Been playing for a lil while now (i think more than a year or two now cant remember), practise every day, learning tabs, reading up books, checking the forums etc etc but i feel like i've pretty much plateaued. I know theres a lot more (A LOT) more ahead to learn, and i damn well wanna learn it at some stage, but i'm not really making progress towards it, despite the above.

So, i've been thinking that its either 1) i've reached the roof of my natural ability or 2) i just need guidance and experience to keep learning... and since 1) is a bit reduntant in terms of ever improving, i'd like to chase option 2) n see whats behind that curtain.

Problem is, I have no idea how to go about finding a bass tutor in melbourne (aus), does anyone have recommendations? what/who should i be watching out for? whats the standard fee? Essentially, I want to find someone good who's going to teach me bass, and i've heard a lot of guitar tutors claim they can teach bass even though its not their forte.
get a teacher. ive been on a plateau for like 2 years. i havent really learned anything new. and there are no good guitar teachers in singapore. so im sort of stuck til i go to college
If you reach these phases, I suggest going robotic for a bit (e.g. working on speed scales etc) and then trying to make riffs, solo etc. Knowing how to do something is one thing. Integrating into your own playing is another matter.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you cant find a teacher, simply find out a name of a technique, youtube a tutorial for it, and possibly learn from that.

Isnt as good as a teacher, but it gives you the basic idea.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
I'm in SA

Sup my Groovin Aussie Brother.

Don't know about how to find the tutors

But don't pay over $30 unless he has some really really, REALLY good reviews

(per half hour)

uhm, 25 is the standard

try one out, see if you like it if not... then look for another one.

Things they should be teaching, are. Proper Technique, they should at least take you through it and let you know when/if you are slipping out of it, unless you are quite profficiant in your own style

Theory they should be teaching, and Reading Bass Music.

and. things along this line.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
To find a teacher, just go down your local and ask for names/numbers of good bass teachers. They should have loads.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Start a serious gigging band if you already havent!

That will keep you seriously busy and improve youre skills.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
indeed. in my opinion, there is no limit on your skills. if someone spent all his time doing fingerstyle, he could bypass Billy Sheehan in speed, anyone, if shown how and drilled properly, can slap out the toughest Marcus Miller grooves. talent is but how well you do it with this much practice. I should know, I had very little finger dexterity prior to playing bass. it was hard to move my pinky and ring finger independently. I'm not Jaco yet, but I've improved enough to handle a bassline, and I improve more by the month. a teacher will tell you what you need to do. and +1 on the band.

the only thing not everyone can learn and master completely is tuning by ear.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Genre swap idea is a good one. You can also take this as an opportunity to develop laterally, that is broaden instead of hone your musical abilities: lean an instrument that is easier to compose on like piano, knock out some music theory courses online or at the local college, just learn to read proper notation if you only use tabs or ear, etc

Once you've come back to bass (though you should be actively playing the whole time you're learning these things of course) with this new knowledge and perspective you'll magically find out that you've become a better--or at least more thoughtful--player.

Also, now it's going to bother me all day and dictionary.com didn't help, what is the antonym of laterally? You know, focused, concentrated development down one narrow alley?
I am a huge advocate of a teacher. If you go down to the music store they should have some numbers or even offer lessons themselves if it's a bigger company. Also, there is no real standard fee, pay what you're willing to pay. Sometimes though, price doesn't necessarily mean quality in the lesson world. My teacher only charges $25 for an hour of lessons and he's great, with a degree in music and in his second year of learning how to be a music teacher. For all of his qualifications, his lessons are dirt cheap. So shop around, is what I'm trying to say.
Get a teacher. A good teacher can get you past a plateau or road block and open up all sorts of doors. A good teacher pushes you out of your comfort zone and teaches you what you need to know along with what you want to know.

I have had two really wonderful bass teachers (I posted a video of one of them in the forum thread) and I have a great jazz teacher right now. Playing through a school or studio also brings you into contact with other students and teachers, which at least for me has opened up many opportunities for jamming and playing with people (another important part of the equation of getting beyond a plateau).

Bales is correct, shop around, you should be able to find a teacher who fits your budget and fits you as a student. A bad teacher / student combination is a waste of time and effort.

And I've been playing music longer than most of you have been alive; there are no such things as ceilings--only new doors to open. I just wish I had enough time in the day to open them all.
I agree with everything anarkee says.

Not only does a teacher help to get your playing better. A good teacher provides endless inspiration.

I currently take lessons from arguably one of the best bassists in the UK, Steve Lawson (www.stevelawson.net) apart from opening my mind to new styles and techniques, getting me thinking outside of my comfort zone with playing and knowing seemingly anything about what I ask him about; i'm also consistently both amazed and inspired by going to him.

After the lesson finishes I'm just desperate to get back and start playing.

In short, find a teacher, it's a good idea.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Learning as many full songs as possible is a thought. Keeping a list of the songs you know and constantly trying to add to that list is always fun. Plus, if you get in a band, covers are a piece of cake.
just a suggestion but why dont you get hold of guitar pro or what ever and try writing some thing's, maybe a full song or just diffrent riff's and incorporate diffrent playing methods in it. it may even improve your theory if it needs improving and also it'll let you take your methods you've learned and expand upon them.

also getting with a band or jamming with some new people would certainly help, probably more than a tutor could and it wouldnt cost you and money
Cheers for the advice and links guys n girls, I'll give it all a shot, starting from the cheapest option to most expensive and definitely gonna start shopping around for a teacher, heading to my local store this w/e to see if they have a list of contacts!
Quote by emoboxer
Learning as many full songs as possible is a thought. Keeping a list of the songs you know and constantly trying to add to that list is always fun. Plus, if you get in a band, covers are a piece of cake.

I don't agree when it's just left at that. Mimicry is easy- learning and applying is what makes someone better. If someone wants to learn just covers, fine. I just don't think it makes someone a better bassist. Analysing though... THAT is the key.