OH HELL YES.

Blues is THE way to go!
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
The bald dude speaks the truth Blues is a really great genre. Everyone just thinks it's speed that matters nowadays (and to be honest I'm getting carried away by that stuff sometimes too). It's all about feeling, musicianship and clean technique
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by X_Op3th_X
The bald dude speaks the truth Blues is a really great genre. Everyone just thinks it's speed that matters nowadays (and to be honest I'm getting carried away by that stuff sometimes too). It's all about feeling, musicianship and clean technique

Amen to that!
Speed is overrated.. Mostly.
Quote by lutfish
Amen to that!
Speed is overrated

Because we all know that "soul" is playing up and down the E minor pentatonic in 4/4 time. Anything else is mindless shred.

Do any of you even know who Frank Gambale is? He's one of the most technically proficient guitarists in the world today.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by X_Op3th_X
It's all about feeling, musicianship and clean technique

I'd argue that people who spend countless hours locked away on their own mastering their technique and theory cover those 3 aspects of playing to the point of overkill.
Frank never fails to inspire me. What is that beautiful, tone-to-die-for orange guitar he's playing?
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
^ no idea. Sometimes I love Frank, sometimes I can't stand him.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Because we all know that "soul" is playing up and down the E minor pentatonic in 4/4 time. Anything else is mindless shred.

Do any of you even know who Frank Gambale is? He's one of the most technically proficient guitarists in the world today.

Not to mention he literally wrote the book on "Speed Picking" - ie,

FLOOP FLOOP FLOOP sweep noises.
Quote by ouchies
Uh overreacting? I think so.
Before this thread degenerates into a flame fest, does anyone know what Frank's orange guitar is?
Quote by Freepower
Quote by ouchies
The dude was just saying that speed is overrated. I agree.

Its not like he said, screw technically proficient guitarists, or something stupid.
Yes, I understand and agree. I just know how these types of posts can quickly put the thread into a death spiral.

So, does anybody know what kind of guitar Frank is playing in that blues video referenced at the top of the thread?
Quote by Freepower
^ no, I've been trying to track it down and just haven't had any luck. I even searched his message board for "Orange" - and found some nice little Yamaha endorsements -

http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/guitars/6222
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/guitars/6196

/death spiral or thread gets closed!

And back on topic a little, I personally find the blues bores me because I've heard it all rehashed a hundred times, I wouldn't really feel more than a vague awareness of the blues is necessary for someone planning to play, for example, CoB or Meshuggah-style metal. It's not as if subtlety or phrasing are solely "blues" concepts.
I don't play blues because I don't listen to it. I love bluesy classic rock though.

But man that guy can play

EDIT: Holy shit he's Australian, here I was trying to pick his accent!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Oct 12, 2008,
I agree, when I started out all I did was the blues, and when I proceeded to other genres I didn't even have to think about phrasing, it just came naturally. Plus blues is the most fun to play with potentially the least effort.

Also, that tone is to die for.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I don't play blues because I don't listen to it. I love bluesy classic rock though.

But man that guy can play

I don't listen to it either, but that doesn't matter, it's still fun to play whether you like listening to it or not.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Oct 12, 2008,
I didn't say I don't like listening to it, just that I don't listen to it - I have none in my music collection. And I lied - I sometimes (not often) do play some blues on my acoustic, doing the ol' self-accompanying switches between rhythm and lead.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Holy shit he's Australian, here I was trying to pick his accent!
Yeah, theres a different accent everywhere in australia. Some people in the western suburbs of melbourne sound british (they say yeah at the end of sentences like chavs).

Not to sound like a musical nazi or anything but...
You should be either playing and listening to blues/jazz or classical (preferably both) as a basis. Our contemporary music is based of those two types of music. You name a genre and it has roots in either classical or blues.
Quote by Freepower
^ no, I've been trying to track it down and just haven't had any luck. I even searched his message board for "Orange" - and found some nice little Yamaha endorsements -

http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/guitars/6222
http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/guitars/6196
Many thanks, Freepower! - gpb
Quote by Freepower
Quote by Archeo Avis

No none of us know.... we need a pompous condescending doofus to tell us all.
Doofus? really?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.