My life is going so well. University could not be going any better at the moment. I am sitting on a first. I have a great set of house mates and I am waiting on an acceptance to go on an industrial placement next year. I havent had any stresses or strains except the expected usual work load that is expected and I am getting great grades. My guitar playing is going well but I dont concentrate on it as much because of my degree.

However, recently I have been thinking. Have I wasted the last four years of my life. You see, I am 22 and I am single and for ages I didnt care about it. Now I have been thinking about what I have achieved in my life and throught out my life, I have had no one special that I could share my achievements with because I have been single the whole time. Ive been asking myself lots of questions, and I feel that it everything I have achieved is worthless without a special someone to share it with.

The question I put forward to you pit is the following:

Does achieving a great many honours become diminished if you have no one around you to share the success with?

See what I think is going on here is that I am getting to that "settle down and have kids/family age." This isnt getting me down, but its a niggling little thing in the back of my mind that I may have sacrificed my own happiness for great achievement.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
well, i haven't got a girlfriend and don't want one because i need time for guitar playing and studying etc, i personally hate company though, so i might be a bit different to you

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
yes
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
Maybe it isn't your fault. Maybe your just ugly?

Seriously though, I'm 21 and I can't imagine settling down right now.
Quote by julio1987
Maybe it isn't your fault. Maybe your just ugly?

Seriously though, I'm 21 and I can't imagine settling down right now.

I cant say for sure lol. I think I am but thats beside the point.

I dont know if achieving what I have has been worth it due to the socail sacrafices I have had to make.
That's far from a trivial thing. But maybe that is a factor as to why you feel "incomplete" to an extent.

Then again I'm 16 : /
Bros > Ho's.

Girls are gay and break your heart.
Friends are always there, and your housemates sound cool.
Quote by Sixp0under
Bros > Ho's.

Girls are gay and break your heart.
Friends are always there, and your housemates sound cool.

Yeah because they suck dick.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by CrackAddict2000
Yeah because they suck dick.

I was CLEARLY not being serious nor was i using the actual meaning of the word "gay" there.
i dont think so.. aslong as your having fun, getting the grades, and got some good mates your ok.. with good grades and honours the girls will come to you ... dont fret man, theres plenty of time yet.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

The others are right, husbands and wives dont just appear when you want them to come, they usually appear at social events that you go to, again you've neglected a bit your social life and its caused you to become lonely, I'm the same way because I'm playing guitar or reading up philosophy and other subjects most of my time, but you have to come to terms with the fact you could be by yourself for a while, you've done it for a number of years now, you can keep at it, again just go out 2, 3, times a week and go to bars, meet girls, and maybe you'll meet a special one, let it come to you, just go out and have fun for a while, and in the process you could meet her.
Quote by Eric 666
The others are right, husbands and wives dont just appear when you want them to come, they usually appear at social events that you go to, again you've neglected a bit your social life and its caused you to become lonely, I'm the same way because I'm playing guitar or reading up philosophy and other subjects most of my time, but you have to come to terms with the fact you could be by yourself for a while, you've done it for a number of years now, you can keep at it, again just go out 2, 3, times a week and go to bars, meet girls, and maybe you'll meet a special one, let it come to you, just go out and have fun for a while, and in the process you could meet her.

Thanks dude. It is true, I have been a house hermit for years lol. I seriously believed by age 22 I would have been settled down. Its just how I was raised I suppose... I cant wait for graduation, getting a well paid job etc. I want it all now and then some lol.
I'm kinda in the same position, only I'm in second year university... I have decent grades, good friends, good housemates, etc etc. I never used to care, but it's been really bothering me lately, since it seems like every person I'm close to is in a steady relationship. I don't think I'm quite at the 'settle down and have kids' stage, but a companion would be nice.
no offense dude you sound like a bit of a psycho maybe thats why you havent had a girlfriend. when i was 22 i was living it up but chilled out after 24 or so.
Quote by Guitardude19
Thanks dude. It is true, I have been a house hermit for years lol. I seriously believed by age 22 I would have been settled down. Its just how I was raised I suppose... I cant wait for graduation, getting a well paid job etc. I want it all now and then some lol.

lol, it happens man, you have a good thing to your advantage, you're 22, you can go to bars and places where I can't go since I'm still 17, again, just go out and have fun, if your roomates are really cool, have them come with you and it can be a guys' night out.
Quote by Sixp0under
BTW TS, you look like Noel Fielding.
Therefore annoying indie "ironic" slags/screeching idiotic "random" teenagers will dig you.

Fixed.
Quote by ChromaZon
no offense dude you sound like a bit of a psycho maybe thats why you havent had a girlfriend. when i was 22 i was living it up but chilled out after 24 or so.

Psycho? In what sense I am intruiged. What evidence do you have that I am in psychotic?

Quote by Eric 666
lol, it happens man, you have a good thing to your advantage, you're 22, you can go to bars and places where I can't go since I'm still 17, again, just go out and have fun, if your roomates are really cool, have them come with you and it can be a guys' night out.

Guys and GIRLS night out... Ooooh yea xD

Lol Ive been back at uni and Ive been out twice in the past 6 weeks... Meet cool new people but Im too busy to keep in contact in the sense of going out again so they think I dont dig them, even though I try and keep contact lol
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by Guitardude19
Psycho? In what sense I am intruiged. What evidence do you have that I am in psychotic?

i get the impression you try to advertise your success in an attempt to hide your insecurities i.e. not having had a girlfriend.
Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real.

Can't remember who said it, but, y'know.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by ChromaZon
i get the impression you try to advertise your success in an attempt to hide your insecurities i.e. not had a girlfriend.

Ah I get you now.

No thats not it at all, but then again how are you to know so I do understand where you are coming from. In all honesty I just wanted varied opinions from people who dont know me because friends opinions are sugar coated, and I dont like that.

Quote by szekelymihai

Omg that made me lol.

Quote by holy smoke
I'm kinda in the same position, only I'm in second year university... I have decent grades, good friends, good housemates, etc etc. I never used to care, but it's been really bothering me lately, since it seems like every person I'm close to is in a steady relationship. I don't think I'm quite at the 'settle down and have kids' stage, but a companion would be nice.

Yeah all of my friends are in a relationship and its starting to feel like I am missing something lol.
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by Guitardude19
Does achieving a great many honours become diminished if you have no one around you to share the success with?

Yes. I have, and it's all worthless to me, because no one really cares. That's why I'm depressed all the damn time.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
I'm kind of in the same position, although for me nothing is going right in the slightest. I left school at 16 in hope of getting an apprenticeship. I got one, but the company had to lay off workers so couldn't take me on, I might get on within a few years but it is doubtful. I decided to go to college, do a course, maybe get somewhere. Now I need Highers (A-Levels) and by leaving school I have made this far more difficult, and also, because of my nice nature and difficulty to say no, everyone takes advantage of me, parents, lecturers, friends, girls..

And I spend my entire income on alcohol and tobacco.