Hey, i have a Gretsch Electromatic G5125. It's a pretty decent guitar. i also have a VOXAC30. I usually use this setup to play indie and folk and things like that. I'm now in a pop punk/alternative band and I need to get a much better distortion sound. without having to buy a new guitar what do you suggest to sound more pop punkish? here are some samples of what i would like it to sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvkLZTGRe0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wxxzyRi8I0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_MH8SH40tE

Do i need a distortion pedal, new pickups or what? thanks for the help!
i think a proco rat would do the trick. or a modded DS-1.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Well, either:

1) Turn up the drive levels on the AC30

2) Buy an overdrive pedal (I.E Ibanez Tubescreamer)

But, do not buy a distortion pedal. That will be too much.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
the problem is when i turn up the drive levels to where i want them on the amp then theres way too much feedback for me, which i think is caused by the hollow body. i was thinking about getting a noise reduction pedal... what do you think about that?
alright well its not really my style of music so it'll be hard for me to suggest any actual products, but you have some pretty versatile gear already, the AC30 being one of the more versatile amps out there, and a gretsch semi-hollow isn't bad for this type of music.

the cheapest and easiest way to get better distortion is using pedals, so i say take that route. some of that distortion was kinda heavy for something thats not hard rock/metal, so i guess one suggestion i can make is the Marshall Guv'Nor GV-2 distortion pedal. you can get a lot of different tones out of it (i have it), and you could probably get something you like out of it. apart from that though, i can't really make any other suggestions, but i definitly wouldn't buy a new amp or guitar right now, maybe sometime in the future start looking at a solid body electric of some description, but for now i would just get a distortion pedal. just go to a music store and ask to try out some distortion pedals, they'll help you out. one suggestion for that though is use gear that is similar to yours! i made that mistake once and returned the pedal a couple days later.
Quote by lunasora3
the problem is when i turn up the drive levels to where i want them on the amp then theres way too much feedback for me, which i think is caused by the hollow body. i was thinking about getting a noise reduction pedal... what do you think about that?

Loads of band use hollow bodies in those situations, so, make sure you're not too close to the amp, or, do an ACDC and put socks inside the guitar.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by RIP_bonham
alright well its not really my style of music so it'll be hard for me to suggest any actual products, but you have some pretty versatile gear already, the AC30 being one of the more versatile amps out there, and a gretsch semi-hollow isn't bad for this type of music.

the cheapest and easiest way to get better distortion is using pedals, so i say take that route. some of that distortion was kinda heavy for something thats not hard rock/metal, so i guess one suggestion i can make is the Marshall Guv'Nor GV-2 distortion pedal. you can get a lot of different tones out of it (i have it), and you could probably get something you like out of it. apart from that though, i can't really make any other suggestions, but i definitly wouldn't buy a new amp or guitar right now, maybe sometime in the future start looking at a solid body electric of some description, but for now i would just get a distortion pedal. just go to a music store and ask to try out some distortion pedals, they'll help you out. one suggestion for that though is use gear that is similar to yours! i made that mistake once and returned the pedal a couple days later.

thanks a lot for that post!

but what bout my feedback problem?
Quote by lunasora3
thanks a lot for that post!

but what bout my feedback problem?

Read my above post.

How near to the amp are you?
And what kind of feedback is it?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Read my above post.

How near to the amp are you?
And what kind of feedback is it?

oh i didnt see that. im about 10 feet away from the amp, and i get feed back when im not playing anything and notes dont sustain too well... which i dont care much about the sustain thing (actually i kind of like it) but the feedback gets pretty annoying...
Quote by lunasora3
oh i didnt see that. im about 10 feet away from the amp, and i get feed back when im not playing anything and notes dont sustain too well... which i dont care much about the sustain thing (actually i kind of like it) but the feedback gets pretty annoying...

Then the hollow body is causing it to feedback.
I *think* there's a way to stop it, but a noise gate would stop it when you're not playing.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by lunasora3

Will do nicely.
*Might* have to have it reducing noise to max.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Will do nicely.
*Might* have to have it reducing noise to max.

alright. one last thing... I read somewhere that with better pickups a hollow body wont have horrible feedback. is this true?
Quote by lunasora3
alright. one last thing... I read somewhere that with better pickups a hollow body wont have horrible feedback. is this true?

Don't think so, although low output pickups will reduce anything IIRC. Don't quote me on that.

Just keep with what you have. Maybe turn your treble down a little bit as well.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Don't think so, although low output pickups will reduce anything IIRC. Don't quote me on that.

Just keep with what you have. Maybe turn your treble down a little bit as well.

alright thanks a lot for your help