Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a tube amp, combo or stack, that plays Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, SRV, Guns N Roses, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Clapton, Eagles, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne (Rhoads & Wylde), and etc...

I just want suggestions for the best possible tube amp that I could get for under $600, preferably lower than that.

Thanks.
Quote by THEKID546
Jcm 800.

Fixed.

Also: Sovtek Mig50.

Also: Peavey Windsor.
TS I'd try a peavey classic 30, traynor ycv50blue and ycs50, Crate v series. All those amps would need an overdrive to reach randy rhoades levels of gain but they could all pull it off.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
are you guys serious with the marshall?
the windsors would be good though
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
yeah because a jcm is 600 bucks...

i'd say a classic 30 or try some traynors
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Korg AX3000G
Squier M-80
Quote by imgooley
Fixed.

Also: Sovtek Mig50.

Also: Peavey Windsor.

well yah no shit buy he said he could only spend 600.
finding a 800 at that price is hard.
Quote by Kevin Saale
TS I'd try a peavey classic 30, traynor ycv50blue and ycs50, Crate v series. All those amps would need an overdrive to reach randy rhoades levels of gain but they could all pull it off.

YCV50 has tons of gain (though I've only played mine with a high gain JJ set). And I would say it is capable of most of those bands, but doesn't get AC/DC type tone at all.
Quote by ShredGod George
are you guys serious with the marshall?
the windsors would be good though

why get an amp that tries to emulate the tone your trying to get, when you could just the amp.
i say a 900 is his best shot i havent seen a 800 go that cheap unless your just ganna buy the head.
just the 900 marshall tone has got alot of the bands he wants to cover, covered.
^^It does have a good bit of gain, but I think it would need an OD to tighten it up for metal.

Quote by THEKID546
why get an amp that tries to emulate the tone your trying to get, when you could just the amp.
i say a 900 is his best shot i havent seen a 800 go that cheap unless your just ganna buy the head.

Because all the amps we mentioned sound better to our ears?
Quote by Kevin Saale
^It does have a good bit of gain, but I think it would need an OD to tighten it up for metal.

Yeah, to clean up the darker british voice a bit.
Quote by THEKID546
just the 900 marshall tone has got alot of the bands he wants to cover, covered.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/870353471.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/869759562.html
^that shut me up.
i dont know i every time im looking i cant seem to find a combo.
either way landing a 900 for what he wants would definately rule out a classic 30 or a windsor.
if your could get the 800 well of course go for it.
Quote by THEKID546

because they're 3x his price limit?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Kevin Saale

+1

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Ok so far:
Peavey Windsor - Does this have a good clean channel? Looks like a pretty good amp, maybe comparable to Marshalls.
Peavey Classic 30 - Looks alright, anything that stands out?
Traynor YC50 - A little more than $600, but somewhat in the range.
Crate V Series - Very affordable, great reviews, anybody have an unbiased review?

Any reasons why I should/shouldn't get one of these amps? (Be as unbiased as you can.)
get the crate definately for what you want its just what your looking for.
the marshall JCM900 go for 600 to 700 but hey who cares save your money and buy the crate v for 250 and buy some pedals or something.
I mean when you compare the two amps the 900 aint that much better.
nah im just kidding , seriesly just look into 900 most of the bands you had on there used a marshall, and altough they all used diffrent ones, a 900 would be closer to achieving that tone than a crate V series or a classic 30 or a windsor, its just the plain fact.
like i said they go for 600 700 but there right up your ally.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by electrictone
Ok so far:
Peavey Windsor - Does this have a good clean channel? Looks like a pretty good amp, maybe comparable to Marshalls.
Peavey Classic 30 - Looks alright, anything that stands out?
Traynor YC50 - A little more than $600, but somewhat in the range.
Crate V Series - Very affordable, great reviews, anybody have an unbiased review?

Any reasons why I should/shouldn't get one of these amps? (Be as unbiased as you can.)

The Windsor is a one channel amp. If you switch out the preamp tubes, you can get some headroom.

Classic 30- not a big fan, personally, but it gets the job done.

Crate V series- the V33 is very comparable to the Classic 30, but sounds more open to me, and I like the clean channel better. It comes in a 2x12 as opposed to a 1x12.
Crate V3112T with an OD pedal.

Quote by electrictone

The new ones are kinda shitty.

Chinese made, very fuzzy tone. I played the 18-watter and was kinda impressed at the time, but now that I look back and compare it to other amps, it doesn't measure up.

I don't think it could get anywhere near a Wylde or Rhoads tone.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by THEKID546
get the crate definately for what you want its just what your looking for.
the marshall JCM900 go for 600 to 700 but hey who cares save your money and buy the crate v for 250 and buy some pedals or something.
I mean when you compare the two amps the 900 aint that much better.

Yeah I know Marshalls are great but I think alot of the price has to do with the name :P

But yeah the crate looks like an affordable little steal, with the speakers replaced with some celestion clones and maybe some new tubes, it might sound pretty good.
Quote by electrictone
Those are discontinued...

Ebay.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
^well i say go for it, and i do agree with you about the name thing, but the amps just arent in the same ball park. Id say yah your right if you were considering buying an MG and a V .
and for the money its like your just throwing it away if you get a crate when you could have gotten the marshall.
but definately tho its all up to you.
Quote by electrictone
Crate V Series vs. Peavey Windsor Series?

Windsor is better, but for the love of all that is holy, please look used.
Quote by imgooley
Windsor is better, but for the love of all that is holy, please look used.

Used as in used traynors, marshalls, etc?
Quote by electrictone
What do you all think of this amp?

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/857350211.html

If you're in the area, then he might let you try it out. Probably a pretty good amp, but be sure to give it at least some time to warm up. Not often that something worthwhile shows up locally, so I'd say go for it at that price (he says he'll go cheaper for cash in hand), BUT it will be very loud. So you may want something smaller to get a great tone at lower volume.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Oct 12, 2008,
blues Junior!
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by gruenburger
blues Junior!

Just sold one of those. I prefer the YCV50 for more versatility (and actually prefer its clean tone).
I'm really starting to think that Traynor is too much of a good deal to pass by. I mean for half the price, it just seems like a really good deal.
I've heard the 80 is a good amp, don't expect any powertube saturation at anything but ear shattering volumes. Though, to be fair, the 50 would be almost as loud by the time you got it to powertube saturation.
Quote by electrictone
I'm really starting to think that Traynor is too much of a good deal to pass by. I mean for half the price, it just seems like a really good deal.

If you're interested in how they are made... The TV show "How It's Made" did their guitar amp episode on the YCV50 Blue. You may be able to find the video somewhere.
Also, can anyone explain the tonal differences between 6L6 and EL84 tubes.
I know the 6L6 are more "american" and the EL84's are more "british" I think. But I don't know exactly how this would apply to my styles, considering both american and british are great. Again, going for Hendrix, Zeppelin, SRV, Clapton, AC/DC, GunsNRoses, (60s-80s rock.)

FYI: Crate V33 - EL84, Crate V50 - 6L6
most of the bands you mention used British amps save maybe SRV so like i said last night in the Crate thread - the V33 is more vintage voiced. Some could argue vintage aka British.

Just my 2 cents, doesn't mean it's right. If you can't find a used amp that fits your bill then a Crate V33 should suit you fine. Like mentioned, you can always sell it later and possibly break even.
Read the damned stickies and then go pick out a damned amp.

I am not going to tell you which one of the amps you are looking at is better, because not one is better than the other. They're just different.
Page 1 of 2