Page 1 of 6
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Anyway, we have this kid who had cancer when he was born and know he's... Retarded (I need a better word for this). Itsts pretty sad. He cant talk, cant write and he's partially deaf. Hell he can barley walk.

But why should he go to school? Hes in grade 9 or 10 right now but he can barley talk and when he does talk its just random stuff. What could he (or any one like him) possibly do with an education?

Just curious, does he gain anything out of it?
Last edited by Final !mpact at Oct 12, 2008,
You're such an elitist, you might as well be fascist. Everyone has a right to learn and be educated even if in the long run, it won't prove to be as useful as it would than to other unchallenged people. It's where these people can learn morals and everyone has them.

God forbid if you ever became President or Prime Minister.

Quote by Fishylazer
...Guys, I don't think TS meant to appear offensive.

Do forgive us when another semi-fascist way of thinking enters the midst of the 22nd century.

EDIT 2: I'm sorry, I do not agree with flamers. There is nothing more dangerous than people thinking this way and I don't care about it - thinking like this should not be tolerated. People should know from school about equality enough that they should know not to question such things. I believe the reason why is evident and those who question it have no common sense. The question asked is a really silly one. You can't simply say that in today's society. It's an absolute no!

End of.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Oct 12, 2008,
so he can make friends with the other retarded people, what else would they do with there day if they didnt go to school
To try and educate him? It's better to give it a shot rather than just cast him aside like in 300.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Him goin' to a public school is better than to be isolated from society and being forced to go to a school with just the people with disabilities.

In a 'special school' they are isolated, and more difficult to teach because it's like a whole class of them.

In a public school, it's easier. Because:

1) They grow up in this society.
2) They can learn from other people.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
because he has the right to an education.
Equality clearly isnt a concept your familiar with.
you wanna buy a bus ticket mate?
Him goin' to a public school is better than to be isolated from society and being forced to go to a school with just the people with disabilities.

In a 'special school' they are isolated, and more difficult to teach because it's like a whole class of them.

perfectly said

as for your word other than "retarded", try mentally disabled?
So they don't hang around home all day making stupid threads

Like this one, if you didin't get joke

That means your retarded, it you didin't get the irony.
Quote by Harmonius
You're such an elitist, you might as well be fascist. Everyone has a right to learn and be educated even if in the long run, it won't prove to be as useful as it would than to other unchallenged people. It's where these people can learn morals and everyone has them.

...Guys, I don't think TS meant to appear offensive.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Insensitive jerk.

Sorry if i came of that way, i wasnt trying to.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Yeah i guess but everyone gives him a hard time. If he went to a "special" school atleast he wouldnt get so much shit from people.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Actualy hes in one of the 'special' classes were it IS a whole class of them.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

I guess thats true.

He used to be in my class before they split everyone up into 'Smart kids', 'Normal kids' and 'Special kids'

He just stares at people, making noises and getting pencils thrown at him. He wasnt learning much. I dont know if hes still the same know (Two years later)

By the way guys im not being a pr!ck, i'm just wondering what someone in his position would do with an education. Its not like he could get a steady job or anything.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Insensitive jerk.

i know, its like he has no heart
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Very true
Quote by Final !mpact
Sorry if i came of that way, i wasnt trying to.

It's alright. I know what you meant and I know you weren't trying to be offensive.

Yeah i guess but everyone gives him a hard time. If he went to a "special" school atleast he wouldnt get so much shit from people.

He might. Depends on his condition, and the condition of other people in that school. Someone who was just, say dumb (unable to speak) could make fun of someone with, say downs syndrome in that same school. Bullying is everywhere unfortunately.

Actualy hes in one of the 'special' classes were it IS a whole class of them.

A whole class of how many? Even if it is a whole class, they're still in a public school. To isolate them and take them to a special school has a psychologic effect on them, decreasing their chances of learning. However them staying in a public school will encourage them, and make them think they're as good as everyone else, making them learn more.

I guess thats true.

Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at Oct 12, 2008,
then what do you mean??
his life has no value, then why must he live in your point of view??
now dont make another stupid thread saying why should retarded people live???

edit:he's not even retarded, he's physically disabled...
Quote by kill 'em pretty
because he has the right to an education.

that one.
wow, the pit has an ability to be intelligent.
i think its secretly coz we know we're different and supports
other different kids.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by sbikram
then what do you mean??
his life has no value, then why must he live in your point of view??
now dont make another stupid thread saying why should retarded people live???

edit:he's not even retarded, he's physically disabled...

No hes retarded. Heh ad cancer in his brain when he was born.

EDIT: I'm not saying he shouldnt live either. What the f*ck?!
Quote by elliott FTW
that one.
wow, the pit has an ability to be intelligent.
i think its secretly coz we know we're different and supports
other different kids.

I support him.
Quote by Gacel
it helps retarded people to have a social life

+1
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Why the fuck shouldnt he go to school, you moron?

He has just as much of a right to be there as you.
I believe that he should be put in a school for people with special needs, not to segregate him, but so that he would be in a place that is more suited to his needs. I don't know about the US, but in the UK schools will get special grants if they accommodate kids with mental disabilities. This is fair enough if they do accomodate them, but the thing is, most schools try to keep hold of them just for the extra money, which they don't spend making things better for them. This has happened at my old high school and to be honest it's pretty disgusting.

Quote by Harmonius

Get over yourself. Please, get the fuck over yourself. Sure, TS didn't put his argument across in a diplomatic way, but I don't think he was talking about locking him away from society.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
We have an obligation to educate all of our citizens to the best of our abilities. Unfortunately this sometimes means pouring vast amounts of wealth and resources into educational facilities with very little gain.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I love how the pit is sensitive for a retarded kid.

He explained that the education doesn't seem to be working.

Sounds like the kid has permanent brain damage from the cancer so education probably wont be much help.
Quote by jimmyjimbo72
I believe that he should be put in a school for people with special needs, not to segregate him, but so that he would be in a place that is more suited to his needs. I don't know about the US, but in the UK schools will get special grants if they accommodate kids with mental disabilities. This is fair enough if they do accomodate them, but the thing is, most schools try to keep hold of them just for the extra money, which they don't spend making things better for them. This has happened at my old high school and to be honest it's pretty disgusting.

Get over yourself. Please, get the fuck over yourself. Sure, TS didn't put his argument across in a diplomatic way, but I don't think he was talking about locking him away from society.

I agree with this.

I do not agree with this however.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I agree with this.

I do not agree with this however.

So how would putting him in a mainstream school benefit him and his needs? If he is severely disabled don't you think that he will struggle. Of course there is the benefit of everyone learning about how people can be different, but wouldn't he be better off in a school which is adapted for his needs?

My Website

Quote by nimrod_hahahaha

Quote by imdeth

Quote by SenorSmiley
lock him up

In a Zoo
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by jimmyjimbo72
So how would putting him in a mainstream school benefit him and his needs? If he is severely disabled don't you think that he will struggle. Of course there is the benefit of everyone learning about how people can be different, but wouldn't he be better off in a school which is adapted for his needs?

Well if he's severely disabled he'll struggle anywhere. But if he was in these special schools the the teacher would struggle even more.

Also there's the psychologic effect that public schools give them. It makes them feel more normal, because they are associated with - excuse the term - normal people.
Carmel is hawt
tbh, I think he should technically be in a special school to aid his education but ... he has to cope in society and society has to learn to help him and treat him as an equal. It's a mutual learning process. I think that he has every right to a free education but I think that they should do more to give him an education that would help him most.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Hmmm...

I get why Mr. TS would ask this question...

But, Mr. TS has forgotten we live in a world of equal opportunity employment governed by the idea of political correctness...'

What this means is that your little disabled school chum WILL get a steady job and income stream (in Australia it's almost a necessity in order to receive a disability pension). So he will apply for various jobs, not highly difficult jobs, things like facing and tidying supermarket shelves etc. eg. jobs that need to be done and can be done by anyone.

Now, when I worked as an ASM at Woolworths we had on staff 7 (out of 97 employees) mentally disabled employees. They would come in for their various shifts to tidy a couple of aisles, thus giving us the use of and extra 2 or 3 man hours to put into other jobs.

