Poll: Easy or Hard stuff first?
Poll Options
View poll results: Easy or Hard stuff first?
Easy stuff
44 68%
Hard stuff
20 31%
Voters: 65.
Hello.
I'm still fairly new to guitar .
I'm a fairly CRAP player cos i recently started and I am wondering if i should play harder stuff ( like solos , playing hard songs etc )
Wouldn't playing hard stuff first making it a whole shitload easier later?
What do you recommend for teh guitar n00bz when they just start guitar?

Thankz
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
i say play semi hard at first cuz thatl make lots of stuff easier
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Basics first. Thats why theyre basics.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
All the easy stuff is what all the hard stuff is based on so its not exactly smart to go and try mental solos when you can't even play the basics first
start easy and get progressively hard, just dont do what lots of people do and stick to easy indie/punk songs.
practice speed acuracy technique alternate picking and stuff like that until ur almost flawless then u have time to think about learning songs
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I had a friend who plays bass and believed learning harder things first would make him better faster because the basics only slowed his progress. Needless to say, after almost a year of playing, he's a pretty horrible musician.
I'd say easy stuff first.. They will be at your skill level, meaning that they will be clean and accurate when played by you, and will also feel rewarding... Don't rush up cause all you are getting in the end is bad technique and sloppy playing. Take your time and work your way to more difficult stuff. It's how much effort and time you will put into guitar that is gonna reward you That's me though!

Edit: Also, trying hard stuff first is gonna require a huge amount of time with no results (at first) and WILL make you feel that you aren't progressing at all.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by X_Op3th_X
I'd say easy stuff first.. They will be at your skill level, meaning that they will be clean and accurate when played by you, and will also feel rewarding... Don't rush up cause all you are getting in the end is bad technique and sloppy playing. Take your time and work your way to more difficult stuff. It's how much effort and time you will put into guitar that is gonna reward you That's me though!

+1

Without a decent grasp of the basics you'll never make it past being crap.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by untitled039
All the easy stuff is what all the hard stuff is based on so its not exactly smart to go and try mental solos when you can't even play the basics first

I agree.

If I was you I'd Start with your basics and maybe do a couple easy songs and solos,
like learning smoke on the water, it has a easy intro that everyone knows, verse parts aren't hard, neither are the chorus's and the solo only has a few tricky parts that can be mastered with a metronome.

then just do progressively harder stuff
Blogging is Narrating your life to a world that doesn't care.
Quote by Metal5115
start easy and get progressively hard, just dont do what lots of people do and stick to easy indie/punk songs.

agree

start learning easy songs from bands that also have hard ones, and you can for example start with an intermediate one slowly and build up your speed until you can play it a the record speed (or even faster).

When I started playing, I can remember as if it was yesterday, I learnt Come as You are in the first day. Then I skipped like all of the nirvana songs, I believe that after come as you are I learnt Polly and then Smells like teen spirit or Drain you .

Then I went to green day and stuff like that, some Intros (enter sandman for example).

Just play what you want, but make sure you play it well, or try to

Ah, and have fun
1. start with something easy
2. master it.
3. go on to something just outside your skill range
4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until death
5. (optional, but SUPER RECCOMENDED) learn theory somewhere
Some Stuff that is very hard or complex to play will be very difficult because you havent learned the little tricks to make that certain sound or dont have a little bit of rythem/music theory to do it. So if i was you, i would pick out a hard song. then break it down learn it piece by piece. learn the rythems get a feel for the scales chords etc. and then come back to it.
I remember the first song i ever learned to play on guitar was Diary Of A Madman. and as a matter of fact to this day im still learning from it! lol you can get alot out of complex music.
Ok..
I think im going to try some easy / intermediate songs .
Any songs / bands you recommend?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Dude, always surpass your skill. You will advance really quick. But do it at a level thats no at the other extreme of being insanely beyond your ability. Pick something that is very hard, but that you can pick up.
have fun with the guitar, learn some easy fun songs to play. then as you start to progress and all these easy songs are cake, start stepping it up
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
well, no because to play harder stuff and even know what is going on you need to gradually build up to the level. So yeah, you will be able to play easier things when you can play hard things, obviously, but you have to play the easier things and build up the be good enough to play hard things.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
easy stuff is important, but always challenge yourself.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I voted hard stuff, but really that's as long as your practicing your scales and chord changes religiously and get a metronome. I was in way over my head for a long time, but when i did start playing stuff that was technically easier I was amazed at how easy it actually was. after chord structures like page then going to something like frehley it was so much easier.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Tool is proberly a good band to start with, it'll work on your timing and dynamics and most of their stuff is very easy to play, and sounds pretty rad when u get it right too I was in the same position as you when i first started playing, i wanted to try and play harder stuff, most of which was far beyond my capability but practicing by challenging songs (not difficult songs) with a lot of variation in skills over and over while learning basic scales and chord progressions, i could return to the more difficult songs and be able to play them

Thats just from my viewpoint, i would agree that it was slower getting started this way but is in some way more rewarding.

That is all.