Sorry if this is in the wrong board, but I was wondering if I could be able to play a guitar with active pick ups through a solid state amp?

Was thinking about lending a guitar to a friend that doesn't own a tube amp and always wanted to give it a try. Would he get anything out of it, or just random buzzing?
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
You'd still be able to play it; they're still pickups. Alex Lifeson from Rush did it sometime, but they're designed to be played through a valve amp.

So it would work, just don't expect it to sound proper 'brootal'.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
It'd work fine, I have active pickups in my VMNT and it sounds fine through my little VOX SS amp.
Cheers all
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
dude, nice avatar... but yeah active pickus shouldnt present a problem to play through an SS
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

99% of the people use active pickups in a wrong way even with a tube amp. As long as you try to get your distortion from the preamp without cranking your powertubes, it doesnt matter. Actives are designed to give a saturated amp (in natural overdrive, not preamp overdrive, thats why they built the active pickups with a preamp) an extra boost to get a brutal tone.
So if you dont use the actives like that, you bought it for the wrong reasons.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl