A friend of mine is going to sell his 4x12" cabinet, that he used for his electric guitar amp head.

I went to his house to check out the quality, because i'm going to need a cab in the near future (as soon as my amp head arrives!!! ).

It's 68cm x 68cm x 35cm (Width x Height x Depth), kinda light, with robust handles on both sides, and 4 small wheels in the bottom (i think they're called "casters").
It has four 12" speakers, but i really can't say which speakers it has, though.

To test the quality, i used my own guitar and "custom pedal board" through his *AMAZING* Marshall 100-watt combo (i think it's a JCM, or something like that).

The cab is very responsive, with almost zero residual noise (only made a little noise when i pumped my Boss MD-2), the sound is very pure, and seemed very reliable.

Its manufacturer is "Pro Drive" (never heard of them) and this particular cab has a few years of use. Looks like it's in perfect condition, and my friend is willing to make a special price for me (less than 120€ / around 100 USD).

What do you think? It's a good purchase, or should i buy a brand-new cabinet?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Sounds like a good deal to me. What amp head are you getting?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
What amp head are you getting?

Eheheh... It's a secret...

EDIT: The amp head i'm getting is nothing special for most people, but i really fell in love with it!

Quote by stradivari310
Sounds like a good deal to me.

Quote by cleft11
Seems a good idea mate. Buy.

Thank you both for your help!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by Linkerman
Eheheh... It's a secret...

EDIT: The amp head i'm getting is nothing special for most people, but i really fell in love with it!

I'm having this overwhelming dread that it's an MG...

Well hey, tone is subjective. Have fun.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I'm having this overwhelming dread that it's an MG...

Well hey, tone is subjective. Have fun.

Nope. It's an uncommon amp model made by a famous brand. Not a Marshall, not a Fender, not a Behringer, not a Line 6, not a Vox... It's kinda rare to see one, actually.
EDIT: But it sounds very good to me, and i think that's what matter!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Highwaytohell
methinks you should ditch some of those boss pedals and get a new guitar and tube amp head

No, thank you very much.
That was a little off-topic, don't you think?
But anyway, thanks for your input!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Is the head tube?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Only stradivari310 and cleft11 gave me the opinion on to buy or not to buy this used cabinet...

Is this a good deal? Does anyone know the brand Pro Drive?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Here is what you need to do.

Check the construction of a cab, see what it is made out of. I've never heard of pro-drive, it could very well just be a cheap cab. There is really no disadvantage to used cabs, but there are disadvantages to cheap, crappy cabs.

Take off the back panel, see what the cabinet is made out of, particle board? MDF? Or is it birch ply? Just my 2 cents but I would not go with a particle board of MDF cabinet, you're better off just saving up more for a good cab later on. If it's constructed of one of those two, you could buy it just to use for your head for the time being, but truth be told, expect to buy a new cabinet in the future. The cab itself is slightly undersized for a 4x12.
Quote by al112987
Here is what you need to do.

Check the construction of a cab, see what it is made out of. I've never heard of pro-drive, it could very well just be a cheap cab. There is really no disadvantage to used cabs, but there are disadvantages to cheap, crappy cabs.

Take off the back panel, see what the cabinet is made out of, particle board? MDF? Or is it birch ply? Just my 2 cents but I would not go with a particle board of MDF cabinet, you're better off just saving up more for a good cab later on. If it's constructed of one of those two, you could buy it just to use for your head for the time being, but truth be told, expect to buy a new cabinet in the future. The cab itself is slightly undersized for a 4x12.

Thank you very much for your advice!!! I'll open the back panel and check the construction materials.
And i know it's slightly undersized, this cab is in a special compact size to fit the back seat of cars more easily.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I don't get why you even made this thread only for actually for someone to talk to you....?
You probably know the head isn't great as you won't say what it is for knowing everyone is going to say.
So if it all sounds good to you, what response are you expecting back?

Maybe you should ask your dog. Dog is mans best friend, he'll always agree with you.
Quote by davedoom
I don't get why you even made this thread only for actually for someone to talk to you....?
You probably know the head isn't great as you won't say what it is for knowing everyone is going to say.
So if it all sounds good to you, what response are you expecting back?

Maybe you should ask your dog. Dog is mans best friend, he'll always agree with you.

Maybe you should learn how to read.

I want to know if the used Pro Drive 4x12" cabinet for around 120 US dollars is a good deal or not.

I don't know the brand "Pro Drive", i don't know what kind of speakers they use, i don't know if it is reliable or not, i don't know if this is a fair price.

I just gave as much information about it as i could, so people can tell me "Yes, you should buy it", or "No, don't buy it, you're being ripped off".
That's the kind of feedback i'm expecting.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Just give it a good looksie and see if it's worth the money. And if you think so, buy it!
O O

___