Hey, I bought myself a fender blues deluxe amp yesterday and was wonderin if anyone had any tips on how to set up my amp get some john mayer-ish tones.

I was lookin for the type of clean tones he uses is SDIABR and Gravity.

Also, for xmas im getting a Keeley TS-808 TB. As well as the TS i was lookin to get one more pedal for xmas out of my huge list of 'To Buys'. What do you think will get me closest if i can only buy 2 pedals for now? I was thinking out of the Keeley Katana, Keeley BD2-Ph or the Fulldrive Fulltone 2.

Thanks

P.S im playin thru a standard mexican strat (im gettin a usa strat or JM strat soon but itd be nice to know the closest i can get with what i have for now)
1. go to your local post office

2. mail your amp to me
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
use your neck pickup, bass on full, mids about half and adjust treble to taste (to give your tone clarity); you don't want any piercing highs so turn any bright switches off and don't overdo the presence.

bear in mind, he also plays his amps at mega volume with a low drive to get that natural breakup. have a play around and see what you can come up with.
You'll need some specifically wound formvar neck&middle pickups to get the JM tone, otherwise you're only getting an approximation.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
To darken tone don't add bass, instead roll off the treble and presence.

The Keeley modded TSs are excellent, and will help you get close to his sound.
For now, I wanna concenrate on getting as close as possible to his clean sound.

Thanks for all your comments so far =)
Also, ive heard of a lot of people changing the tubes and speaker of this amp.

Do you think i should stick with stock for now?
Also, some subtle compression is a big part of his sound. If I were you I'd look into one of the high-end compressors available as your second pedal.
One of the pedals near the top of my list was the T-Rex CompNova, it has great reviews.
Quote by Rizo619
Also, ive heard of a lot of people changing the tubes and speaker of this amp.

Do you think i should stick with stock for now?

There's no doubt that new tubes and a different speaker can change an amp's sound and feel a whole load. If I were you, though, I'd wait till you've experimented with what the amp can do stock before you start changing things around - you need to know exactly what it is you want to change about the amp before you can know how to achieve it.

Quote by Rizo619
One of the pedals near the top of my list was the T-Rex CompNova, it has great reviews.

I've not tried the T-Rex compressor, but I've tried some of their other pedals and they were excellent.
I personally use the Keeley 4-knob compressor, which I think is fantastic. The Barber Tonepress gets raved about a lot too.
Last edited by Nolly at Oct 12, 2008,
Okay, cool i'll check those out online now and hopefully get down some guitar shops very soon
Any more opinions on amp settings?

Thank you =)
Last edited by Rizo619 at Oct 18, 2008,