Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my Fender Frontman 15G amp. I'm not really happy with it, and I figure my standard series squier is better than the amp, and doesn't need upgrading yet. It's SSS, and I play blues rock and classic rock, so I do not need any really gainy amps or anything. I'd be willing to buy and OD pedal, if it would make the amp worth it. My total budget would be probably MAX 300. I'm looking mainly for new reccomendations, but used are good too. I love in Edmonton AB (Canada), for pricing and used. I've been looking at the Epi Valve JR, Gretsch Electromatic G-5222 and fender Champion 600 on Musicians Friend...

Help!
-Warren

EDIT: Favorite artist are Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, so that's the sort of tone i need really. I was looking at fuzzes, too much though for some of the songs?
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Last edited by R.I.P.Jimi at Oct 12, 2008,
I'd say those are all good choices. I'd also try to test a crate v series, specifically the v18
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
crate v-series or epi valve jr. + bad monkey overdrive
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
was wondering. whats the difference between OD and Distortion? and Fuzz too, cause i know for Foxy Lady, Purple Haze sort of hendrix, a fuzz is good, but for other things it'd be too powerful...
Quote by Mister.Y

distortions heavier than overdrive, so is fuzz but it works differently
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
for new definately check out the small crates and epis.
if you can tough try getting a used fender BJ, youll love it
id say epi valve jr. + ibanez TS-9.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Kurt kobain and john frusciante, they use distortion, overdrive is any type of classic rock, and fuzz is well fuzz. You might like a muff too, it's really it's kind of thing though many people describe it like a cross between fuzz and distortion.
Does the TS do overdriven tones well? Or too metal?
Fuzz's seem good, i'd have to try one out. I was looking at the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz. worth $100?
Quote by Mister.Y

Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Laney 5w Lionheart combo. The ultimate low wattage tube amp.

MF shows it as a bit out of my price range here...
Quote by Mister.Y

that would be nice, crapping money lol.
Quote by Mister.Y

I like the new Super Champ XD, $279 , tube, tons of built in effects, and loud for such a small amp... it's 15 Class AB watts. Very Very versitile small amp.

The Champion 600 is just too quiet for me, It's a neat idea but not very loud. Not a fan of 6" speakers and seems a little overpriced for what you get. If the onlything you are looking for is a small bedroom practice amp, it might be an OK choice.

The Epi Valve Jr. is a pretty good amp (love mine), Very simple to use,... just turn it up and jam. There are tons of mods out there to do to them. I have an attenuator on mine so I can get that great tube crunch without waking the neighbors. Throw in some nice tubes and a Bitmo kit and the thing sounds like a $1000 boutique amp.

Crate Blackhearts are nice amp too. I think they sound better stock than the Epi Valve Jr. They also have a little more versitility. I've just never had good luck with Crates. Thats the only reason I didn't buy one over the Epi.
^ Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look around and see if anybody carries the amps I'm looking for. I'm thinking I might try out a Bad Monkey too, once I get a tube amp.
Quote by Mister.Y

Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
was wondering. whats the difference between OD and Distortion? and Fuzz too, cause i know for Foxy Lady, Purple Haze sort of hendrix, a fuzz is good, but for other things it'd be too powerful...

OD - distortion based on natural tube amp overdrive, usually low to mid gain. good as your main source of dirt or as a boost for an already driven amp.
suggested pedals:
Ibanez TS9, TS9DX and TS808 tube screamers
MXR ZW-44 and GT-OD Overdrives
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Digitech Bad Monkey
Fulltone OCD

Distortion - Distortion that generally has more hair than overdrive. usually mid to high gain. it's usually used as a main source of distortion, not very handy as a boost.
suggested pedals:
Boss DS-1
MXR Distortion+ and Distortion III
ProCo Rat
Big Muff PI

Fuzz - one of the first stompbox effects ever made. it has a very simple circuit and is very reactive to the way you play and how you manipulate your volume/tone knobs. it can be used as your main source of dirt, but you can lose definition with some fuzz pedals.
suggested pedals:
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Keeley Fuzz Head
Analogman Peppermint Fuzz
Dunlop Fuzz Face
MXR Silicon Fuzz
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i think you're along the right tracks, pretty much everything which has been suggested would be worth looking into. a fuzz would be cool if you played a lot of hendrix, but i'd probably only get one if you have enough for an overdrive too (unless the amp you get has enough gain for you out of the box)... as you said, it's probably a bit extreme for a lot of the classic rock (apart from the classic rock which uses fuzz)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ thats what I was thinking, 'cause hendrix takes some things farther than everyone else...I'll see if I like the OD on the amp I decide on, if not, or if i want OD at lower volumes, I'll get an OD pedal, and hold out for a fuzz later. Thank you Jhachey22 for the explanations and reccomendations.
Quote by Mister.Y

Another point with the fuzz is I found they sound much better when set mildly and used with an OD since they tend not to have a lot of output.
vjr+ts9 or crate v + ts9 should get very close to the tones u want
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
sounds good. I'll probably do something like that, and maybe get a fuzz on the side.
Quote by Mister.Y

So I've decided to try out the valve jr. and gretsch, i'm leaning towards the valve jr. so far based on reviews. I'm also almost 100% going witht he fuzz, after reading the reviews, as that hendrix tone is what i want. might as well go for it now.
Quote by Mister.Y

I have a Big Muff and a Crybaby in front of my EP Vjr and you can get Hendrix like tones from it.
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
that would be nice, crapping money lol.

I wouldn't really want to touch money anymore.

Personally, I would recommend the Champ 600. I thought it was a nice little amp for classic rock tones.