Page 1 of 2
Simple backing tracks to jam over?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Simple backing tracks to jam over?

Not sure what you are asking?

If you are asking if you can use backing tracks - Yes but it has to be your own.
what you could do is make stages like beginner, intermediate, hard and insane, something like that, put different songs into each category and then tell people to choose a certain song from say beginner and they learn it, record it and the send it to you.
You could make backing tracks via Guitar pro, and then people from the teams can do a bassline over it?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by luke-bassist
what you could do is make stages like beginner, intermediate, hard and insane, something like that, put different songs into each category and then tell people to choose a certain song from say beginner and they learn it, record it and the send it to you.

I was thinking about making it random opponents.

I was also thinking about having tasks like improv, bass sweep, bass slapping, bass solos, bass covers, and etc
I was going to say that you could get people to make up a bassline in a certain genre, and the best wins. However, two days is a bit steep for that, unless you extended it especially.

EDIT: About some of the things you said there: sweeping and tapping especially, not everybody on here is competent in these techniques. I myself can tap a bit, but I've never bothered my arse to learn to sweep.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by ScottB.
You could make backing tracks via Guitar pro, and then people from the teams can do a bassline over it?

They have to make there own backing tracks.
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
I was going to say that you could get people to make up a bassline in a certain genre, and the best wins. However, two days is a bit steep for that, unless you extended it especially.

How long?
Quote by Graveworm
How long?

Maybe four or five days, a week?
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by Graveworm

whoa there.

WHY?

edit: I dont think you should do specific techniques, I think genres would be better and more fair, because that way you can judge people on musical ability rather than just technical ability
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Oct 12, 2008,
I only have access to recording stuff once a week at band practice so a week seems like a reasonable recording time.

Edit: Techniques do seem to bias the outcome. Genres seem much fairer and focus more on musical ability rather than technical ability.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by Graveworm

It would make for a fairer competition if a standard backing track was created for all groups to use. Not everyone is able to create a backing track, and by using the same backing track you can judge better on what someone does with what they're presented with.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It would make for a fairer competition if a standard backing track was created for all groups to use. Not everyone is able to create a backing track, and by using the same backing track you can judge better on what someone does with what they're presented with.

My thoughts exactly
Quote by guitarhero_764

So the rules look something like:

- One week to record.
- backing tracks of the genre to be played are provided.
- etc.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Well if someone would like to contribute then that would be great.

Deliriumbassist?

I suck at it so.
tbh it should be your job to get them sorted. What makes you think ben has the time to make them or even wants to?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
tbh it should be your job to get them sorted. What makes you think ben has the time to make them or even wants to?

Exactly. I have enough on my plate modding this place, having a social life, researching and writing a dissertation, learning for 4 other modules, work and playing in a band to even start thinking about writing backing tracks.
Quote by ScottB.

No, need to be an asshole hole about it. I have two leagues that I'm doing. Bass and guitar. Why can't you guys just make your own backing tracks?

Either way it is going to be in a sort genre anyways even if I made one.

People on this site aren't that bias as you think.
Quote by Graveworm
No, need to be an asshole hole about it. I have two leagues that I'm doing. Bass and guitar. Why can't you guys just make your own backing tracks?

Not everyone has access to a good backing track maker.
I could do it with my band but they aren't really that good...
and it makes it so much easier to judge.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Graveworm

People on this site aren't that bias as you think.

I wasnt being an asshole about it, sorry if it came off that i was. But you should've thought it out properly before you took on two leagues at once.
If people made their own backing tracks people would end up being jusged on the whole thing, if there was one that everyone used, people can be judged on their bass playing, after all is this compostion called The UG bassist competition, or the UG compsoser competition?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by Victory2134
Not everyone has access to a good backing track maker.
I could do it with my band but they aren't really that good...
and it makes it so much easier to judge.

You can use guitar pro.
you still have the judging problem.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by ScottB.
I wasnt being an asshole about it, sorry if it came off that i was. But you should've thought it out properly before you took on two leagues at once.
If people made their own backing tracks people would end up being jusged on the whole thing, if there was one that everyone used, people can be judged on their bass playing, after all is this compostion called The UG bassist competition, or the UG compsoser competition?

