I want an $1000 guitar at guitar center, but i don't want to pay that much money plus tax! So i was thinking about haggleing the price down.
What is a good goal to pay for that guitar?
Got any tips on haggleing?

Thanks.
First of all, dont be a dick to the salesman, its better if you're on their good side

And remember you wont be able to talk them down THAT MUCH, especially on a 1000 dollar guitar.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
First of all, dont be a dick to the salesman, its better if you're on their good side

And remember you wont be able to talk them down THAT MUCH, especially on a 1000 dollar guitar.

agree'd, you'll look like a humongous dick if you're going to try n be cheap, don't expect much help from them in the future if you're trying this...
guitar center doesnt do deals anymore!!! pretty sure you wont be able to haggle them at all...
Well Enough Alone
yes i can haggle
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

anyone can haggle. but GC does not make deals with anyone. ever. theyre too big and COOL to haggle with us now...even though they could afford to...
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
what type of guitar is it? they don't really negotiate on big name brands like fender.
Quote by sigur_ros6
what type of guitar is it? they don't really negotiate on big name brands like fender.

yeah, it's a fender
try a local music store, or see if guitar center will thrown in an upgraded case or something, but yeah i got my fender at guitar center and they really are hard to talk down on big name brands.
GUITAR CENTER DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT DO DEALS! you are either A. oblivious to the previous posts or B. living in the past
Well Enough Alone
Quote by Guitar_Jacob766
yeah, it's a fender

fender has like, set prices for everything.

Honestly, you can try, but the squirrel says you won't succeed
Quote by Slicer666
fender has like, set prices for everything.

Honestly, you can try, but the squirrel says you won't succeed

That squirrel does look mighty smart...
well just kiddin with ya... I don't have a GC anywhere near me but most big guitar shops in holland don't allow haggling, and judging by the other posts GC is pretty same with that
Quote by guitardude11
guitar center doesnt do deals anymore!!! pretty sure you wont be able to haggle them at all...

True. they won't give you anything.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by guitardude11
GUITAR CENTER DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT DO DEALS! you are either A. oblivious to the previous posts or B. living in the past

false.

I don't know if this scheme hasn't come to the GCs near me, but these guys wheel and deal all the time.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
... my birthday i walked into guitar center and ended up buying 670 dollars worth of stuff but the kicker was i bought my first guitar, amp, warrenties, and I still had to pay for a basic tuner, picks, and inexpensive (9.99) strap
Quote by JLT73
false.

I don't know if this scheme hasn't come to the GCs near me, but these guys wheel and deal all the time.

you're lucky because it's widley known now that GCs aren't doing this anymore
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
anyone will haggle if you try, i have got discounts at tesco before. you just need someone capable of doing the deal. 950$ may not be as good as 1000 but its better than nothing
Quote by JLT73
false.

I think it depends on a number of factors.

I always made deals with my local GC, however, just about a month or so ago, the person I normally always dealt with informed me that they no longer can haggle pricing.

It seems that GC stores have been kinda slow (individually) in adopting the policy. Don't exactly know why.

They still will match any price from any other retailer. Just make sure you have some sort of proof. It doesn't even have to be advertised. I was talking to a mom and pop store that I'm no longer near via email on various things and I managed to talk them real far down on a guitar plus a case that it normally wouldn't come with. To be honest, I really didn't want to drive all that way if I didn't have to, so I forwarded the email to the person I always dealt with in GC. Because the exact price and terms were indicated on the email, and because it was a legitimate email (from the other store), they matched it in price as well as even getting me a better case for the guitar than the other one was offering.

The other thing that you can do as far as dealing with GC is on trade-ins. although they won't outright drop the price on a straight purchase, if you're trading some equipment in, they'll work more on the price (or work more for the trade, whichever looks better on paper to them). Granted, it's still usually better to sell whatever you have outright, as you should make more money, but if you're having a hard time selling, or simply can't wait for whatever reason, it's another option to take.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
EDIT: ^ good points too.

generally:

be nice not nasty, don't act like you expect them to throw it off or you'll get their backs up. act more like if it doesn't come down to the price you want, that's their prerogative to do so as you aren't expecting them to have to lose money on the deal, but you might not take it if they don't get low enough.

don't offer a ridiculously low-ball offer (or they'll know you aren't serious). if it's $1000, don't offer $200 or something like that, it needs to be close enough to the sticker price to show you aren't just trying to rob them.

if you can find a price elsewhere for cheaper, that's about the best bargaining chip you can have. bear in mind, you have to act like you're willing to go elsewhere, and perhaps walk away if they won't match it (or at least get close). there's not much point in finding a cheaper price from, say, australia.

if they won't throw money off, sometimes they might throw some other items in. this is only worthwhile if it's stuff you want or need, but it'd be better getting these than nothing.

if there are any marks, dents etc. you could try pointing those out to get the price a bit lower. of course if there are too many you might just decide not to buy the thing... there's no point in getting $5 off if it's looks like it's been dragged through a hedge backwards, lol.

probably some other i'm forgetting.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?