that it sounds great. And half of the frets are dead on it so they say " play your dads guitar" and the action on it is so low that you here more buzz than the actual sound produced. not to mention its 30 years old so the frets are worn down like u wouldnt believe.
And if i ever bought a guitar on my own, my dad would break it in half :0
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Oh bummer dude, but I don't feel your pain; my parents are great about understanding that stuff (partially cuz they're both good musicians themselves).

And hey, if it's you're money, you can get whatever you want. They really have no business in keeping you from buying yourself a guitar.
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
SIMPLE SOLOUTION____

Get a 13mm alen Key, Loosen the tremolo rod, and Play it loudish, then chuck a fit and say it just died
Say guitar 24/7.. for no matter what they say answer guitar

Serious Note:
Just tell them that this guitar isn't good enough sound for your type of music
OR
get a music teacher to talk to them about buying a new guitar
Guitar Accesories Fund: €300

My Gear:
Copy of Fender Strat
15W gear4music amplifier
Boss ME-50 Pedal
Quote by ac/dc752
your guys parents are nice compared to mine.... i play a 100 dollar strat nock off thru an mg and they say that it sounds great. And half of the frets are dead on it so they say " play your dads guitar" and the action on it is so low that you here more buzz than the actual sound produced. not to mention its 30 years old so the frets are worn down like u wouldnt believe.
And if i ever bought a guitar on my own, my dad would break it in half :0

Since your dad plays guitar,wouldn't that be a plus?

Anyway TS,here's a few suggestions.
1)Turn off the volume knob,tell them your guitar died and the tech told you that fixing it costs more than the guitar.
2)Buy it first,explain later.They're your parents and they won't be mad at you for long just because of a guitar.
3)Explain to them that guitars and cars are almost the same; there are many factors that need to be considered.
4)This is the most important; what amp are you using?You're still gonna sound like shit if you're playing a spider or an MG.

Honestly,I don't see what's the fuss.My parents don't bother me much getting new gear.They just remind me that I'm not making a living through music.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
If your parents are refusing to buy you a new guitar, try to either find a job or just do like street playing (I don't really advocate the second as much as I advocate the first haha). This way, you can earn your own money to buy a guitar/amp or whatever.

If you need a new amp, just make your amp sound really bad haha.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Harmonics, clarity, and sustain are worse on low quality guitars, better on high quality ones

You could also go the opposite route of that really popular choice, and get REALLY good, and argue that you could get even better on a better instrument (which is absolutely true)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Broken-pick
Since your dad plays guitar,wouldn't that be a plus?

Anyway TS,here's a few suggestions.
1)Turn off the volume knob,tell them your guitar died and the tech told you that fixing it costs more than the guitar.
2)Buy it first,explain later.They're your parents and they won't be mad at you for long just because of a guitar.
3)Explain to them that guitars and cars are almost the same; there are many factors that need to be considered.
4)This is the most important; what amp are you using?You're still gonna sound like shit if you're playing a spider or an MG.

Honestly,I don't see what's the fuss.My parents don't bother me much getting new gear.They just remind me that I'm not making a living through music.

i dont think he cares if it sounds terrible some people want guitars that just feel and stay in tune better to keep him playing.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Personally, myself, I'd just wait for Christmas. If you ask for a new guitar then, they'd be more likely to get one for you.

Or why not just buy it, they can't really stop you. Especially if you 'sold' your first guitar.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I am having the same problem, my parents cant see why i need a new guitar, because i just got one 2 years ago. What i am thinking of doing is asking for only money from everyone for christmas, adding that up with my money, and asking my parents to pay the rest towards a new guitar. I know they cant afford somthing like an Ibanez RG1570 by themselves,but they could afford maybe 25-40%.

I would wait to see if they can pay any of it before you go out and buy one yourself, you never know, you could get somthing better than you wanted originally.
explain to them that unlike a car or university tuition, a guitar is an investment. it only appreciates in value, especially older stuff. so get them to buy you a 1958 les paul standard or an '52 tele.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Explain to them why. Explain the low-grade hardware and wood or whatever. Tell them about how the guitar you have is just a cheap one for people who don't want to blow the money and quit!
My argument is that when I played video games, I had Cs and Bs and like 2 As, now when l play guitar I have Bs and As and 1 C.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Just have a friend drive you to the store and you buy the guitar there. It's your money.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I was in the exact same situation before I upgraded to my C1+. Here's what you do:

1) Find the exact problems you have with your guitar. Examples: neck feels bad, wrong type of pickups, craploads of buzz (that one probably could've been fixed, but whatever)
2) Research other guitars and why they're better than yours.
3) Confuse your parents as you tell them about the new guitars. They'll try to understand all the words you use (humbucker, P90, tremolo arm, hardtail, pickup)
4) Have them take you to GC to try out the guitars. Plug them into an amp better than yours so it sounds even better. Tell them which one you like best.
5) Work out some way of paying.
6) New guitar!

Also, my parents decided that I was really into guitar and have stuck with it longer than most other things I've tried. They had me save up money for my guitar, then said "we'll buy it for you".

Hope I helped somewhat.
Page 1 of 2