how do you guys compare Peavey classic 30 vs. Windsor vs. valveking?
Any idea is appreciated.
All>Valveking.

All being all other tube amps.

The Windsor is a good amp if you get a good cab.
C30 is also a good amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
the valveking is good for people that just realized their spider III is terrible. but it doesnt have much life to it. C30 has great cleans, but ive never tried out the distortion.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the valveking is good for people that just realized their spider III is terrible. but it doesnt have much life to it. C30 has great cleans, but ive never tried out the distortion.

it has great distortion for classic rock and you get metal tone with an od in front

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Go with the windsor. Had mine a little less then a year. No problems.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Simsimius

is the Windsor 412 cab good enough?
Quote by faramarz
is the Windsor 412 cab good enough?

It's not the best, but if you have no money, it will do fine.
I say go for it.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Windsor and Classic 30 are the better ones, as opposed to the ValveKing. The VK still is a VERY nice amp despite what people on here say, its just that the Windsor has better distortion (no, im not talking about metal), and the C30 has very nice cleans as opposed to the VK being ok at both
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by Simsimius
All>Valveking.

All being all other tube amps.

C30 is also a good amp.

+1
The Windsor is actually alright. It just is a bitch trying to get a clean sound at a decent volume. The Classic 30 is great but I don't really like the Valveking
I myself prefer C30.
But what would you do if you had to pay 900 for C30 (don't care the unit) and about 550 for valveking 112? The Windsor head and cab is about 900 too.
I would try to find a used Classic 30.

The VK is a budget tube amp.

IMO - you are going about this wrong.

Budget?
Music Style?
Home or Gig?
New or Used?
Closest Major City?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 14, 2008,
I would go used like I always do. I got my classic 30 for 425 with new tubes and a new speaker. It's teh winzorz. What genres are you playing anyways. The Classic 30 excels at classic rock, blues and like a Guns 'n roses sort of hard rock. The Valveking isn't that great for much, I really just don't think it has a good sound. And if you had to choose between the C30 and Windsor, definetly the 30. But still, genres?
mcrfobtai - i know you don't like the valveking but do me a favor and go The Valveking Thread and find the Blues clip on page 3 and the clip right below that.

Not bad for a $400 stock VK. Does it sound as good as a Classic 30 - no. Is the VK a versatile amp that can do lots of genres - yes.
Valvekings are worth the money, they are good, not great, good. they are versatile, they CAN do metal.
it comes down to 2 things that these UG experts dont know when they test it for 10mins in guitar centre.
1. Input 1 is high gain, about .16db higher compared to input 2.
2. there is a texture control on the back of the amp, it changes the amp from using 2 power tubes (for lower volume) to 4 power tubes.

if you get all of that right you can get any sound you want without a pedal.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
mcrfobtai - i know you don't like the valveking but do me a favor and go The Valveking Thread and find the Blues clip on page 3 and the clip right below that.

Not bad for a $400 stock VK. Does it sound as good as a Classic 30 - no. Is the VK a versatile amp that can do lots of genres - yes.

It's true it is versitile but I just can't get a sound that is as good as my c30. and I got mine for slightly more then a new VK.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Is the VK a versatile amp that can do lots of genres - yes.

What the saying?

Oh, yes.. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Go for a C30 or Windsor.
C30 is better. Windsor is second best.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by faramarz
I myself prefer C30.
But what would you do if you had to pay 900 for C30 (don't care the unit) and about 550 for valveking 112? The Windsor head and cab is about 900 too.

No brainer, get the VK and call it a day. But you "prefer" the C30 so you have to make a call there. Is it worth the extra cash to you? Are you just going to pine away wishing you got the C30 if you got a VK?

Edit: And try to give us less information next time if possible.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by GaijinFoot
Valvekings are worth the money, they are good, not great, good. they are versatile, they CAN do metal.
it comes down to 2 things that these UG experts dont know when they test it for 10mins in guitar centre.
1. Input 1 is high gain, about .16db higher compared to input 2.
2. there is a texture control on the back of the amp, it changes the amp from using 2 power tubes (for lower volume) to 4 power tubes.

if you get all of that right you can get any sound you want without a pedal.
Where do you get your info from?

1. Input 1 is 6 dbs higher than input 2, not 16.
2. The texture control allows the user to have the amp sound either like a class A/B amp, or simulate class A poweramp voicing. It has nothing to do with using two or four tubes. The amp always uses all four bottles. Unless you pull two. Which Peavey advises against.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Where do you get your info from?

1. Input 1 is 6 dbs higher than input 2, not 16.
2. The texture control allows the user to have the amp sound either like a class A/B amp, or simulate class A poweramp voicing. It has nothing to do with using two or four tubes. The amp always uses all four bottles. Unless you pull two. Which Peavey advises against.

The manual
might of got some info wrong but that is how it works and the point still stands, you need to know of these things to get a metal tone. I'll record something to show at some point.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Budget?
Music Style?
Home or Gig?
New or Used?
Closest Major City?

Thank you all.
- In my country I can not find a better deal than the list price. My list-price-budget is 1000USD.
- I like almost all music styles. But I'm not a metal fan. I like solos of classic rock. That "November rain" tone. Kind of cry/moan sound.
- mostly home.
- New.
OK. Well, I would definitley go with the Classic 30. I only really recommend the Valveking for folks who want to do metal on a budget or have less then $500. We see Classic 30's on craigslist all the time in the $400-$600 range which is why I asked what major city. That is the only way to search. You can obviously do that yourself if you are reluctant to give us the City. They are well built and hold their value real well so do not hesitate to at least look and save yourself some cash. Otherwise, get a new one and rock out.
^What 311 said. But I would try the VK if I were you as well as the Classic 30 and see what suits you. I quite like the VK (and don't own one) but everyone has different taste.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.