Ok, I have a yamaha pacifica, and I was wondering, if I were to put four bass strings on it, and tune it to the same pitch as a bass guitar, would everything be ok?

Thanks
no, it would break, and the thick bass strings wouldn't fit on the holes on the guitar, if you try this your guitar will break, end of story.

PS: Don't try it.

/thread
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
technically its possible, but the main problems would be that the strings would be so tight that the neck would start to warp, and it probably wouldn't stay tuned for longer than 3 seconds haha.

if you really want to try it out go for it, cause i'm just going off educated guesses.
but in my position i wouldn't do it, just for the safety of my guitar
The strings won't fit anywhere, that includes the machine heads, the nut, the bridge saddles. And you can break your guitars neck.
Quote by disturbed_hobo2
technically its possible, but the main problems would be that the strings would be so tight that the neck would start to warp, and it probably wouldn't stay tuned for longer than 3 seconds haha.

if you really want to try it out go for it, cause i'm just going off educated guesses.
but in my position i wouldn't do it, just for the safety of my guitar

the holes in the bridge and in the tuners are too small for the lowest string (maybe to thick for the second lowest string as well), but yes, the string he did get on would be out of tune in a jiffy, and if he put bass tuners on the guitar, then put on bass strings, and a bass bridge, his guitar neck would snap. even if it didn't, it would warp alot, and would be permanently ruined.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
i strongly suggest you do this.

but please, give us before and after pictures.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
^what he said.

maybe even a video, just so we can see it go *KASNAP* in your face.

seriosly though. i saw a thread exactly like this not even a month ago.

BRIDGE: it's a trem bridge. the tension alone will rip that out of the body. The saddles are too small, so you probably won't be able to string it anyway.

NECK: the scale is waay to small, thus giving you no chance in playing anything that is desirable to any human (or living animal)'s ear. The tension of the strings (if you can even fit them into your bridge) will either rip your neck clean off the body (assuming your bridge doesn't go first) or warp the living hell out of your neck, removing any chance of playability.

overall, this is a bad idea.

don't do it, shell out $100 and buy yourself a bass from a pawnshop.

and stop posting these "Guitar-to-Bass conversion" threads, for the love of god.

EDIT: Didn't notice that you were tuning to bass pitch, not guitar.

either way, just buy a bass.
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Oct 12, 2008,
Scale length is the biggest problem with this, you are looking at flop and mud city if you tried it.

I'm not quite sure why everyone is saying it would break the guitar, shorter scale length and much lower tuning equallys lower tension, the neck would be fine, it just wouldnt work as a bass.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
People who want to play bass should just get bass guitars =/
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by forstringwonder
i strongly suggest you do this.

but please, give us before and after pictures.

+3452362345263
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Everyone please quit saying this would break/warp the neck. It wouldn't. A regular bass guitar neck is built the exact same way a regular guitar neck is (Truss rod and Maple). Plus with the shorter scale (Assuming 25.5) it wouldn't have enough tension in the strings to do much to anything.

The shorter scale would make this thing have super floppy strings, and I dunno if it would hold tuning due to the gear ratios. The tuning machines were designed for a lot more tension from guitar strings. I guess on paper, yes you could do it, but it wouldn't be useful for anything. It would just be a guitar with bass strings on it.

Keep in mind that's assumming that you took a rat-tail file to the tuning machines (To allow the extra thickness to go through the holes), blocked the trem (If it has one), and took the same file to the saddles. Also you would need to get some flat files for the nut so the strings can seat properly into it.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The strings would be too floppy to even really make a sound if you tried to tune them an octave below standard guitar tuning. Instead just thoughtlessly cram a bass neck on the guitar so that it has a 34inch scale and viola--you have a gibson bass.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 12, 2008,
Let's look at this end-to-end

1. They will not fit on the bridge. (Absolutely no way on a string-thru)
2. They will not fit on the nut
3. Bass strings have slightly different tuners, there's absolutely no way of fitting the tapered end through the guitar tuning peg.
4. Even if you were able to somehow fit the strings on, the intonation would be horrible, even on a baritone, extended range, 28" scale guitar.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?