Hi Guys

First post, I have a MIM Fender Strat and looking to upgrade all the pickups.

I love the likes of Oasis, Beatles, Cast, Weller, Stones and looking to get that Rock/Indie sound.

What pickups do you guys suggest I try out?
I know its only rock'n'roll....but I lke it

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
what amp do you play through?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I am playing it through a Lin6 Pod 2 and headphones as ive not yeat got the cash for an amp. But looking at the Vox AD30VT

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Then there's absolutely no point wasting money you don't have on pickups - they're not going to make any appreciable difference. Besides, chances are when any of those guys play a strat it's stock anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then there's absolutely no point wasting money you don't have on pickups - they're not going to make any appreciable difference. Besides, chances are when any of those guys play a strat it's stock anyway.

Well if the Beatles played a Strat, it would have '60s pickups, not modern machine wound MIM. I do think he needs an amp though.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Well if the Beatles played a Strat, it would have '60s pickups, not modern machine wound MIM. I do think he needs an amp though.

The point being that it doesn't really matter too much..they weren't bothered about the pickups, there were far more important factors in the tone they were getting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The point being that it doesn't really matter too much..they weren't bothered about the pickups, there were far more important factors in the tone they were getting.

I was just saying they were probably using like Custom '69 pickups. TS you need a Blackface Deluxe Reverb for their studio sound, and a Blackface Twin Reverb for their live sound. I love my Deluxe Reverb.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
So in theory the SSS I am using just now, I would benefit with having a HSS?

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Quote by Kevin A
So in theory the SSS I am using just now, I would benefit with having a HSS?

Not unless you play something heavier. Your Bridge's clean tone would suffer IMO.
Quote by chip46
Thanks Lespaul.

Think I will save my money and I might need to. Having trouble with a 2nd string. Its the 2nd time its snapped in the same location, about a inch above the bridge. Not sure why.

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
if it didnt snap on a contact point, then i would swap string brands.

and my MIM strat sounded better after pickup swaps, but only after i got an amp upgrade.

i'm all for keeping a strat SSS, but imo, the bridge pup that comes stock with mex standards are pretty bad.

personally i like the hot noiseless sound of a good stacked single coil.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What amp are you looking at? The Deluxe may be way out of your budget, but it's worth it.
Quote by chip46
What strings are you using?

I use DR Black strings or Hot Pink

Not sure what amp yet, ive got the strat about 3 months ago so just learning at the moment but my budget would be around 200-250 when I save.

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Last edited by Kevin A at Oct 12, 2008,
i like dr strings, but if you're popping thru them, it's probably time for a change.

but i'd stay in the same gauge and swap one string at a time, unless you feel like setting u the guitar afterwards.

also i added to my last post, you're posting quick.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Super Slinkies may be in order for you, my friend.
Quote by chip46
I have 9 - 42. Do you mean maybe go up 10 - 46?

If so, do I need to get anything setup for my guitar or is it a simple change?

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Quote by lespaul#1
Super Slinkies may be in order for you, my friend.

Ive heard of them, are they not Ernie Ball strings?

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
if you go from 9's - 10's your bridge will lift a bit.

you'll want to flip it over and adjust the screws in the back trem cavity if you notice it's out of balance.
it's not a big change at all. if at all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Im very new to the electric guitar so if I was to get 10's would I need to be experienced to do that sort of thing or would it be easy enough with the guidance?

As I am not unable to play guitar, in the interim until I get new strings. Can I put a different string on the 2nd on and tune it in? Say I put the 3rd string on the 2 String, would that work or is it not advisable?

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Quote by Kevin A
Ive heard of them, are they not Ernie Ball strings?

Yup, but they don't snap as easily, unless they're a couple months old.
Quote by chip46
not advisable.

sometimes a nut can crack if the string isnt a good fit.

will it be a while until you can get strings?

and going for 9-10's, will cause a few small changes in how the guitar plays.

if you like 9's. stick with 9's.

but if you want to move up in gauge, then post back after swapping one string at a time.
i'm always here giving steup advice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
not advisable.

sometimes a nut can crack if the string isnt a good fit.

will it be a while until you can get strings?

and going for 9-10's, will cause a few small changes in how the guitar plays.

if you like 9's. stick with 9's.

but if you want to move up in gauge, then post back after swapping one string at a time.
i'm always here giving steup advice.

Thanks Mate

To be honest ive only ever played with 9's and they seem good sounding for me. Could it be when im putting the strings on that ive not stretched them properly?

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
yeah, he means those. TBH, i burn through EBs. but some guys like them.

with string brands it's all hit or miss and preference.

^nah, stretching only helps get a new string to stay in tune. nothing else.
more likely you had a bad batch of strings. or you play that string a little rough.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Might just get a good few brands and try them out and see what suits me best.

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Quote by Kevin A
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ernie-Ball-Super-Slinky~id~1276.asp

You mean like these ones?

Exactly, I've used them , and they're pretty flexible.
Quote by chip46
At £4 I think I will try them out, even if they dont suit me its not like im breaking the bank.

Thanks

Is there any other ones you could suggest that have a good reputations.

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Quote by Kevin A
Might just get a good few brands and try them out and see what suits me best.

i've been playing way more than 10 years. seems like every year or so i change favorite brand.

i like D'addarios, DRs and elixers on my acoustics.

EBs are ok, sort of a different higher end tone, but i break them more.

and i dont like fender bullets.

but yeah all up to which brand and which type of that brand.
you might even like a coated DR string. something like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Dean Markley's, Diaddarios uh anyone else? Dang, Jenny beat me.
Quote by chip46

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
Last edited by Kevin A at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by chip46
Its ok, checked the order form and ive copies over the wrong URL lol

These are the ones ive ordered

D'Addario EXL120 Super Light Electric 9-42
Ernie Ball 2223 Super Slinky 9-42
Rotosound R9 Roto Pinks 9-42

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
The next strings I plan on buying are going to be like 15-68, or something.
Quote by chip46
Do you start moving up depending on how experienced you are?

2008 Fender MIM Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0

Wants

Fender FR50 Resonator
TS, if you're looking to upgrade, well actually not upgrade since you don't have an amp in the first place, look at the Crate V series. They're selling them for really super cheap.

V18 - http://www.music123.com/Crate-V-Series-V18-112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487051-i1322756.Music123?cm_mmc=$(channel)$-_-Crate-_-Guitar%20Amplifiers%20and%20Effects-_-Crate%20V%20Series%20V18-112%2018W%201x12%20Tube%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp&source=ZWFRWXX&mr:trackingCode=323487C2-E196-DD11-B7E2-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

V33 - http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRAV33212

I'd try a new amp, and then decide whether you need new pickups.