I've asked this question to a few people, but noone seems to know, so here it is....

When you try and route into a corner like when you're routing a neck pocket, the router bit (because of it being circular) will not fit into a 90degree angle, so when you're making a neck template, how do you incorporate this into the design?

This is where you find out who the true builders are.

I imagine you'd offer up the router bit to the template, draw around it so you know where it can go, and then sand the corners off to suit.

Is this standard practice or is there a different method for getting a good result?

Thanks for any info.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
Two ways,

Route the pocket, then clean it up with chisels to give it a square edge,

Route the pocket, put the pocket template onto the heel of the neck, draw on the curves, sand off the curves untill flush fit.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks for the quick reply.

Your second suggestion is the better of the two as far as i'm concerned, but i don't like the idea of routing the pocket before the neck is complete. I think it would be harder to get the neck fitting "Ormsby style" this way but i don't know.

Have you done this yourself Absent mind?
My Sig Is Coming Soon
I would drill the corners out with a drill bit, the same diameter as the router bit, on the template, so that when you route the material, the bit can follow the template right into the radiused corner.

Or, as said you can clean it up with a sharp chisel.

Depends if you want square corners on your neck/pocket or round ones I guess.
I'm not really talking about the neck pocket, i just used that as an example.

The problem i have is that i know i can get a perfect fitting neck pocket for when the neck is complete, but getting the exact radius onto the heel of the neck so it fits perfectly into a routed neck pocket is taxing my brain.

I'm not into chisels at all, and using a chisel for every single guitar is alot of work.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
Nah on my build I cleaned up the edges with a chisel and used a square edged neck.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ok.

so, you can template the pocket fine, but you want to be able to rout the heel of the neck, to be the reverse of the neck pocket, so that it fits properly.

Then you need a reverse template of the neck pocket template, to place on the neck, and route around with a bearing guided bit.

Hmm...

OK. Get yourself some template material, plexi glass, MDF whatever.

Put your neck pocket template on it (hopefully quite a thick one or make a thick one) and fix it down with clamps or double sided tape tec.

Mix up some Epoxy car body filler, and layer it into the template gradually, in order to fill the template.

Once it has set, remove the "mould" and you should have a reproduction of a neck pocket.

Then you can fit this to your neck blank and use a guided router bit, to route around it.

Make sense?

You might want to use some sort or release compound around the inside of your "mould", like Petroleum Jelly, to stop the filler sticking to the mould.

Would that work?
I'm gonna shamelessly bump this as there are plenty of good builders around right now.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
buy a neck t emplate from stewmac/ebay, then you can just tape it on, route... then take it off and draw the neck pocket shape onto the heel of your neck and shape it. thats how i do it. its a tedious process, but dont bother trying if you arent going to do it right/well. all of my neck pockets fit really tight, i give it the pocket test and everything. you will need a router bit with a bearing on it, and i put 2 layers of masking tape on the bearing to make the neck pocket about 1/64'' tighter for a gauranteed tight fit.
I take it this is for a bolt-on neck?

I'd make the neck first, get it so its finished accept for fretting and finishing then make a template from that. Literally just offer up the neck to the MDF or whatever your making the template out of and scribe round it with a very sharp pencil getting as close to the neck as possible.

Cut out the bulf of the material then use a file to take away any extra material keeping a mm or so inside the the line. Ideally the neck wont fit in the template hole by a mm or so. From experience if the neck fits into the template then your neck pocket will be a touch too big.

If the neck it a little tight in the pocket or wont fit then sand a little off each side of the neck or widen the neck pocket a touch with a chisel. With practice you shouldnt have to do anything to the neck or pocket but that just comes with time and experience.

I f**k my fair share up still but its better to do a pocket too small than too big.