Fine.

The Jam tracks will be provide here.

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list&cat=Jam%20Tracks

I will choose one of these on the day of the tournament. Are you ok with this? You will all have to use the one that I pick.

Seriously, you guys need to cut me some slack because i'm trying my best to please most of you.
Are you going to decide on a winner (can't think of the right word)? Are you going to create a poll for everyone to judge or are you going to choose a few people to judge? If it is the later then I will gladly do it. Otherwise I would join in but I don't have the time at the moment due to coursework.

Sorry if none of that made sense, I'm really tired at the moment.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Graveworm
Fine.

The Jam tracks will be provide here.

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list&cat=Jam%20Tracks

I will choose one of these on the day of the tournament. Are you ok with this? You will all have to use the one that I pick.

Seriously, you guys need to cut me some slack because i'm trying my best to please most of you.

I don;t understand that website, nevermind.

I think a lot of people would appreciate it if you gave us a demo run of a round, so people know what sort of thing to expect.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by fleajr_1412
Are you going to decide on a winner (can't think of the right word)? Are you going to create a poll for everyone to judge or are you going to choose a few people to judge? If it is the later then I will gladly do it. Otherwise I would join in but I don't have the time at the moment due to coursework.

Sorry if none of that made sense, I'm really tired at the moment.

Poll for everyone to judge.

There is one spot left and as soon it is full the contest will start.
Quote by ScottB.
I don;t understand that website, nevermind.

I think a lot of people would appreciate it if you gave us a demo run of a round, so people know what sort of thing to expect.

1. I give one person from each team the same task of the week
2. they submit the piece
3. I make a thread with a poll for EVERYONE to judge on the winning piece or task
4. I make a date for it to end
5. the person that has the most votes gains 5 points on there 40 from another teams 40 and this goes on til there is only one team left.

It is like those elimination threads.

You have to scroll down for the tracks on the site. Click on the track and under 'Ads by Google' press 'Mirror #1 << '.
Quote by Graveworm
1. I give one person from each team the same task of the week
2. they submit the piece
3. I make a thread with a poll for EVERYONE to judge on the winning piece or task
4. I make a date for it to end
5. the person that has the most votes gains 5 points on there 40 from another teams 40 and this goes on til there is only one team left.

It is like those elimination threads.

You have to scroll down for the tracks on the site. Click on the track and under 'Ads by Google' press 'Mirror #1 << '.

I like this idea, it should work!
Quote by Graveworm

i dun geddit

give us an example of a task
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
i dun geddit

give us an example of a task

Create the best G major solo.
It shouldnt be, it hasnt started yet
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by Graveworm
Create the best G major solo.

Can't you just require a solo over the backing track and not necessarily require it to be in a certain key? Personally, my improv isn't bad, but my theory is really ****ing poor and it would be easier for me to just come up with some random solo than it would to come up with a solo in a G major.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
Can't you just require a solo over the backing track and not necessarily require it to be in a certain key? Personally, my improv isn't bad, but my theory is really ****ing poor and it would be easier for me to just come up with some random solo than it would to come up with a solo in a G major.

It is just an example of a task.

BTW, it is in a scale and key.
Quote by Beast_Within

As long as you can do it in key, I don't see the need for a specific scale/mode
Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by ScottB.
As long as you can do it in key, I don't see the need for a specific scale/mode

I can definitely start in G, but I can't guarantee that the key won't change mid-solo. I usually just play whatever sounds good to me at the moment, and I honestly draw on past patterns and use of octaves to create solos much more than I draw on actual theory. Anyway should be interesting to see how badly I **** this up.

BeastEDIT: To Graveworm, could you just make the requirements specific to a key (or preferably, not specific to anything other than the backing track) and cut out the scale specification? I (and most likely several others as well) are going to have a hard enough time just creating a solo in X key.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Last edited by Beast_Within at Oct 12, 2008,
Page 1 of 2