I've mainly played rhythm, but I want to learn some lead.
So, I've found myself at scales. For major scales, do you use your pinky for the high note of the string? I've found my pinky doesn't always do what I want it to so I use only my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd finger, but I have a feeling I'm developing a bad habit. Should I try to use all 4 fingers?

And how long should it take to get fast at them? It probably takes me 6 seconds to do a scale up and back now...
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
You should deffinatley start using your pinky, you develop it quite fast and it becomes a lot less awkward to use.

Also dont bug yourself with how fast you can play them, just keep playing them slow and making sure your hitting the notes right and getting a good sound out them, speed comes in its own time
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
even though im 13, im 6'2 so i have huge fingers so i never had to use my pinky i used my ring finger but for u i would say u dont have as big hands so use ur pinky
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Quote by dreams broken
even though im 13, im 6'2 so i have huge fingers so i never had to use my pinky i used my ring finger but for u i would say u dont have as big hands so use ur pinky

not good, use ur pinky it is a finger, it will give u extra speed, accuracy, technique and skills DO NOT get in a bad habbit and be like meh, dont need a pinky

it will restrict u in future
Quote by Psalm 150:4
I've mainly played rhythm, but I want to learn some lead.
So, I've found myself at scales. For major scales, do you use your pinky for the high note of the string? I've found my pinky doesn't always do what I want it to so I use only my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd finger, but I have a feeling I'm developing a bad habit. Should I try to use all 4 fingers?

And how long should it take to get fast at them? It probably takes me 6 seconds to do a scale up and back now...

It doesn't matter what fingers you use - a scale is a tool. Rather than worry too much about learning to play it concentrate more on learning what it sounds like. You would hardly ever play a straight scale run when playing lead, instead you'd use the notes of the scale, and at times the notes outside the scale to create a melody. There's no point whatsoever worrying about "getting fast" at playing scales, it serves no purpose

Also remember you're not learning "the scale", you're only learning a section of it...the notes of that scale appear all over the fretboard, that pattern you have is just one place the notes happen to be. Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section too, they'll help a lot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Mr seagull is right about the scale itself, but if scale practice can be weilded in such a way that it will also teach you control over a finger you otherwise wouldn't use then you probably should pay attention to that pinky.

Play music how you want, blah blah blah; learning to use your pinky can only make you a better player, there's no downside to it, so you should take this opportunity to break yourself of this bad habit right now.