Okay UGers, work your magic. My friend recently bought a Fender Stratocaster XII 12-String Electric Guitar with "vintage style tuners". Last night was his first time restringing it and boy let me tell you, it was difficult to watch. It took him about 10-15 minutes to put each string on, I really felt bad for him especially since I had no prior experience with this type of equipment and therefore could not help him. It ended up taking him almost two hours to restring the whole thing, as the strings kept flying off the tuning peg.

So my question is this: Is there a trick to restringing a guitar that has "vintage style tuners"? By that I mean, the machine heads which have the string hole in the center. Do you wrap the string around the peg, then just put the end of the string down the hole? Or do you put the string in the hole first and then just let the string wrap around the peg by itself? Or is it something else entirely? We tried both ways but could not find a viable method. Is there some special trick or is it just supposed to be a huge pain? Or are we just stupid?

And also, what is the advantage, if any, to having machine heads like these?

Thank you in advance for your input.

-Nate
can you describe the tuners with a little bit more detail, or maybe a picture?
im having a hard time visualizing this..
Vintage style tuners are pratically the same as normal ones.

It might be the fact it's a 12 string, maybe look up on the web how to change strings on them.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If it is a circle cut in half, don't bother putting the string down the hole. Just sit the string in groove so there is about 2-4 turns of slack on the ball end. Then just wind and trim the end off when it's tight.

I'm assuming if you look at it side on it is shaped like .
pull the string up the neck, cut of the string so that there's about 2 inches left that passes where the tuners are situated ( You need to make sure you have enough string to wrap it around the tuners once or twice :p, put the end of the string in the hole, wrap the string around the post once or twice. Tune to pitch and repeat.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
pull the string up the neck, cut of the string so that there's about 2 inches left that passes where the tuners are situated ( You need to make sure you have enough string to wrap it around the tuners once or twice :p, put the end of the string in the hole, wrap the string around the post once or twice. Tune to pitch and repeat.
This is fine, except I'd suggest two and a half/three inches. Two is cutting it a little fine, especially for the higher (E and B) strings.

And otherwise... there's no problem. 10-15 minutes to do each string? Yeah, sounds about right for a 12-string, they can be very fiddley and hard to 'control' properly. 6-strings won't be much faster either. you can get special tools that will wind the tuning peg automatically which saves you having to do it by hand, but even that's not much faster.

Sounds like OP's only used locking tuners before.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.