...why are they bad?

I'm fairly interested in getting either an FX-260SM or an MH-250QMNT (both LTDs), but I keep reading that the only LTD's worth getting are 400 series and above. I'd like to know why as nobody seemed to bother stating their reasons and instead just say that they're bad guitars...

Thanks in advance everyone!
WEll, I own a M-50 (which clearly is under 400), and I'm quite happy with it. Maybe this is because I never owned a really high-end guitar and I'm not used to them, but I played much more expensive guitars at my local guitar store, and the soud can easily keep up with them. The playability is not that good, though
Well they are cheap, which means cheap materials, pickups etc.
I'd say they are good beginner guitars but when you are more advanced 400 series+ seems like the right thing to do.
I got an EC-500, pretty much the basic of all the high-end Eclipse's, didn't cost very much either and plays great.
I have a really cheap washburn...and it plays better than the KH ESP...so it's all personal preference. U can always put in better pickups if you like the way it plays...
My friend has i think its an EC-50, the cheap les paul shaped ones, and it is 1 of the worst guitars i have ever played in every respect
RG's & Mesa's
They are fairly good guitars, nowhere as bad as a lot of people say. Just remember, UG is notorious for bandwagoning.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by SGStrummer61
They are fairly good guitars, nowhere as bad as a lot of people say.

Amen!

Quote by SGStrummer61
Just remember, UG is notorious for bandwagoning.

Amen!
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
I'm pretty satisfied with mine, I've played real deal ESP's, Gibsons, and other big $$$ models at shops before, they were pretty good but my LTD isn't that far behind in terms of playability.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
In the lower models, you get agathis, and in some cases basswood.(There is cheaper basswood, and i have never seen an expensive guitar use agathis)The lower models sacrifice body woods for things like having set thru necks, and and making the guitar more "comfortable."When you hit the 400 series, you are getting better pickups, and more importantly a better tonewood, which YOU CAN NOT CHANGE. You can change everything else on a guitar, but the wood ALWAYS remains the same, that is why its so important to get a guitar made out of a good wood.
400 and above are generally made from better woods with better pickups and hardware. It makes a big difference, and I know from experience. I get alot more clarity and better harmonics from my Edwards (Japanese LTD basically, and on par with the 600 artist series) than I can with my friends LTD F-200. But to be honest, his guitar is really nice as well

So yeah, there's a reason people suggest 400+, but don't let that turn you off from getting the guitar you want and can afford.

Unless it's a 50 or 100 series
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by Wylde_Man
In the lower models, you get agathis, and in some cases basswood.(There is cheaper basswood, and i have never seen an expensive guitar use agathis)The lower models sacrifice body woods for things like having set thru necks, and and making the guitar more "comfortable."When you hit the 400 series, you are getting better pickups, and more importantly a better tonewood, which YOU CAN NOT CHANGE. You can change everything else on a guitar, but the wood ALWAYS remains the same, that is why its so important to get a guitar made out of a good wood.

The MH-250NT has an agathis body while the FX-260 mahogany, and like you stated regarding basswood, this is probably cheaper mahogany as well. This guitar will serve me for another 3 years at least, and at this point this is all I could afford.. so yeah.

-

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
They're not terrible, but you can do better. That and a lot of them have agathis bodies, which is terrible tone wood.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
They're not terrible, but you can do better. That and a lot of them have agathis bodies, which is terrible tone wood.

I agree. They're not terrible. My EC100QM (agathis body) is a great playing guitar. Even with Seymour Duncan pickups it's tone is not as good as my Gibson V. It was only $250 new and after adding used Duncan pickups I've only got $325 in it. It sounds pretty good considering the amount of money I've got in it. It sounds better than my G400 with stock pickups in it that costed more ($375). If you can afford a better quality guitar then you need to get one. You're better off in the long run.