Where does education fit in? I used to hire them and if these people weren't educated i couldn't hired them because they would lack the basic literacy and numeracy skills required to do this simple task. This is why your chum gets an education.

He goes to a public school to learn how to socially interact, as has been stated in other posts.

And in the big picture, how would you feel if you spent your life doing nothing? I mean absolutely nothing as you has suggested for mentally disabled people. You'd feel shithouse and isolated. We educate and employ mentally disabled people so they have the opportunity to experience life as we all know it, despite their disability.

It's all about a 'fair go' really.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
becuase parents will love there kids no matter how retarded they are, so they kick up a stink when their kid doesn't get to do what all the other kids do, because its just not fair. almost as if strapping a dead loved one to a chair and wheeling him into school is fine because its not fair that little johnny doesn't get an education just because he's living impaired or life challenged
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Well if he's severely disabled he'll struggle anywhere. But if he was in these special schools the the teacher would struggle even more.

Also there's the psychologic effect that public schools give them. It makes them feel more normal, because they are associated with - excuse the term - normal people.

Well say his disability is so bad then wouldn't there be the possibility that he wouldn't be able to tell what "normal" is? And in any special school the teachers should (hopefully) be trained to help with his condition. Don't forget that a lot of the things they teach are extremely simple, such as differentiating colours, shapes etc.

I'm not meaning to come across as a twat btw, I'm just curious about your opinion.

My Website

Quote by nimrod_hahahaha

Quote by imdeth

Quote by untalented
society has to learn to help him and treat him as an equal.

Never gonna happen
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by Harmonius

Do forgive us when another semi-fascist way of thinking enters the midst of the 22nd century.

Shut the **** up, you self-righteous idiot. Stop looking for ways to boost your own sense of morality.

Anyway, I think in this day and age, at least putting them in schools gives them a sense of belonging.
Quote by jimmyjimbo72
Well say his disability is so bad then wouldn't there be the possibility that he wouldn't be able to tell what "normal" is? And in any special school the teachers should (hopefully) be trained to help with his condition. Don't forget that a lot of the things they teach are extremely simple, such as differentiating colours, shapes etc.

I'm not meaning to come across as a twat btw, I'm just curious about your opinion.

It really does depend on the disability you know.

I mean downs syndrome isn't enough for them to be taken to a special school.

Quote by the1

Anyway, I think in this day and age, at least putting them in schools gives them a sense of belonging.

Yes. This is why they should be in ordinary schools.

Because at the end of the day, they're humans too. Have flesh, blood, a heart, a brain. So they deserve the same treatment as everyone else. It doesn't matter if they find it harder to learn, or speak, or walk, or hear, or understand.
Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at Oct 12, 2008,
I get you.
It'd be better for someone with a disability of that extent to go to a special school, where they'd learn more about social things rather than academic things that they could possibly never use.

I have to admit though, it did come across fairly...horrible, really. But I get what you mean.
Member of the Laney Cult
90% of the posts in this thread are so stupid and short sighted...

the threadstarter hasnt done a single thing wrong. this is a moral debate which is in no way as simple as you all seem to think it is.

the answer to the threadstarters question has been said by someone; "because he has the right to an education". however, in this instance, you cannot possibly just leave it at that.

i wrote a report last year about disabled people and their rights, and it frustrates me that so many people have condemned the threadstarter like this.

another example of this sort of thing was a case involving a disabled girl whos parents wanted her to be sterilised because once she hit puberty, the difficulties associated with caring for her would increase dramatically with things like periods.

the case went to court and the court decided that the girl should not be sterilised. but why not? she will never reproduce and not being sterilised will make her and her parents very uncomfortable in the future.

you cant possibly say "because she has the right to be fertile" because it isnt that simple.

in the case of the threadstarter, with this disabled person in his school, not only is it not beneficial for the disabled person, but it also complicates the teaching of all of the other students in his class. it would be impossible to teach a disabled child in a class full of able-minded people as well as you would teach the class without the disabled child.

this equates to a truly difficult moral debate about whether or not this disabled person should be allowed in the school.

i wish all of the people who have dismissed the threadstarter as insensitive and thoughtless could grow up and actually speak about the topic at hand instead of getting lost in their own short sightedness.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!