I have a problem with my Marshall MG10CD amplifier. Its brand new as is my guitar (Ibanez GRG270) and the only thing I've done to the amp was cut off the plug and replace it with another (Euro plugs not compatible in South Africa).

The problem is a buzzing/humming whenever I use the overdrive channel. Also when I use overdrive, I get an electrical snapping/popping sound that happens about once a second, kind of like a clock's ticking, steady.

Now, I have noticed that the humming/buzz and that popping die down when I turn the volume knob on my guitar to 0. It comes up again as I turn it up. How the hell do I get my amp to be normal? I realize that amps hum a little when the volume is high but I'm pretty sure this is not normal.

I've tried plugging the amp in every different wall socket in my apartment, standing far away from the amp, playing without any other appliances on...

PS: when I play with my amp and guitar but in "clean" channel, I have zero problems. No humming, buzzing or popping. I've also played my guitar with a friends amp, a different model altogether without the problems I'm having here so does this mean my guitar is fine?
Your guitar is fine. Your amp, on the other hand, is not. I'm sorry to say the Marshall MG series isn't the most reliable of practice amps. It's not worth fixing.

If possible you're best off getting a new amp, and if that's not an option you can get a distortion pedal for your clean channel, which I've heard sounds better than the MG's overdrive channel.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Your guitar is fine. Your amp, on the other hand, is not. I'm sorry to say the Marshall MG series isn't the most reliable of practice amps. It's not worth fixing.

If possible you're best off getting a new amp, and if that's not an option you can get a distortion pedal for your clean channel, which I've heard sounds better than the MG's overdrive channel.

+1. Pedal is the way out of that.
Quote by BlueDaze
The problem is a buzzing/humming whenever I use the overdrive channel. Also when I use overdrive, I get an electrical snapping/popping sound that happens about once a second, kind of like a clock's ticking, steady.

Are you wearing a watch on the wrist of your picking hand? sometimes the guitar picks it up

The buzzing, on the other hand, happens with overdrive on pretty much all amps. But it could be made worse by other electrical appliances in the room which transmit radio frequencies - any other electrical stuff switched on and placed fairly near to the amp? my computer screen is terrible for interference.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Mr E
+1. Pedal is the way out of that.

+3.14159

I had the exact same problem with my Fender Frontman 15G.
Then i threw a Boss OD-3 for overdrive and a Boss MD-2 for distortion in front of it and... problem solved!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112